The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Gay character in ST XI?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Captain

Oh my, sorry for posting without having read all of the oppinions here, but I had this debate so often now in my lifetime, you hopefully dont take it as arrogance.

It really strikes me how little our western society has improved in terms of enlightenment. We have accepted many of the conclusions of enlightenment as democracy, freedom and civil rights, but only a very small portion of our societys have adopted the enlightened ways of thinking.

That becomes obvious whenever people debate this and that issue and come up with genetics, morale, tradition and whatnot... tradition is not an argument nor a reason, its a result of a cultural decision done by people who are dead scince a really long time. The idea of enlightenment is, that we do not need tradition as an argument, we have our own brains. The reason we do not kill is not the tradition, but our own reasoning that shows us again and again that to kill is no good.

What all that has to do with the possibility of a gay character in Star Trek?

From an enlightend perspective it doesnt matter wether to be gay is genetical, or moralic or tradition or wether it upsets some people or not. Gays exist, they live among us since menkind saw the first daylight and wether some people like it or not... they will stay. Some may go on trying to ignore that, I recommend to find ways of just living with it.

Now, just because mountains and trees and sunshine exist doesnt mean that a scriptwriter must force mountains and sunshine into his/her script for the sole sake of having it in just because its part of reality.

But to leave it out for the sole reason of leaving it out is equally silly.

So, what now?

If we really live in an enlightened progressed society, it shouldnt matter wether Joe Redshirt is tricked into a deadly trap by an Andorian female or male.
It shouldnt matter wether Ambassador Missiondispenser arrives with his wive or husband.
It shouldnt matter wether Cadett Johny Farfromhome writes a letter to his girlfriend or boyfriend.

Get the picture?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Federation Councillor

BB-

Using your logic, why not just have an all white, anglo-saxon crew?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
BB-

Using your logic, why not just have an all white, anglo-saxon crew?
I cant say I fully understand the reasoning behind your question. I just think an all white anglo-saxon crew wouldnt make much sense in the context of the Star Trek Universe, would it? And an all heterosexual crew would be even sillier.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Admiral

The way I'm reading it is having gay characters doesn't have to be "forced" any more than having a mountain or the sky is "forced"...it just is.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Ensign

Um that's also the way I understood the comment...
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Federation Councillor

If that was the way it was meant, then I appologize to you BB.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Captain

Exactly.

You can have a gay character in Trek as you can have blacks, whites, asians, male, female, redhaired, blue eyed, slim or heavier characters, just because all that is part of the human reality.

And if you want to visualize an enlightend progressed liberal future as in Star Trek it can improve this feeling for reality when a gay character is included somewhere as you include Phasers, Turbolifts, female Captains and 3d-chess.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Then I was mistaken in my reading of your post, again appologies.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Commander

Wait...let's not get started on "heavier" characters, because more often than not in Star Trek, they're painted as idiotic, inferior or even somewhat zealoted with only a few notable exceptions.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Captain

My fault. I have the tendency to write posts that can get misinterpreted relatively easy. And I just tryed to adress the argument often expressed that a gay character in Trek could upset people and thus should be forced out of the story. It doesnt do any good for any story to force anything. Stories must develop pretty natural to be convincing and feel real. A blindfold doesnt help the scriptwriter to achieve that.

PS: "Heavier" characters . I think all to heavy Starfleet officers would be a bit unrealistic anyway due to 23rd century food and Starfleet duty. But agreed, I am also a bit tired of the clichee.

PSPS: On the other hand... the Scotty in the movies was relatively heavy, wasnt he

Last edited by Botany Bay : 03-12-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Closed Thread