The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Gay character in ST XI?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Southern-

Ok...but what does that mean??
In a nutshell: Homophobia is a strong element in our society and is such that having a gay character in Star Trek has a very real potential to do damage and defeat the franchise's purpose for the upcoming movie.

I'm just saying people should give that some serious and objective thought.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpockette View Post
In addition, I for one am tired of movies that contain hidden political messages. I just want a good movie, not to go into a theatre and see something stuffed down my throat by a special interest group.
Well, I'm not going as far as to say we have to have a gay character or we have to have a female Captain or why is there no Austrian on board. BUT what made Star Trek special were exactly those hidden (or maybe not so hidden) messages. I wouldn't call them political though. I think Roddenberry's ideas where critical social ideas. And I think we need those ideas in Star Trek because otherwise it's not going to be Star Trek.

If you want to llimit yourself to pure action, please do so. But then I'd suggest you forget Star Trek and go to see the next X Men movie instead.

I, for one, am I looking forward to see great Star Trek on the big screen again, soon.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Federation Councillor

Oooooo, ok that makes more sense. With you on that one!

I disagree for the same reasons you mentioned. Ok, then expalin why "Will and Grace" lasted 7 seasons. Or why "The L Word" is one of the most popular cable shows. Using your definition, they should never have existed.

What I think is being said by most of us is that it shouldn't be shyed away from if it helps a story point.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSpockette View Post
In a nutshell: Homophobia is a strong element in our society and is such that having a gay character in Star Trek has a very real potential to do damage and defeat the franchise's purpose for the upcoming movie.

I'm just saying people should give that some serious and objective thought.
Right.
That brings your statement into a whole new light. I tend to agree as far as homophobia is concerned. But I still do hope that they will pick up on social issues and add some good morale to the stories like Roddenberry used to.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Federation Councillor

Sarah-

I belive Transporter Cheif Kyle (TOS) was from Austrailia, or at least the character was supposed to be....

Well said second post Sarash!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:02 AM
Admiral

I think many of you overestimate the "lack of acceptance" America (at least) feels for homosexuality and my impression has always been that Europe is far more accepting than America is. I believe most polls find that the majority of Americans believe homosexuality is not a choice, but the way someone is born. I believe the majority of Americans believe that gays should be allowed to serve openly in the military and I believe--despite the active voting block that keeps getting in the way--most Americans believe gays should have the right to marry.

As noted almost to the point of being boring, there is no reason to point a big arrow at someone and say "oh, look, our gay character!". With the exception of one line in one episode, no one ever said "Hey, Uhura's black!" yet, by just being there, she advanced the cause of civil rights in this country.

Okay, "gay" doesn't "show"...I know that, but how hard would it be to work in a line that indicates two background characters are probably a couple? Or, follow a tradition and have Kirk officiating at a wedding which happens to be two men when some nasty aliens attack. It doesn't have to occupy more than 10 seconds of screen time to be effective. If there are any so homophobic that 10 seconds with two men, fully dressed, ready to commit to a lifetime together is a problem, then they should turn in their IDICs because they obviously don't get the concept.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Ensign

lol
Did I say Australian? No! I said AUSTRIAN You're not going to find an Austrian character, Zardoz, don't bother going through the compendium. lol

Thanks I really did not manage to articulate my deeper thoughts in my first post at all. I'm just not so articulate when I throw a half Scottish/half Austrian temper tantrum. I blame it on my genes. Unfortunate combo. That's like lager and Scotch, simply doesn't go well together.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Sarah-

Can see Arnold (The Govnernator) on the Enterprise, "Kirk, I'll be back." "Asta La Vista, Mr. Spock." LOL.

Eliza- Again, very good points. I also agree with you 100%

I guess I understand it a tiny bit by being a BBW (Big Beautiful Woman) lover. I allways have been. Some people have issues with it, some don't. But it wasn't a choice for me, it's what is "right."
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Sarah-

Can see Arnold (The Govnernator) on the Enterprise, "Kirk, I'll be back." "Asta La Vista, Mr. Spock." LOL.
Aaaaction and thank you!

lol
thanks for putting that image into my head
lol

P.S: Big Beautiful Woman lover? Love ya for that!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Ensign

Eliza,

great comment!
Closed Thread