The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Poll re: Ghostbusters 3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2009, 10:31 PM
Vice Admiral

The question is... why is that plot idea a gimmick? Its as good or bad as any other and in the realm of that kind of story its not far fetched. It should work at least as well as bringing Spock back from the dead.

Lindsay Lohan? I just cant picture her as the sweet happy character who says "Oh, Brad".
Old 12-22-2009, 05:09 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post

Lindsay Lohan? I just cant picture her as the sweet happy character who says "Oh, Brad".
At that point I think I'd have to join the transexual Taliban.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
The question is... why is that plot idea a gimmick? Its as good or bad as any other and in the realm of that kind of story its not far fetched. It should work at least as well as bringing Spock back from the dead.

That's the thing, it's exactly what we'd expect them to do. No shock value there.

I'm thinking Steve Carrell as Brad and Hillary Duff as Janet. Magenta? How bout Marilyn Manson? He sings better than Megan Fox.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
THAT made me laugh!

Seriously though, DO NOT mess with Ghostbusters. The original film was a classic and should be left alone. I loved the three leads equally because (as noted above) how well they played off each other. Replacing any one of them woud kill that chemistry. How well did the Blues Brothers sequel turn out, eh?

Killing off Venkman and bringing him back as a ghost is just an example of the silliness they are stooping to to indicate to me that the film would be trash. If a gimick like that is the best they can think of then I can't see the movie being funny enough by script alone.

I heard they were thinking of doing a Rocky Horror remake with Adam Lambert as Frank, Lindsay Lohan as Janet, Aston Kutcher as Rocky, Kelly Osbourne as Columbia... WHY?! Just because they can do it? There are many more things that could be done than should be done.
I agree with a very enthusiastic 100%
Old 12-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

I still think that if they want to continue the franchise, keep making more video games. The one from this summer was beyond excellent!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I still think that if they want to continue the franchise, keep making more video games. The one from this summer was beyond excellent!
See I think you've illustrated the problem. From the studio's perspective, continuing the franchise implies $$$$ much more than creating a product to be proud of. No one younger than 30 really remembers the original movies, so if the studio can attract a new band of high school kids to become fans it will rejuvinate the marketing potential. Call me old-fashioned, but I think a classic should be best remembered as such. I mean, re-booting something that was popular 25 years ago just in order to make money.... (good thing Paramount never did anything like that, eh)
Old 12-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
Call me old-fashioned, but I think a classic should be best remembered as such. I mean, re-booting something that was popular 25 years ago just in order to make money.... (good thing Paramount never did anything like that, eh)
Indeed.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:53 AM
Lieutenant

Yeah, but Paramount's reboot project was done with the same group of characters, the franchise's staples. This isn't a comparrison of apples-to-apples. This movie will introduce a new set of characters, and part of the process for doing so apparently includes the "killing off" of at least one of GB's staples in order to accomplish a supposed "reboot".

My prediction is that there will be a lot of very unhappy people, if that prooves to be true.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Captain

Well, if it does happen, everyone will get what they want. The studio will get $$$ plus another 5 years of guaranteed merchandising, the kids will get a new movie to drag their parents to, and us... we'll just ignore it.

The first time I saw Ghostbusters... I was between my junior and senior years in HS. My best friend and I had gotten accepted to a science training program at UC Davis- we lived in the dorms like college students, attended their lab sessions, and rode bikes all over that gorgeous campus. On weekends, we had awesome fun times. The whole lot of us went to see Ghostbusters on July 4th. There was already an East Coast-West Coast rivalry brewing between us so when the NY Public Library came up onscreen, my group went nuts!

That was also the first time I had ever seen a commercial in a movie theatre. I remember this big flashy DORITOS-DEFINITELY ad come up. We were all pissed. One of the guys in our group then stood up and shouted at the screen, I'm never gonna buy them as long as I live!" That was one of the best summers I ever had.

Sorry to ramble, but that really was an awesome time in my life. Any other Ghostbusters memories from anyone?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Federation Councillor

The librarian 'turning' was one of those 80s moments that I always had to turn my head away during when I was younger watching it!

I was about 8/9 something like that when it was on UK TV.

courtesy of Saquist