The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > THATS STUPID! (A thread for stupid things)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Federation Councillor

Yeah, everyone wants things their way, no matter what. It truly riles me up a lot of that kind of attitude in people. It's just not realistic.

No matter what it's about!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Admiral

I just watched the Scottish news. A primary school were going to take pupils to an outdoor centre in the Cairngorm mountains for a holiday. But the mother of a child with Muscular Dystrophy has complained because her child is physically unable to participate so the whole class can now not go.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe that as many things as possible should be accessible to people with disabilities but some things just are not and children with disabilities have to learn this. I have a mild disability and can't play tennis, do gymnastics or do much that puts pressure on my hands and wrists. So I accept it even though I loved playing tennis.

Anyway... rant over!

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
I just watched the Scottish news. A primary school were going to take pupils to an outdoor centre in the Cairngorm mountains for a holiday. But the mother of a child with Muscular Dystrophy has complained because her child is physically unable to participate so the whole class can now not go.

Now don't get me wrong, I believe that as many things as possible should be accessible to people with disabilities but some things just are not and children with disabilities have to learn this. I have a mild disability and can't play tennis, do gymnastics or do much that puts pressure on my hands and wrists. So I accept it even though I loved playing tennis.

Anyway... rant over!
I just saw that!!

If I was a parent of the other kids I would be furious at that decision.

The child has muscular dystrophy and there are going to be a great many activities and school trips that she may never be able to participate in fully as a result. That is no reason to cancel an established school trip as a result. There has to be, as one other parent said, some give and take amongst expectations.

I don't think the mother has thought it through. It's probably actually going to create more fuss and alienate the child than if they had just accepted it was something their child could not do and let the other children enjoy themselves.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Part of the education of that child has to include helping her to understand that there will always be things she isn't able to do. Too many parents, and not just the parents of children who have disabilities, are giving their children unrealistic expectations in life.

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 12-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Federation Councillor

Exactly - as I don't have a disabled child I can't imagine how hard it has to be to try and explain that to a young child.

It's hard enough explaining to able-bodied kids why they can't have/do something without something like Muscular Dystrophy in the mix as well.

But all the mother has done is draw even greater attention to her child and not in a positive way.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Admiral

I agree completely. I hope Inverness Council reverses it's decision

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/8427762.stm

Old 12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I don't think the mother has thought it through. It's probably actually going to create more fuss and alienate the child than if they had just accepted it was something their child could not do and let the other children enjoy themselves.
The US has similar things of course. Other than the usual conflicts that have been around forever one of the more common attempts are banning books such as Harry Potter.

School children can be very mean to others they dont like for even the simplest of reasons. Maybe even bad haircuts or nerdy clothes. The parent could ask the school to do something else equal to it that takes the disability into account. Sure it will be expensive but its their duty to treat every student fairly.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
The US has similar things of course. Other than the usual conflicts that have been around forever one of the more common attempts are banning books such as Harry Potter.

School children can be very mean to others they dont like for even the simplest of reasons. Maybe even bad haircuts or nerdy clothes. The parent could ask the school to do something else equal to it that takes the disability into account. Sure it will be expensive but its their duty to treat every student fairly.
Legally the school has to make "reasonable adjustments" for any pupil or staff member with a disability. However music shouldn't be banned because some children are deaf and can't enjoy it to the same extent. The same goes for art for blind children. Some limitations just have to be accepted. It's a shame for the little girl but sadly life is unfair and she got the ****ty end of the stick on that one but it's the way things are.