The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Predecessor of Jorde's Vizor?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 02:46 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think it is safe to say that science-fiction speculates about future technologies, extrapolates current trends and sometimes inspires scientists to allocate their research efforts on the de-fictionalization of hitherto mere fictional technologies.
An example for extrapolation is the classic German sci-fi movie "Frau in Mond" features a rocket similar to the ones that were shot on the moon about fourty years later due to the assistance of "rocket scientist" Oberth. We all should have heard that name at least once.

There is a feedback mechanism between science and sci-fi, but one shouldn't exaggerate its importance. It is not like we wouldn't have self-phones today without Star Trek.

(Sigh!) I wish some others on this forum (who will remain nameless in the spirit of good taste and peace) would practice such refreshing logical train of thought. A very true statement.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I don't see any scientific inspiration in the previous ten Trek movies. It might have inspired some people to read Melville, Shakespeare or learn Klingon, but that's hardly world-changing. Especially the latter is not.

As usual, Trek lives on TV. Movies are just the little extras, the 13th salary, the cream on the cappuccino.
Horatio, I'm going to make a "Horatio Appreciation Thread"!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
...I feel like Trek was the nerdy kid that had few friends, now it has bought new clothes and put down the books, carrying an iPod instead... while everyone (mostly) is cheering that it has more friends than before.
All things must change...All things must grow--to evolve, or they cease to exist. Change can be painful. Change can come gradually and seamlessly, like the beak of a finch. Change can come abruptly, like an island landscape under a volcano's mighty roar. But the energy behind all change is the same: growth...survival...profitablity of the species/art/culture/etc.

Time will tell if this evolutionary branch of Trek will survive or not. It is a movie, so it will not have the life-span of a TV series, but the metrics to determine if it was a "successful" off-shoot has been discussed on other threads. Change, be it gradual or abrupt, is never easy--and to some, the changes can be distasteful. But it is always necessary, and time will tell if this branch of Trek will have been the right course. So far, by empirical evidence in this very subjective form, it's off to a very good start.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Captain

It has been a very interesting discussion on "inspiration", and be it Roddenberry or Sagan...Shakespear or Thoreau, we get our inspiration from "here and there." I find it so interesting how science imitates art at times! I just hope those Honda robots aren't predecessors to Cylons!
Old 12-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
(Sigh!) I wish some others on this forum (who will remain nameless in the spirit of good taste and peace) would practice such refreshing logical train of thought. A very true statement.
Psshh, it's just my pointed ears which trick you.
Seriously, thanks for your kind words, you are one of the nice folks which make this board so great.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
All things must change...All things must grow--to evolve, or they cease to exist. Change can be painful. Change can come gradually and seamlessly, like the beak of a finch. Change can come abruptly, like an island landscape under a volcano's mighty roar. But the energy behind all change is the same: growth...survival...profitablity of the species/art/culture/etc.
Very poetic, you get that from something or did you write it yourself? True stuff though, things have changed a lot in treks 40 odd years and change isn't going to stop. And I agree, new trek is off to a good start.