The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Predecessor of Jorde's Vizor?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
And in fact, cell phones were developed over a decade before Motorola launched the StarTac clamshell phone which started to resemble the communicator/tricorder.
Are you simply ignoring the fact that the designers of the Startac phone have mentioned Star Trek and the flip communicator as inspiration for it's design?? I have NOT claimed any technology in particular would not exist without Trek. But I do give credit where credit is due.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
True. No argument from me. But you are ignoring the fact that Trek HAS inspired many people. THAT is my point.
But not everyone - that is my point.

Quote:
I believe it is possible that Trek inspired this invention. Must EVERY article that mentions any new technology mention the inspiration from which it came?? What is that saying??? "lack of evidence is not evidence".... or something like that. Because the Bible does not mention dinosaurs, then they must NOT have existed!! (I'm not trying to start a bible debate, just making a point)
It might be possible but if you are going to use the article to stick in a dig because you want to, it would be preferable if you could actually prove your initial assertion.

Otherwise it's just hi-jacking for your own satisfaction.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-11-2009, 01:15 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Are you simply ignoring the fact that the designers of the Startac phone have mentioned Star Trek and the flip communicator as inspiration for it's design?? I have NOT claimed any technology in particular would not exist without Trek. But I do give credit where credit is due.
No - simply equally ackowledging that it was more a design influence in the evolution of existing technology.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

Yep, superimposed upon what already existed.

Let's take warp drive. The little I know about theoretical physics is that the folks who have taken a look at it have come to the conclusion that warping space demands exorbitant energies. In other terms, they have taken a look at it and said "not feasible".

Let's take beaming. Teleportation is hardly a Star Trek invention, but the folks who experiment with quantum teleportation probably think about Trek's beaming from time to time. Most likely it has virtually no impact upon their research priorities though.


I think that Trek has rather inspired people to do a certain job. Jimmy Doohan has often talked about fans who have written him that they decided to become engineers because of him, Goldberg has been inspired by Nichols' character and I am sure there are also some doctors out there who have been influenced by McCoy.
And there are lalso ess life-chaning inspirations in Trek. The one or other guy might have picked up a Shakespeare or Gilgamesh copy because of Trek.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
You know... the guy or gal that has worked so hard to bring this type of technology to fruition was probably inspired by Geordi LaForge. I wonder if NuTrek will inspire anyone to do anything important. Seems doubtful
What definition of "probably" means "was" or "for certain"???

I also wonder why stating that Trek has inspired many people somehow implies that EVERYONE must have been inspired by Trek??
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-11-2009, 01:36 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Yep, superimposed upon what already existed.

Let's take warp drive. The little I know about theoretical physics is that the folks who have taken a look at it have come to the conclusion that warping space demands exorbitant energies. In other terms, they have taken a look at it and said "not feasible".

Let's take beaming. Teleportation is hardly a Star Trek invention, but the folks who experiment with quantum teleportation probably think about Trek's beaming from time to time. Most likely it has virtually no impact upon their research priorities though.


I think that Trek has rather inspired people to do a certain job. Jimmy Doohan has often talked about fans who have written him that they decided to become engineers because of him, Goldberg has been inspired by Nichols' character and I am sure there are also some doctors out there who have been influenced by McCoy.
And there are lalso ess life-chaning inspirations in Trek. The one or other guy might have picked up a Shakespeare or Gilgamesh copy because of Trek.
Indeed, lots of people derive their inspirations from different sources and employ them to different degrees.

Probably a lot of people chose to become medical staff watching shows like 'St Elswhere' and 'er', or were inspired to change their lives maybe because of experiences that characters had.

Any sufficiently popular and influential TV series can have this effect. It is not unique to Star Trek, merely to certain fields of study moreso than others. It is important to remember that Star Trek has had influences, but that in the world of sci-fi, it is also not the sole influencer.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-11-2009, 01:37 PM
MrQ1701's Avatar
MrQ1701 MrQ1701 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Espanola, New Mexico
Posts: 3,940
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
No - simply equally ackowledging that it was more a design influence in the evolution of existing technology.
Did I ever claim the influence was anything more than in design?? I never claimed cellphones were invented because of Trek.
__________________
To secure the peace is to prepare for war. -Metallica
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-11-2009, 01:37 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
What definition of "probably" means "was" or "for certain"???

I also wonder why stating that Trek has inspired many people somehow implies that EVERYONE must have been inspired by Trek??
When it's used to imply that no-one will be influenced by any new Trek.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 12-11-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 PM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,282
Default

I don't see any scientific inspiration in the previous ten Trek movies. It might have inspired some people to read Melville, Shakespeare or learn Klingon, but that's hardly world-changing. Especially the latter is not.

As usual, Trek lives on TV. Movies are just the little extras, the 13th salary, the cream on the cappuccino.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,990
Default

I watched TOS reruns as a kid on TV, but it was really the movies that brought me in!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:18 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.