The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > TMP 30th Anniversary
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Rear Admiral

I told my dad when it was the anniversay and he just couldn't believe it's been that long ago. He saw it in theaters when it came out back in '79.

J.J. "Binks" Abrams is taking over sci-fi!
Fans Expendable
Old 12-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Fleet Admiral

Hell, I can't believe it's been that long!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Seeing "ST-TMP" in the theatre in 1979 was indeed a blast! It was the first one, not the best one, but as Mark Altman points out, it did indeed start what would be a long and successfull series of movies for Paramount.

As an old school fan, I don't think the TNG crew transitioned as well to the movies. The biggest reason being they were on TV for 7 years and had many good, mediocre and bad adventures. The original shows 10 year off vacation and only 3 seasons of product made all of us original fans fun to the theatres like Pavlov's dogs every 2 years just because of so little Trek being out there.

Had TNG only run for 3 good seasons...(...and in my opinion the show didn't really hit its stride until year 3) Maybe there would have been a bigger desire to see them at your local multiplex.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Ensign

I enjoyed the Director's Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture with updated effects. The only thing I didn't like about the film was that Decker and Ilia were the ones saving the universe and not the crew itself. I've considered them to be extraneous.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gennarelli View Post
Seeing "ST-TMP" in the theatre in 1979 was indeed a blast! It was the first one, not the best one, but as Mark Altman points out, it did indeed start what would be a long and successfull series of movies for Paramount.

As an old school fan, I don't think the TNG crew transitioned as well to the movies. The biggest reason being they were on TV for 7 years and had many good, mediocre and bad adventures. The original shows 10 year off vacation and only 3 seasons of product made all of us original fans fun to the theatres like Pavlov's dogs every 2 years just because of so little Trek being out there.

Had TNG only run for 3 good seasons...(...and in my opinion the show didn't really hit its stride until year 3) Maybe there would have been a bigger desire to see them at your local multiplex.
Well stated. And I bolded your last part to help make a "sort of" point.

If the Next Generation had only run three years, and then had several years out of the public eye (save for reruns), it probably would've made a much bigger impact on the theatrical transition. By that time, big screen writers/directors would've been brought in to try and rekindle that flame...and do it with the bang that TNG needed. Speaking on a purely visual basis, TNG's FX were "so-so to cheesy" in its first season, slightly more improved by second season, and then markedly improved by third...but it was still very much in its infancy. If several more years had gone by without a new TNG episode produced, and then the movie was brought to the big screen, I think the leap would've been much more obvious on a visual level....and definitely on a story-telling level. (Not to mention the emotional impact on all us lil' Trekkies. )

That's why I was so disappointed with Gen, FC, and Ins when they came out. Great episodes....but definitely not big screen events. Generations only came out about a year after TNG went off the air, and there was no leap. Oh, sure, it was ON the big screen, but it just didn't FEEL big screen. Same with First Contact and Insurrection. Nemesis, whilst being the most flawed story, at least had some big screen feel to it. It was directed by a big screen director, and co-written by a big screen writer. Sadly, it fell on its face for a number of reasons....but it still felt like the TNG movie I'd sorely waited for.....and then Trek '09 comes out and blows them ALL out of the water.