The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > TMP 30th Anniversary
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Captain

I think each movie (even V) had some good points and some not so good. All eleven films. There are places in every single one of the movies where I can get up and go the the bathroom or pop some popcorn and leave it running. There are places in the movies I rewind and watch more than once. I am a Star Trek fan and I love all 5 series and all 11 movies! Some more than others. When I went to the opening of each movie i was blown away and I would come out thinking how good certian parts were. I just love to watch Star Trek.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlescott View Post
I think each movie (even V) had some good points and some not so good. All eleven films. There are places in every single one of the movies where I can get up and go the the bathroom or pop some popcorn and leave it running. There are places in the movies I rewind and watch more than once. I am a Star Trek fan and I love all 5 series and all 11 movies! Some more than others. When I went to the opening of each movie i was blown away and I would come out thinking how good certian parts were. I just love to watch Star Trek.
I feel exactly the same. There was always excitement and anticipation going into every Trek film I've seen in the theaters. The argument is more about how some of the movies just don't have the scope of a movie. Doesn't mean that they're bad, just that they probably could have been done just as well on TV.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
There were indeed what one could call 'structural weaknesses' in late VOY and early ENT.
But then again TOS had a bad last season and TNG had a bad first and last season.
I've been DVRing a lot of the first season TNG episodes from one of my local stations. Really fun 80s goodness.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Federation Councillor

Season 1 TNG was really harshly regarded at the time. These days I find it amongst the most enjoyable full seasons.

Of course, I kinda did then as well!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Fleet Admiral

I was WAY too little to remember it plus my dad hated TNG at first.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Season 1 TNG was really harshly regarded at the time. These days I find it amongst the most enjoyable full seasons.

Of course, I kinda did then as well!
I think the second season is similar but a bit more mature and thus better. But as much as I like early TNG, it also had the most stinkers. The TNG Ferengis, the capture the white woman story, the Okona episode, the Irish guys and the clones, that's pretty bad stuff.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think the second season is similar but a bit more mature and thus better. But as much as I like early TNG, it also had the most stinkers. The TNG Ferengis, the capture the white woman story, the Okona episode, the Irish guys and the clones, that's pretty bad stuff.
I don't mind the early Ferengi so much, the 'Code of Honour' episode I swear was something pulled right out of the 1960s though!! Okona was poor (Teri Hatcher aside) and I kinda like that clones episode from the cloning perspective - but the Irish folks are pretty appallingly retrograde, even for 80s TV!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I don't mind the early Ferengi so much, the 'Code of Honour' episode I swear was something pulled right out of the 1960s though!! Okona was poor (Teri Hatcher aside) and I kinda like that clones episode from the cloning perspective - but the Irish folks are pretty appallingly retrograde, even for 80s TV!
Okona is on my DVR queue...but only for Teri Hatcher...and to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Fleet Admiral

Now that I think about it, the first season wasn't really so bad. Lwaxana Troi, Lore, Q, all important secondary characters have been established. But unlike in TOS and like in all subsequent series, the main characters needed quite some time to get into gear.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

The 1st season is enjoyable on many fronts IMO. It has a semblance of TOS camp to it even