The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > TMP 30th Anniversary
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2009, 05:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Default TMP 30th Anniversary

Cool article to go with it.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/12/07/dece...r-trek-movies/

I don't think TMP is the greatest Trek film, or even a great film in general and yet it truly is the only Trek movie (aside from XI) that feels like a huge epic.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Cool article to go with it.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/12/07/dece...r-trek-movies/

I don't think TMP is the greatest Trek film, or even a great film in general and yet it truly is the only Trek movie (aside from XI) that feels like a huge epic.
Agreed....and to supplement that thought, before ST09, only the first six Trek films, and Nemesis really felt like big screen movies.

Consider the ten year span between the final episode of Trek and the release of TMP into the theaters. Visual FX and production values went through the roof in that time (even in the theaters), thank you George Lucas. When TMP hit the big screen, it did indeed look like a big screen epic. ST II also had the big screen epic feel. The remaining four original crew movies kinda toned it down a bit...but still had the big screen feel.

Star Trek the Next Generation goes off the air with motion picture quality effects, and a year later, Generations comes out...with no appearance of a major leap from the small screen to the big screen. It literally looks like a television ep that just appeared on the big screen. Same thing with First Contact and Insurrection.

Even though Nemesis didn't do well, it had the big screen feel, thanks to a big screen writer (John Logan, Gladiator) and a big screen editor turned director (Stuart Baird, Executive Decision). The end result may have been a wee bit disasterous for most folk, but up until Trek 09 came along and trounced everything before it, Nemesis was the big screen film I'd waited for.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yep. I still agree with you about Nemesis. I would say that out of the first six, that Star Trek III felt the most like a TV episode in terms of scope.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Vice Admiral

I don't think The Motion Picture was that bad do you think it was

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Nope, it's alright. The Director's Cut is far better than the original release.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

Agreed, jla...but I will say this...the blu-ray of ST: TMP is simply stunning, and it's the original theatrical release!

Old 12-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
Yep. I still agree with you about Nemesis. I would say that out of the first six, that Star Trek III felt the most like a TV episode in terms of scope.
I can kinda see that, yeah. The photographic quality of it was very "80's television-esque". And hell, even if you look at ST V and VI, there's a sort of "next generation" television quality about the texture...but at least they still felt like "big screen" flix.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
I can kinda see that, yeah. The photographic quality of it was very "80's television-esque". And hell, even if you look at ST V and VI, there's a sort of "next generation" television quality about the texture...but at least they still felt like "big screen" flix.
Yep. The third one just exudes low budget feel to me.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I asked my dad if it felt like 30 years since the first Star Trek movie came out. He said it didn't feel like that long ago...

Here's to the best of the first ten films!!!

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 12-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Captain

30 years... $hit, this just makes me feel so fu*king old! I was in 7th grade, saw it on opening day, and reviewed it for my school's science newspaper. I remember writing something to the effect of "have they gotten so old that they cannot take a punch anymore?" in response to the lack of action that the average 12 year-old is looking for in a movie. Oh and something about the lack of phaser fire too... "One measly photon torpedo?!" Despite that, I immediately went out and purchased the cassette tape (NOT the 8-Track) of the score, which I played incessantly while doing my homework over the next two years (intermixed between the Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back soundtracks).

OK that was then. Now, through the eyes of an adult, I know how important TMP was in resurecting the franchise. Say what you will, but I'd rather watch TMP again than see XI again, partially for the nostalgia but also because of the story. Going from TV to big screen isn't a natural process but I think there was definitely an evolution that the movies went through. I don't go by the "big screen feel" but by how much I enjoy watching what I'm seeing to determine the quality of a movie. Special effects are great but without good dialogue, I'll feel empty in the end. For example, ST-IV was the only one of the first 6 movies in which there are no deaths and no one is even shot by anything, and I didn't even miss all that.