The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Different favourite character to the originals
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 AM
Commander

Damn it ... McCoy of course.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Lieutenant Commander

McCoy and then Kirk as a close second. Which is odd considering that Spock is my favourite from TOS. But Urban and Pine were absolutely brilliant in their respective roles and I thought the chemistry and dynamic between the two was totally off the charts.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Ensign

Christopher Pike was my favorite right from the get-go!!
Why you ask?? BRUCE GREENWOOD that's why!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Vice Admiral

They really played the younger versions of the TOS characters well didn't they but do you think the characters have more flaws than the original characters because they in the original series were well experienced and older were they older.

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
They really played the younger versions of the TOS characters well didn't they but do you think the characters have more flaws than the original characters because they in the original series were well experienced and older were they older.
Nö, Greenwood played an older version of the TOS character

Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks
Nö, Greenwood played an older version of the TOS character
Yeah, I totally agree with that. Originally, there was only about 10 years or so between Kirk and Pike, so he really should have been around McCoy's age in the movie, IMO (late 30s). Pike's gravitas is what Greenwood brought to the role.

This isn't an actual criticism of the film, but for me, the new cast really didn't play younger versions of the TOS characters at all with the possible exception of Urban and Yelchin (Kirk was originally a no-nonsense bookworm who didn't become a notorious maverick until later in life and Spock had a tendency to smile and shout at times). What the new cast did do, however, was take the most memorable aspects of these characters and then put their own spin on them, IMO--but I think it worked for the movie.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:47 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The 'Big Three' were all portrayed extremely well - so well I can scarcely pick between them. Overall, I'd say Urban's McCoy just pipped Pine's Kirk at the finish line, but Pine absolutely nailed Kirk's can-do arrogance. "Bull****!"

Of the rest... Greenwood's Pike was sensational - as I was expecting! - and I thought Cho's Sulu hit all the right buttons (except the one releasing the parking brake, that is). It was really nice to see him kicking serious Romulan arse on the drilling platform after all those years of simply sitting and sweating at the helm... Loved Saldana's Uhura, too.

Of course, it goes without saying that Nimoy was great, as always. I'd actually like to give a shout out for Eric Bana - my only complaint about the movie was that we didn't get enough Nero Time. "Hi, Christopher!"
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Midshipman

I wonder what "oral skills" Uhura was referring to when she confronted Spock about not being assigned to the Enterprise????
Old 12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Captain

There should be a Redshirt named "Buster".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZHGL...eature=related

(and it's an excuse for me to share this cool clip from one of my favorite shows!)
Old 12-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Midshipman

For me, Kirk. I loved every actors' performance in that film, but I felt like Pine was the only one that completely nailed the essence of the character without doing an impression of the original actor. On the surface, his Kirk was very different than Shatner's kirk, but throughout the film it felt like the exact same character. I was impressed with that.

Again, though, I thought everyone did a great job. Spock was probably second for me. He pulled off angst well.