The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > If JJ's sequel is about "KHAN", will it…
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will JJ's KHAN be as good as the original or better?
I think it will be as good as the original 8 80.00%
I think it will be better than the original 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-03-2012, 01:45 PM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I agree as well. The battles in TWOK were intense in a way that they will never be again because of the 'slowness' factor. No one would ever even think of designing action sequences to be slower than they were in prior movies, or of not making them faster. And that is unfortunate. Because the slow burn in TWOK is what makes it so effective.

My earliest memories of Star "Track" II, long before I even knew there was a TV series behind it all, were of how horrifying the explosions and collateral damage were. Even though I thought the ships looked 'cheap' because they were essentially flying saucers, the shots of people with burns on their faces were frightening. I didn't want to look.

It's not about how fast it is. It's about the pauses and silences, and the reflection, camaraderie and introspection. It's about the nautical 'ping' in the background (requires the ships to be 'submerged' inside a nebula; it wouldn't sound right if we heard it earlier in the film). It's about the very slow (what were they traveling, 35mph?) pass between Ent and Reliant in deep space, even though interstellar distances should make such rendezvous impractical if not impossible. It's about Khan clasping his hands and titling his head to the side, because he forgets he's supposed to be looking at a television screen.

And it will never be that way again. Because Hollywood "can you top this?" production mentality won't allow for it. (Although Meyer can be commended for breaking convention again in TUC and having weapons pierce the hull even though shields were supposedly up. It wasn't as intense as TWOK, but it still seemed new).

My problem is that it either should have been a longer, more drawn out sequence, more waiting, more near-misses; or it should have been faster. For the amount of stuff that happened, there wasn't enough tension, not enough waiting. There is this build up! And then it is over too quickly...

It's a good sequence, in a good film, with good dialogue. They just did it wrong. We can blame Hollywood and limited film times if you like.
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:26 PM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

I tend to disagree they did it wrong, but certainly today's audiences are used to such sequences being a bigger part of a film than they were then and certainly portrayed more kinetically.

The thing is, as Sam alludes to, to speed up the battle would be to lose the point of it. It isn't about the two ships duking it out by the end in some energetic manner. It's about the two aging men playing cat and mouse with each other inside the ships.

I think they did it just fine because the manner of the battle actually fits with some of the themes in the film.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 06-03-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 06-03-2012, 05:35 PM
omegaman's Avatar
omegaman omegaman is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Penrith NSW Australia
Posts: 4,613
Default

When it comes to movies: We should not judge or compare what has gone before by the standards we employ today.
__________________
TREK IS TREK. WHATEVER THE TIMELINE!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
DNA-1842's Avatar
DNA-1842 DNA-1842 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Posts: 3,594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I tend to disagree they did it wrong, but certainly today's audiences are used to such sequences being a bigger part of a film than they were then and certainly portrayed more kinetically.

The thing is, as Sam alludes to, to speed up the battle would be to lose the point of it. It isn't about the two ships duking it out by the end in some energetic manner. It's about the two aging men playing cat and mouse with each other inside the ships.

I think they did it just fine because the manner of the battle actually fits with some of the themes in the film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
When it comes to movies: We should not judge or compare what has gone before by the standards we employ today.

Making the sequence faster would have been a wrong choice as well. (I merely presented this for the Rule of Three: Fast, Slower, Slowest.)

What I'm comparing it to is 2001: A Space Odyssey(I know, I know, unfair). It should have been this long, slow burning scene. Not some middle-paced, bit slow but not too much scene that has tension-laden dialogue but with pauses that are not long enough to back it up.

It should have felt as if they were there for hours. Waiting... Anticipating...

A bit like a Shatner sentence. You never know how long it is going to be, or when the next word will make an appearance.
__________________
Gronda Gronda to all Zarking Hoopy Froods! Bowties are cool.
I Am A Friend Of


(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,990
Default

My opinion remains the same, I think those were some of the best battle sequences in all of Trek. Very well done in my opinion, and not much rivals them. The opening sequence in the new film with the Kelvin does.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,078
Default

While we Khan't tell yet who the main baddie is, there may at least be something familiar on the starboard bow...........

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/star-tr...-movie-awards/
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Captain Tom Coughlin's Avatar
Captain Tom Coughlin Captain Tom Coughlin is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USS Meadowlands
Posts: 10,990
Default

Cool,!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 PM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,480
Default

Q'apla!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Saquist's Avatar
Saquist Saquist is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 11,257
Default

Frankly none of the movies have the best battle scenes. That belongs Largely and undeniably to DS9 specifically Way of the Warrior.

I like the Battle of the Mutara Nebula but it doesn't hold a candle to siege-ing DS9.
The Kelvin's battle with the Narada was ...frankly pathetic to many concessions and too much stupidity in handing a captain over to an ememy willingly. Bad writing can't be part of a great battle.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM
martok2112's Avatar
martok2112 martok2112 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: River Ridge, LA
Posts: 6,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwiseb View Post
I agree as well. The battles in TWOK were intense in a way that they will never be again because of the 'slowness' factor. No one would ever even think of designing action sequences to be slower than they were in prior movies, or of not making them faster. And that is unfortunate. Because the slow burn in TWOK is what makes it so effective.

My earliest memories of Star "Track" II, long before I even knew there was a TV series behind it all, were of how horrifying the explosions and collateral damage were. Even though I thought the ships looked 'cheap' because they were essentially flying saucers, the shots of people with burns on their faces were frightening. I didn't want to look.

It's not about how fast it is. It's about the pauses and silences, and the reflection, camaraderie and introspection. It's about the nautical 'ping' in the background (requires the ships to be 'submerged' inside a nebula; it wouldn't sound right if we heard it earlier in the film). It's about the very slow (what were they traveling, 35mph?) pass between Ent and Reliant in deep space, even though interstellar distances should make such rendezvous impractical if not impossible. It's about Khan clasping his hands and titling his head to the side, because he forgets he's supposed to be looking at a television screen.

And it will never be that way again. Because Hollywood "can you top this?" production mentality won't allow for it. (Although Meyer can be commended for breaking convention again in TUC and having weapons pierce the hull even though shields were supposedly up. It wasn't as intense as TWOK, but it still seemed new).
When I animate my space battles, the capital ships move slow, lumbering, and menacing....and if starfighters are involved, then I'll let them handle the faster paced, darting fighting. Skwoooo Hollywood on that notion!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:43 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.