The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > If JJ's sequel is about "KHAN", will it…
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Will JJ's KHAN be as good as the original or better?
I think it will be as good as the original 8 80.00%
I think it will be better than the original 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy_s View Post
I think he probably (but not certainly) won't do Khan again: it'd be too much 'your father's Star Trek'. Why go up against the most popular ST movie when there's a whole galaxy of other adventures to be had.
Because you should always compete to the best, a whole universe of mediocrity isn't enough.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Federation Councillor

The way I see it - Khan will not work if he's redone unless he has the backstory that connected him to Kirk in Space Seed.

They would have to actually remake Space Seed and ignore TWOK, since they have already used elements of the latter in the first film.

My suspicion is that they will not use him - becuase I also do believe they won't be able to do it better than TWOK did.

I would prefer to get out into the unknown of deep space and find an adventure there instead. That's my two cents!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-04-2009, 01:32 AM
Captain

Problem is: They wanted to use him so bad, now they seem to have no other concept for the sequel.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Federation Councillor

Actually 'they' have never said they will definitely use him. The 'they' who have no better ideas in question is primarily the fans who can't get their heads past Khan either and want him used again.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Admiral

I need a 'won't hold a candle to the original' option. As someone else already pointed out, there are plenty of stories to be told in the Trek Universe. Why retell this one? It will only fall short and seem a cheap comparison. Khan should be left alone. He is what he is and he's been done.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 12-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Actually 'they' have never said they will definitely use him. The 'they' who have no better ideas in question is primarily the fans who can't get their heads past Khan either and want him used again.
The intent to put the Botany Bay after the credits plus Orci repeatedly bringing up his name , is a very strong suggestion they wanted to use him, in my opinion.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
The way I see it - Khan will not work if he's redone unless he has the backstory that connected him to Kirk in Space Seed...
They would have to actually remake Space Seed and ignore TWOK, since they have already used elements of the latter in the first film.
I agree. There are so many beloved villains and characters from TOS that would be nice to see again, however under the new circumstances in this new universe. The problem is how to make it work and not seem like "fan service". We would have to have some sort of backstory--perhaps show a detailed flashback scene like in the first Terminator scene of Kahn during the Eugenic Wars, but that flashback would have to return to when Kirk first meets Kahn in a new, but different version of "Space Seed". And therein lies the other problem. It's the retelling of a story first told on the small screen in the 60's.

IMO, if Kahn is to be a character in this new universe, it would have to be under COMPLETELY different circumstances--his motive for revenge entirely different from that in TWOK. We've had fans (and aren't we all fans?) deride and rail against this film for smaller changes than this. Such a different path for a loved villain like Kahn? Well, I think for some that would be "just a little bit more than the law will allow."
Old 12-04-2009, 02:00 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
The intent to put the Botany Bay after the credits plus Orci repeatedly bringing up his name , is a very strong suggestion they wanted to use him, in my opinion.
They might want to put in some references but it doesn't mean he will appear.

In addition, his name probably crops up so frequently because they keep getting asked by others (such as lazy interviewers) 'might you do Khan?' or 'So what about Khan? etc. Which they've been getting for months now. Of course he's a potential. So is Harry Mudd, so is Balock, so is Trelane.

But they are not the one they keep getting asked to comment on. It's not surprising the name of Khan is perennially bandied about.

And as I've said before if they use him, that's their choice. It's not mine and IMO without massive reconception of the character, they will fail. But that's for them to work out.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Captain

Very well said, Kevin. I love Kahn, too, but to squeeze him in without a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT story and with different reasons for his quest for revenge would simply be "fan boy service" and the likelihood of a failure would be great. It would go back to the practice of making Star Trek films for a minority of the viewing public, rather than opening the doors for everyone and expanding upon a universe filled with fascinating characters and fascinating opportunities.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:09 AM
Commander

I'm against remaking 'Space Seed', because the lack of mystery would come at the expense of the uninformed characters: don't board the ship, don't wake Khan up, don't take him back, don't show him the technical manuals.

Add to that my already-stated reason that this 'rebooted' universe is going to be too 'small' compared to the prime universe (only three movies guaranteed, perhaps four or five at most... with different producers working on the latter two), to waste two whole hours of 35mm film a recycled premise.

Think of all the times TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT were accused of recycling old plots from prior ST series (at our sci-fi club in college, viewers used to chant "did it... did it... did it..." through the 'next episode' teasers). Those were just million dollar episodes. This would be a $150 million movie.

If they absolutely had to do Khan, they should skip the whole 'Space Seed' idea and instead come across some place, or group of people, in which Khan has already settled in. The way I see it, anyone who has had contact with either Starfleet, the Romulans or the Klingons could conceivably have come across the Botany Bay at any point in time since the destruction of the Kelvin. I'm still opposed to it though.

(It's equally likely no one will intercept the sleeper ship this time, and his ship drifts right on through the galaxy forever until it dissolves to space dust. A fitting end to this ongoing discussion; I only regret it will never become canon because there's no way to ever find out that's what happened).