The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > J.J. if you are reading this...[3]
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 05:48 AM
Vice Admiral

i ll welcome shatner of course
Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Vice Admiral

What would he do if he did have the opportunity

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Although the story is a pretty blunt, it made two important statements. First, that Reagan did not arm the Soviet Union to death (a wide-spread myth at that time as well as today), second, that any peace effort is in vain without a little bit of mutual trust. Peace is risky.
I think it doesn't just work as the Cold War analogy it was meant to be, but also as a more general story about war and peace.

Now these are just ideas distilled from the movie, I can understand that you or other folks consider TUC as mediocre, e.g. the whole Gulag / Rura Penthe part is pretty cheesy.
I totally agree. The last shot of the conference at the end of the film with all the aliens clapping and posing on the stage was cheesy as well. Good points.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Although the story is a pretty blunt, it made two important statements. First, that Reagan did not arm the Soviet Union to death (a wide-spread myth at that time as well as today), second, that any peace effort is in vain without a little bit of mutual trust. Peace is risky.
I think it doesn't just work as the Cold War analogy it was meant to be, but also as a more general story about war and peace.

Now these are just ideas distilled from the movie, I can understand that you or other folks consider TUC as mediocre, e.g. the whole Gulag / Rura Penthe part is pretty cheesy.
I kinda have a variable relationship with it. And, yeah the Cold War analogy works fine as that's the idea.

Sometimes I watch it and think 'yeah, pretty good adventure all in, and although a fairly blunt message it's fine' and then sometimes I watch it and it impresses me less because I think some of the technical aspects of the portrayed events don't hold water too well.

For example, I keep thinking - the Enterprise's advanced computer can't even take the visual record and reverse calculate the origin point of the torpedo launch and realise it couldn't have came from the Enterprise? They have to physically count the torpedos and then come to the conclusion another ship underneath did it?

Then that sets off a chain of other questions and then it can all become a house of cards plotwise is all. Somedays I go there watching it and sometimes I don't - I just accept it and go along.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Then that sets off a chain of other questions and then it can all become a house of cards plotwise is all. Somedays I go there watching it and sometimes I don't - I just accept it and go along.
Yup and thats this point. This neither a history nor a tech documentary. Do we really want to take an adventure story and spend time talking about trajectories of torpedoes?
Old 12-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Yup and thats this point. This neither a history nor a tech documentary. Do we really want to take an adventure story and spend time talking about trajectories of torpedoes?
Given what other's have spent time discussing here about the new flick an some of the older ones, it would in theory appear to be as valid a topic as any other.

However, as I also clearly stated, I can switch off to these niggles and just enjoy the film for what it is.

courtesy of Saquist

Last edited by kevin : 12-06-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Vice Admiral

I think Shatner shouldn't be in the sequel like he isn't interested in Star Trek anymore

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 12-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Given what other's have spent time discussing here about the new flick an some of the older ones, it would in theory appear to be as valid a topic as any other.

However, as I also clearly stated, I can switch off to these niggles and just enjoy the film for what it is.
I meant in the movie itself. Here people cant talk about the kind of shoes Spock wears when off duty if they want.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Federation Councillor

Has anyone actually tried to discuss such a matter? If not, you never know who may have been secretly wondering all this time.

courtesy of Saquist