The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > All future Star Trek toy plans from Playmates on hold!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
You really have to factor in the economy and mass production too.
It's not the economy at all it's their crappy stuff.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
I wouldn't be 100% sure of that...

The stuff is rather crappy, but I don't think that's the only reason. It seems toys in general are kinda crappy these days aside from some of the Star Wars stuff.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Vaako View Post
I bought the 12" McCoy action figure and it's really nice.

That 12" McCoy & Spock prime were their only decent Sculpts. The rest were TERRIBLE likeness's(12" & 3 3/4)! Playmates deserves to lose Money for being too cheap to pay a decent Sculptor.

And I'd love to see EMCEtoys(Dr.Mego)get the rights...and make 8" Mego Figures!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Shaw View Post
That 12" McCoy & Spock prime were their only decent Sculpts. The rest were TERRIBLE likeness's(12" & 3 3/4)! Playmates deserves to lose Money for being too cheap to pay a decent Sculptor.

And I'd love to see EMCEtoys(Dr.Mego)get the rights...and make 8" Mego Figures!
The 3 3/4 inch toys were terrible (and the packaging was a terror!).
Old 11-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701
To be fair, the initial first wave release sold extremely well and there was even some shortages in some retail outlets. But then saturation kicked in almost immediately afterward--everyone who was going to buy them had bought them--and stores were left with tons of these toys collecting dust on the shelves and they weren't going to order a second wave of them...

There's also the possibility that they were overpriced. A lot of Target stores were able to quickly sell out of their Star Trek XI stock once they dropped the price by 50%. Go figure.

But stick a fork in it. The Star Trek XI toyline is dead for all intents and purposes, IMO...

Last edited by Commodore : 11-27-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

i only got spock. he didnt come with the chair. i know its not an error becuae there is no place in the box for it and the accessories are in a different arrangement, did they realis to versions of them?
Old 11-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:

The stuff is rather crappy, but I don't think that's the only reason. It seems toys in general are kinda crappy these days aside from some of the Star Wars stuff.
It's certainly true that unless you have a little bit of money to spend on toys, the production quality of a lot of toys these days is not as good as the quality of the toys I had growing up.

I took a good look at the Star Trek XI merchandise in a toy store that carried it and just wasn't impressed enough with the quality to part with the money for it.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I must be in the minority because I actually liked the line. I bought all the 3.75" figures, all the 6" figures except for Pike, all the accessories and the Enterprise. I never bought any of the 12" figures simply because I have no space. But I think there simply was way too much figures all at once and in three different sizes to boot. What Playmates should have done is choose one size of figures. I would have preferred them doing the same size as their previous Trek lines. Then they should have offered the Enterprise crew in their uniforms, Spock Prime and Nero. And perhaps the phaser, The Enterprise and the Kelvin. And perhaps had included exclusive figures with the Kelvin, say The Captain and Kirks dad. And see how those sold before expanding the Trek line. On a side note, I only bought one Terminator figure from the Playmates line and that was the T-800. Otherwise I wasn't interested in anything else. I will also say that I was happy that Playmates got the license. The TRU I go to sometimes is about 15 miles away. I seldom go there and it would be a waste of gas/time to go every week just to see if they had new figures. There really isn't any comic book stores close by, so buying hard to find figures locally isn't really an option. In fact I haven't bought any Star Trek toys since Playmates lost the license years ago simply because the other companies figures/ships weren't available locally. So I was happy that they got the license because it meant that local stores like Wal-Mart and Target offered the line once again.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinoisguy1 View Post
I must be in the minority because I actually liked the line. I bought all the 3.75" figures, all the 6" figures except for Pike, all the accessories and the Enterprise. I never bought any of the 12" figures simply because I have no space. But I think there simply was way too much figures all at once and in three different sizes to boot. What Playmates should have done is choose one size of figures. I would have preferred them doing the same size as their previous Trek lines. Then they should have offered the Enterprise crew in their uniforms, Spock Prime and Nero. And perhaps the phaser, The Enterprise and the Kelvin. And perhaps had included exclusive figures with the Kelvin, say The Captain and Kirks dad. And see how those sold before expanding the Trek line. On a side note, I only bought one Terminator figure from the Playmates line and that was the T-800. Otherwise I wasn't interested in anything else. I will also say that I was happy that Playmates got the license. The TRU I go to sometimes is about 15 miles away. I seldom go there and it would be a waste of gas/time to go every week just to see if they had new figures. There really isn't any comic book stores close by, so buying hard to find figures locally isn't really an option. In fact I haven't bought any Star Trek toys since Playmates lost the license years ago simply because the other companies figures/ships weren't available locally. So I was happy that they got the license because it meant that local stores like Wal-Mart and Target offered the line once again.

Hopefully, the failure of the Star Trek XI line won't mean the end of Trek toys in retail stores. The drawback to having Trek toys for the mostly mail-order collector's market these days is that while you may get higher quality, you'll also get higher prices and it can be a challenge to get an entire collection unless you got deep pockets (S&H alone can kill you).

I liked the Star Trek XI 3.75-inch figures, but I wished that Playmates had been more cautious with the toyline in general and released fewer figures in smaller waves. Playmates may have also made a mistake in releasing figures in multiple sizes, because it meant many folks chose just one size and ignored the others...
Old 11-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I think the multiple sizes idea was pretty odd.

Commodore, I fall under your hypothesis. I bought the Enterprise before the movie came out from Entertainment Earth online. The 3.75" toys (only 4) and transporters playset (that I later sold on ebay) I bought in early June. That was the extent of it and there was no reason to go back and get anything more.