The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > All future Star Trek toy plans from Playmates on hold!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Default All future Star Trek toy plans from Playmates on hold!

http://trekmovie.com/2009/11/25/play...s-put-on-hold/

See I told yall they weren't selling very well and this proves it. Everywhere I go the pegs and shelves are stocked with these things. I only bought the electronic Enterprise and original spock, I wasn't going to buy the other crap.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Ensign

yeah I really wish they had gone with art asylum instead of playmates...playmates really sucks now days. I love the TOS Art Asylum figures.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidFan View Post
yeah I really wish they had gone with art asylum instead of playmates...playmates really sucks now days. I love the TOS Art Asylum figures.
Heck yeah DST is much better, I have all of the Star Trek II figures which wasn't cheap plus both versions of the wrath of khan enterprise. Not to mention both versions of 1701-D and three versions of NCC-1701 Classic.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Lieutenant

I love DST stuff too - the Playmates stuff was a bit nasty. There are rumours that they might join up to produce smaller scale figures. If they scale down DST sculpts and use Playmates greater resources it might reinvigorate figure sales. I bought all the TWOK figures and TWOK Enterprise too. I'd love a set of TMP figures with a TMP bridge set like they did for the new movie but as it was just one movie it seems less likely, even though the TMP bridge is still one of the most popular.

I'm not sure how keen I'd be to buy yet another set of TOS figures but if we get full crews, including Chapel, Rand, and maybe a few others, I might give them a go.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:36 AM
Ensign

I actually would prefer they keep the size they do now. I like the 9 inchish figures.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Rear Admiral

Unhappy Star Trek XI Toys = Epic Fail?

Playmates aimed the Star Trek XI toyline more at kids than serious collectors. Unfortunately, neither kids nor serious collectors wanted them.

I said it in the other thread that Playmates really sort of dropped the ball with this toyline. They released too many figures all at once, IMO, and only so many people will buy Star Trek toys. Playmates got too happy with the initial success of the Star Trek XI toys prior to the movie's release and then flooded retail stores with more than they could sell. These days, retailers aren't going to order a second wave if the first wave is still on the shelves collecting dust...

My bet is that Wave 2 toys will only be available online from Playmates directly or through an exclusive online store.

I don't think the Star Trek XI toys were that terribly bad at all--but then it didn't matter if the figures looked exactly like the actors to me either. If Playmates loses the license in 2011, I'd rather see Hasbro pick it up for Star Trek XII...
Old 11-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauln6 View Post
I love DST stuff too - the Playmates stuff was a bit nasty. There are rumours that they might join up to produce smaller scale figures. If they scale down DST sculpts and use Playmates greater resources it might reinvigorate figure sales. I bought all the TWOK figures and TWOK Enterprise too. I'd love a set of TMP figures with a TMP bridge set like they did for the new movie but as it was just one movie it seems less likely, even though the TMP bridge is still one of the most popular.

I'm not sure how keen I'd be to buy yet another set of TOS figures but if we get full crews, including Chapel, Rand, and maybe a few others, I might give them a go.
They did make a Kirk and Spock TMP set, one has Kirk in his grey/white uniform and the toys r us version has Kirk in his monotone light blue-gray uniform. Both spocks from the sets are in the same monotone light blue-gray uniform. I read playmates was planning on making miniships from the movie and classic tv show minifigs. Looks like that's down the toilet. I'm still getting the hot wheels movie enterprise to end my collecting of that line at least until something else good comes out of it.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:48 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
They did make a Kirk and Spock TMP set, one has Kirk in his grey/white uniform and the toys r us version has Kirk in his monotone light blue-gray uniform. Both spocks from the sets are in the same monotone light blue-gray uniform. I read playmates was planning on making miniships from the movie and classic tv show minifigs. Looks like that's down the toilet. I'm still getting the hot wheels movie enterprise to end my collecting of that line at least until something else good comes out of it.
I bought the TMP set but we never got the TRU set over here in the UK. If they'd only make a Decker and Ilia set I'd buy multiple sets and use spare TWOK figures to make custom crew! I bought a spare Shran in the hope that I could do a head swap but if they bring out no more I'm stuffed.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTKirk1701 View Post
http://trekmovie.com/2009/11/25/play...s-put-on-hold/

See I told yall they weren't selling very well and this proves it. Everywhere I go the pegs and shelves are stocked with these things. I only bought the electronic Enterprise and original spock, I wasn't going to buy the other crap.
I wasn't really surprised. The only one I have is the Enterprise.

Side note, I wasn't surprise at all that the Terminator toys didn't sell. Further proof that that franchise should be put to rest.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Captain

Those 3 they showed that was going to be released looked pretty good, especially the monster that chased Kirk. I bought the Ship, the phaser and both Spocks, I regretted the phaser, it was pretty much junk.