The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Enterprise > Star Trek And Vegetarianism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Fleet Admiral

I got the impression that in the 23rd century food synthesizers are mainly used on starships (remember the wheat shipment in "Trouble For Tribbles") whereas in the 24th century replciators seems to be standard everywhere and real food the exception (Riker makes eggs in "Time Squared", Picard's brother and sister-in-law in "Family").
Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I got the impression that in the 23rd century food synthesizers are mainly used on starships (remember the wheat shipment in "Trouble For Tribbles") whereas in the 24th century replciators seems to be standard everywhere and real food the exception (Riker makes eggs in "Time Squared", Picard's brother and sister-in-law in "Family").
I took it the shipment was meant for the colony use it to become self sustaining economically. Wheat is a good export product for any species that can eat it. But TOS never really explained the "food slots." I have heard explainatiosn that range from and elborate conveyor system from the galley, to recontitued foods made when one puts in the "dics." We do know for a fact they had a Chef aboard the Enterprsie in "Charlie X" who was voiced by GR himself!

I assume "Food Slots" and replicators are nowhere near the same thing. Replicators can, I assume, "create" actual foodstuufs via transporter technology.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know that they had a chef aboard. At once the kitchen in TUC makes much more sense.
It does.

Memory Alpha says..
The chef aboard the USS Enterprise was responsible for preparing and reconstituting food aboard the ship's galley. (TOS: "Charlie X")
Gene Roddenberry provided the voice for the galley chef in "Charlie X".

You Can even hear the line....Turkeys

Last edited by Zardoz : 11-30-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
It does.

Memory Alpha says..
The chef aboard the USS Enterprise was responsible for preparing and reconstituting food aboard the ship's galley. (TOS: "Charlie X")
Gene Roddenberry provided the voice for the galley chef in "Charlie X".

You Can even hear the line....Turkeys
Nice so he did have a cameo.

I'm guessing that in TOS they had a hydroponics bay so the likes of Nurse Chapel could make her homemade Plomeek soup for Spock and that the food slots chucked out basically cubic vitamin pills.

As for vegetarianism, I think it's a case of where you draw the line with replicators, at some point an animal will have been killed to provide the pattern for the replicator to use, so would it be against a veggies morals to eat replicated meat?

Makes you wonder, that in the 24th century with all the technology, could they not just grow meat from stem cell cultures without having to kill an animal at all? Just food for thought (sorry).