The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Arctus Baran's comments and questions about Star Trek (2009)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Vice Admiral

There WERE energy weapons on the platform - Kirk's gets kicked over the edge right at the beginning of the fight.

Yoiks, and awayyyy!
Old 11-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
Yoiks, and awayyyy!
Gotta love those old WB cartoons.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

#8 I'm starting to think that the needs of the special effects outweigh the needs of the story. Do you? Also, they were pretty much cornered into having a dazzling space combat, to have reboot success, I think "12" should be more flexible. Instead of having the plot meet the special effects, the story should reflect and enhance the tale and provide atmosphere for the characters.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctus Baran View Post
#8 I'm starting to think that the needs of the special effects outweigh the needs of the story.
That's the business strategy in a nutshell.

Quote:
Do you? Also, they were pretty much cornered into having a dazzling space combat, to have reboot success, I think "12" should be more flexible. Instead of having the plot meet the special effects, the story should reflect and enhance the tale and provide atmosphere for the characters.
The studio was not cornered, it chose "to make Trek cool" and obviously it worked. Naturally I expect them to continue that strategy, so I doubt that the next movie will have more substance.
And I certainly don't believe people who first claim that they did not hold anything back and put all they got into ST09 and now tell everyone that the next movie will be "deeper". Fool me once ...
Old 11-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

#9 Nero is too human, too 21st Century, too much Kevin Spacey. (when talking to Pike) I thought I'd like Nero. He (Bana) does not sell me in his role, I don't feel the power that he would need to command a revenge crew,
low charisma as Nero. Why follow him? Bana good in other things....
Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
That's the business strategy in a nutshell.
Yep!

Quote:
The studio was not cornered, it chose "to make Trek cool" and obviously it worked. Naturally I expect them to continue that strategy, so I doubt that the next movie will have more substance.
And I certainly don't believe people who first claim that they did not hold anything back and put all they got into ST09 and now tell everyone that the next movie will be "deeper". Fool me once ...
Ahh. Hehehe. True.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctus Baran View Post
#5 Are new Starfleet slacks more like black jeans?
They're actually dark grayish-brown leather motorcycle pants and each pair costs a fortune apparently!

As far as the delta insignia, it could also be that Starfleet simply adopted it as its symbol from the start and ships never had individual insignias in this new timeline.
Quote:
#7 Zachary ruled, but did Spock show too much emotion through his eyes?
Was Spock too roguish and glib for his character when he said,
"Not this time." ?
It's actually in keeping with Spock as he was in both "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" where was known to smile sometimes and later in the series, he did occasionally struggle with his emotions. He became more of a hardcore Vulcan in TMP, but afterwards was known to make the occasional pun now and then...
Old 11-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

#10 Finally! CGI ships look better than models.

#11 Kelvin ship and crew are perfect. No flaws, shuttles are excellent. Cool uniforms, great bridge. Could cut down on white light flashes?

#12 Romulan pole arms, perhaps normally used on animals while mining on various planets/asteroids?

-side note, feeling like Kirk in VI, outgrown usefulness to new Trek.
This one is the true next generation, as the young humans are totally different in behavior, mannerisms of the earlier crews.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
They're actually dark grayish-brown leather motorcycle pants and each pair costs a fortune apparently!
Interesting!

Quote:
As far as the delta insignia, it could also be that Starfleet simply adopted it as its symbol from the start and ships never had individual insignias in this new timeline.
Yeah. Now I wonder if Sybok is in this timeline. I did not get to bonus features yet.

Quote:
It's actually in keeping with Spock as he was in both "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" where was known to smile sometimes and later in the series, he did occasionally struggle with his emotions. He became more of a hardcore Vulcan in TMP, but afterwards was known to make the occasional pun now and then...
Ya. Very true. Good thing they did not make him red, he'd be Hellboy Spock. The early high eyebrows were weird enough. Good that new timeline
Spock did not develope military style speech. (shouting, repeating commands.)
Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

#13 The camera adds more movements to Uhura's actions and others in some areas, J.J. using tricks to make actions look even more intense? Maybe I'm watching Uhura too much! It is fun though, even though I often prefer camera angles that make the movie look like a stage play, or two the other extreme - looking like a real event, and battles looking like war documentaries.