The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Sequel like BTTF2?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-21-2009, 07:29 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Like four out of five entire TV series are about a ship going from planet to planet? I would call that recycling in the extreme.

And everyone has bought it so far.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-21-2009, 07:41 AM
horatio's Avatar
horatio horatio is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,257
Default

Well there are slight variations, sometimes they beam on the planet, sometimes they fly down with the shuttle and sometimes they even land with the ship.
Seriously, it is no coincidence that Trek was perceived as stale by many people when they did a third and a fourth starship series. Trek does not need a ship, I'd be all for another DS9 or something alike: a freighter ship crew in the 23rd century, a colony at the border of Federation space, tell what happens on Earth or in the Sol system, so many possibilities.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Well there are slight variations, sometimes they beam on the planet, sometimes they fly down with the shuttle and sometimes they even land with the ship.
Of course, I forgot about Troi's driving.

Quote:
Seriously, it is no coincidence that Trek was perceived as stale by many people when they did a third and a fourth starship series. Trek does not need a ship, I'd be all for another DS9 or something alike: a freighter ship crew in the 23rd century, a colony at the border of Federation space, tell what happens on Earth or in the Sol system, so many possibilities.
And yet I think we'll all be left reeling if a future series doesn't feature a starship and a crew.

There are so many possibilities but the powers that be and the fans trap it inside this little box of 'it can only be like this' etc that was the very thing to lead to the staleness.

Abrams and his crew may well use a lot of their own ideas in their little universe, but they haven't been done in Star Trek. So let's let them try their thing and see if it's compatible or not.

At the end of the day if it doesn't work, the drawing board will be brought back out and someone else will take a crack.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-21-2009, 08:06 AM
kevin's Avatar
kevin kevin is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Kilbride, Glasgow, UK
Posts: 21,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I agree, just had to rant and b*tch a bit.
As I like mystery, non-linear story-telling and such stuff, I will probably see STXII several times.
We all do, no harm in it.

Abrams has a few tricks and skills up his sleeve - if he can match it to the more memorable Star Trek episodes styles then he can be onto a winner, so we'll just need to see what transpires next.
__________________
'If the Apocalypse starts, beep me!' - Buffy Summers
'The sky's the limit.....' Jean-Luc Picard, 'All Good Things'


courtesy of Saquist
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-21-2009, 09:13 AM
jla1987's Avatar
jla1987 jla1987 is offline
Fleet Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
As long as it's not more time travel. I'd prefer if they leave that on the shelf for awhile.
Yep. I think time travel in Trek movies (and in general) should be put on the shelf too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Like four out of five entire TV series are about a ship going from planet to planet? I would call that recycling in the extreme.

And everyone has bought it so far.
Yep. And even DS9 eventually brought a starship into its mix at the start of its third season.

To me, a starship is one of the best vehicles for dramatic storytelling in sci-fi, but I think it's the kinds of stories being told that really matters. If you look at all the various procedural cop shows, they're all following the same weekly formula that earlier cop shows did--discovered murder/crime, investigation, resolution--with the primary difference being that mainstream audiences don't get tired of that stuff, only with particularly takes on the subject...
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Yep. And even DS9 eventually brought a starship into its mix at the start of its third season.

To me, a starship is one of the best vehicles for dramatic storytelling in sci-fi, but I think it's the kinds of stories being told that really matters. If you look at all the various procedural cop shows, they're all following the same weekly formula that earlier cop shows did--discovered murder/crime, investigation, resolution--with the primary difference being that mainstream audiences don't get tired of that stuff, only with particularly takes on the subject...
DS9 found out the hard way that staionary Star Trek shows don't work well.
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-23-2009, 04:59 AM
Commodore's Avatar
Commodore Commodore is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Starbase 24
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
DS9 found out the hard way that staionary Star Trek shows don't work well.
Well, with DS9 the idea was that instead of us going to the aliens, the aliens came to us. And that was the basic formula used for the first two seasons. Even then, DS9 was equipped with runabouts (which were essentially mini-starships in their own right) for missions that took place away from the station.

I think it was the development of the Dominion storyline that forced the producers to realize they needed a genuine starship because things were going to get very lively in that region of space fairly soon and the runabouts weren't going to cut it...
__________________
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.
--En Vogue
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Zardoz's Avatar
Zardoz Zardoz is offline
Federation Councillor
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere In The Future
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
Well, with DS9 the idea was that instead of us going to the aliens, the aliens came to us. And that was the basic formula used for the first two seasons. Even then, DS9 was equipped with runabouts (which were essentially mini-starships in their own right) for missions that took place away from the station.

I think it was the development of the Dominion storyline that forced the producers to realize they needed a genuine starship because things were going to get very lively in that region of space fairly soon and the runabouts weren't going to cut it...
I agree. Like "Gunsmoke" in space.

Runabouts were great as targets for bad guys, or if you needed to crash!
__________________
"High Priestesses Of Zardoz" By Eliza's Starbase Of Avatars Copyright 2009."
"Zardoz Speaks To You, His Choosen Trek Fans."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:10 PM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.