The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What is Kirk's Job?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I think his knowledge of engineering components of the ship, in both TOS and Trek '09 is due to the fact that he is (a) genius level, and (b) on command track, and would be expected to know every aspect of the ship.

Don't forget that in the same episode that you mentioned with respect to Lt. Finney ("Court Martial"), once Spock discovered that the computer had been tampered with, he mentioned that Kirk was one of only three people on the ship with the technical knowledge to have tampered with the computer in such a matter.

I think it gets overlooked sometimes that, in addition to all of his other attributes, Jim Kirk is probably one of the most intelligent human beings around.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

The only genious-level offender in the midwest...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobertsumc View Post
I think his knowledge of engineering components of the ship, in both TOS and Trek '09 is due to the fact that he is (a) genius level, and (b) on command track, and would be expected to know every aspect of the ship.

Don't forget that in the same episode that you mentioned with respect to Lt. Finney ("Court Martial"), once Spock discovered that the computer had been tampered with, he mentioned that Kirk was one of only three people on the ship with the technical knowledge to have tampered with the computer in such a matter.

I think it gets overlooked sometimes that, in addition to all of his other attributes, Jim Kirk is probably one of the most intelligent human beings around.
A Capatin doesn't need to know evey detail about how a ship works, that's why they have a staff. But, they need to have a general overview of all ship operations.

Not saying he's not smart. He's smart enough to surround himself with people who can give him information, or help.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:05 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
A Capatin doesn't need to know evey detail about how a ship works, that's why they have a staff. But, they need to have a general overview of all ship operations.

Not saying he's not smart. He's smart enough to surround himself with people who can give him information, or help.
Indeed, Picard demonstrated similar levels of knowledge about the D and Janeway about the Voyager.

It's likely a requirement for all Captains to have a solid all-round knowledge of how a starship works.

Plus, they will have some of them come at command from different backgrounds. Janeway started as a scientist before switching tracks at some point.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-21-2009, 03:09 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobertsumc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
Plus, they will have some of them come at command from different backgrounds. Janeway started as a scientist before switching tracks at some point.
Sisko probably started off as an engineer from what we can tell of his background.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Indeed, Picard demonstrated similar levels of knowledge about the D and Janeway about the Voyager.

It's likely a requirement for all Captains to have a solid all-round knowledge of how a starship works.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:

I would infer from several situations that Kirk has more than a general overview of the ship's operations. In addition to the example I mentioned from "Court Martial," Kirk also directly participates the technical aspects of ship repair in several instances ("The Doomsday Machine" comes to mind -- in that episode he also showed an advanced understanding of the impulse drive).
Old 11-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Commander

Quote:
If he was on a Command track, I would imagine he would be rotated through most of the major departments.
That is pretty standard. Usually newly commissioned ensigns start out holding the position of a division officer. This just means he's in charge of a group of people generally enlisted. This can be things like navigation, supply, etc. The position is usually held up through the rank of LTJG.

After that LT and LTCDR usually are department heads, they usually run things like supply, engineering, operations, or weapons.

Often times what kind of division or department you're stuck in is dependent on what department or division has an opening.

So by the time you make XO or CO, you've worked at various levels of administration on the ship and have a pretty good feel for how the hips as a whole works. And the thing is there's always a certain degree of on the job training, which is partly why you rely a lot on the people you're in charge of.

"Don't confuse facts with reality."
-Robert D. Ballard
Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Vice Admiral

In answer to the topic....

To seek out and meet new women in new civilizations, and bang them. At least that is what he thinks his job is.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Vice Admiral

Before I check out the dossier section, may I point out that he was clever enough to stick a subroutine into the KMaru program, so maybe he was a computer wonk.