The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > St'09 Was A Movie Adaptation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Commander

Default St'09 Was A Movie Adaptation

I was just thinking how silly we all are here wracking our brains trying to make sense of the relationship of Alternate Universe with Prime Universe, debating which is better, etc. Why cann't we just accept ST'09 as a movie adaptation of a 60's TV series. Dozens of these are done every year. Since the success of "The Untouchables," its become a virtual cottage industry. Every cartoon, video game, popular novel, and tv series has been turned into a block-buster film. Television series have been a big player in all of this, everything from "The Addams Family," to "Lost in Space." Of course, movie adaptation is a rather vague characterization, it can mean several things. It can be a continuation of an existing story, like it was in "The X-Files" movie, or a moderized re-do, like "Lost in Space." Sometimes these are done with the actors from the series and sometimes not. I have a much easier time understanding ST'09 as just a different kind of movie adaptation of a tv show, than as something more, like a new Universe of Trek.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Commander

Because ST09 is not only the movie Adaption of any long forgotten 60s TV show, but the movie Adaption of a 60s serie that followed 4 sequel TV shows and 10 movies and that has one of the biggest, still active, most demanding (and most intelligent ) Fandoms on Earth.

BTW: You have the same discussions in other fandoms as well.
Star Wars Old Trilogy vs. New Trilogy and the topic "Lucas raped my childhood". In Star Wars forums I read words that even didn't appear here.
Even in topics for the new Battlestar Galactica, although the old barely still has any active fandom, I read struggles between new fans and fans of the old TV show.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 11-19-2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
Because ST09 is not only the movie Adaption of any long forgotten 60s TV show, but the movie Adaption of a 60s serie that followed 4 sequel TV shows
Just to pull a Beckmesser on you, it's 5

Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 AM
Admiral

TAS is not canon! I blast it to bits with my cannon!

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Commander

I didn't count the non-canon stuff, otherwise I also have to talk about books, games, comics, etc.

But of course the Canon is only the tip of the iceberg.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Captain

Canon or not, I do not care. It's licensed Star Trek, and the least you can stay is, that it's still better than Voyager and Enterprise.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 AM
Vice Admiral

You know, at first I was looking at this total redesign of the Star Trek universe as a complete "what if?" story. My idea was what if at the end of the movie, you see old Spock sitting in a 24th century movie theatre with his son/grandson/relative of some sort and watching the end credits of STXI. Old Spock's son (nephew, etc) looks at him and says: "That's not how you told the story." To which Old Spock replies: "True. But if they told how it really happened, no one would believe it."

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 11-20-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
You know, at first I was looking at this total redesign of the Star Trek universe as a complete "what if?" story. My idea was what if at the end of the movie, you see old Spock sitting in a 24th century movie theatre with his son/grandson/relative of some sort and watching the end credits of STXI. Old Spock's son (nephew, etc) looks at him and says: "That's not how you told the story." To which Old Spock replies: "True. But if they told how it really happened, no one would believe it."
You cracked me up, Zim.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:55 AM
Vice Admiral

come on is it that bad

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 11-20-2009, 06:24 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
You cracked me up, Zim.
Glad you liked. That last line was actually a reference to "Merlin". The miniseries starring Sam Neil and Isabella Rossellini. Check it out sometime. It is a very interesting take on the Arthurian legend told from Merlin's point of view.