The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > The much-dreaded ST09 DVD "it must be something wrong with your player" thread. :p
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Commander

Default The much-dreaded ST09 DVD "it must be something wrong with your player" thread. :p

I just figured no forum would be complete without a thread like this. For the 'unlucky' among us who had to return/replace their brand new ST09 DVDs, to tell/relate about the hoops you had to jump through (or what-not). Or even just to say the dreaded words above that too many otherwise-helpful people seem to delight in saying.

Anyone? Anyone? (Bueller? Bueller?)

I'll start.

I got the 'tin bookcase' edition from FYE, because I love the stylish minimalism of the artwork. 2nd disc stopped playing at the 'film composer' featurette. Didn't even bother checking the movie itself after that. Haven't had a chance to check my replacement disc yet (I'm at work).

What annoyed me was the store clerk casually tossed aside the replacement I'd picked out, pulled another copy off the shelf behind her... then proceeded to open it and inspect the discs before making the exchange. Popped the discs out with way too much force (I have to assume, since it typically takes me forever to pull them out -the very first time- with this type of lock), and then handled them in that way-too-casual "I do these everyday" manner that's likely to get them soiled.

Anyway, that's a first for me. Everything I've ever returned in the past, I've always walked away with a brand new (unopened) replacement. Tried to act gracious, but I think I betrayed the fact that I was rather peeved.

Oh, and the shiny case has some minor scratches on it (which is why I had picked out my own replacement before approaching the counter). Wouldn't be worth whining about if the disc itself works this time... unfortunately.

No one ever said you get everything you pay for in a commercial society.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Federation Councillor

I would have said, "I want that one, and please do not scrath it up."

You have to be firm with some FYE employees.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:50 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yeah I agree with Zardoz, you should have stood your ground and said I want this copy I have selected.

The store clerks attitude I guess is one which is common place especially at xmas where they are rushed off their feet! I would have never accepted the disks if they had been removed with such force.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:10 AM
Vice Admiral

You kow, I lost audio for about 5 seonds in 2 different places... I had blamed the PS3, but perhaps.....??? I'll check those spots again tonight.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 AM
Admiral

Is that just an excuse to watch the movie again, Jerhanner?

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R23 View Post
Yeah I agree with Zardoz, you should have stood your ground and said I want this copy I have selected.

The store clerks attitude I guess is one which is common place especially at xmas where they are rushed off their feet! I would have never accepted the disks if they had been removed with such force.
Personally, I look at it as, I'm paying for the item, I deserve the item in immaculate sealed condition when I recive it.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Is that just an excuse to watch the movie again, Jerhanner?
It's what I'll tell hubby!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I once had to return a TV Series set to the store because there wars two of the same disc in the set. Well I went to get a another copy and they opened that up only to find that the same thing. We had to go through 5 or so copies to get one that had the correct discs. So actually I'm happy that they opened up the case to check. Otherwise if I just got another copy and went home I would have had to likely go 5 or more time to the store to get a correct set.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
It's what I'll tell hubby!
Me, too.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Commander

Yeah... unfortunately I didn't notice the scratches on the case until I pealed off rear wrapper containing movie credits and critics' ravings. And they are minor.

The whole business with the exchange seemed slightly odd... but it just didn't 'feel' like something worth taking issue with at the time. I suspect she was trying to be helpful, but also thought maybe I was being anal and the disc wasn't actually defective. (Saying "no, I wanted that one" after she had already opened the replacement might've just confirmed it)