The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > Should they have replaced Kes with Seven?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 03:23 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I'm not buying into this "they needed someone to stand-up to Janeway" argument, or they needed someone who could bring out the motherly qualities of Janeway. Earlier in the series, it was B'elana who "stood up to Janeway, " and whom Janeway saw as a younger version of herself. Go watch the episode "Parallax," from Season one. This leaves me to conclude that Seven only added sex appeal, and served to allow more Borg stories to be created, in all other respects she weakened the show by taking away potential stories from other members of the crew.
I think 'sexing up' was the main reason - but I wonder if it also was part of their plan to explore the Borg heavily.

That generally failed IMO, but if they wanted to do something like that having a Borg character interacting would help accomplish that.

After they put her in a silver catsuit that showed where all her nanoprobes were hidden, of course.

But you gotta get the 14 year old boys interested somehow.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-01-2009, 03:55 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I wonder if it also was part of their plan to explore the Borg heavily.

That generally failed IMO, but if they wanted to do something like that having a Borg character interacting would help accomplish that.

After they put her in a silver catsuit that showed where all her nanoprobes were hidden, of course.
Heh - yeah, I think that's pretty much on the money. With B'Elanna's stories becoming increasingly about her relationship with Tom, and Kes off the ship, it made sense for the writers to put together a character that would receive the same kind of attention from Janeway that they had enjoyed, and what better than a younger, feisty type?

Quite honestly, although I can see the 'T&A' argument concerning Seven, I don't think it was anywhere near as cynical as some people would like to believe it was... at least until the casting was done. Ryan was fantastic as Seven and I can quite believe she was the best person for the job. However, I also don't doubt that once the showrunners saw pictures of Ryan they probably thought, "Whoa! Let's douse her in talcum powder and squeeze her into the tightest outfits we can find!" At the end of the day, if you've got an actress as drop dead gorgeous as Ryan, you don't dress her in sacks, do you?

My only problem with Seven was that the character had so much potential for storytelling that several of the cast who had been on board longer ended up getting even less screen time than they might have otherwise received: Chakotay in particular, but also to varying degrees Paris and Kim. Voyager suddenly found itself dealing with the same situation that TNG had fallen into: two or three characters were getting virtually all the screen time, at the cost of character development for the others.

This could be why DS9 remains my favourite of the TV shows: the show never suffered from that problem. Even though it had the largest extended ensemble cast, all the characters were served well by the writers.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Commander

I wasn't really thinking of Chakotay, Paris, or Kim. I thought the Seven character took potential stories away from B'elana, Tuvok, and the Doctor. She was a different enough character from Kes, that they didn't need to get rid of her, but I guess you cann't have two young female blondes on a show as racially diverse as VOYAGER.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Having one actress leave due to personal matters, and another come onto the show to fill the void isn't really a replacement issue. At least I don't think it is. It's just life.

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Kes should never have been featured on VOY. She was a terrible character.

So was Seven. She was an uber-character who could do everything so well, it made an already over-powered Voyager and crew even less likely to face danger.

The quotes from Braga indicate the level of stupidity he was operating on when he devised her such as....

"What would that mean, to have a Borg character?' It would be really cool"

I called Rick and it was late, but I was so excited. So, I called Rick Berman, and he really liked the idea but he had the stroke of genius, 'Make it a Borg babe.' And we just talked about it, for a couple hours, and we just thought, 'This is a really cool idea.

So basically Braga and Berman's rational for creating Super Borg Barbie was little more than "whoa, she's hot" and "whoa, that's cool bro"
Old 01-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
The word is rationale
A rare typo.

Quote:
and Kes was a fine, feminine character. Not worse than other feminine characters like Uhura, Crusher or Troi but neither as complex and well-written as e.g. Dax.
Being female and feminine does not make her a good character.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Lieutenant

Seven was great. They should have done more with Kes and her psychic powers. Given her short life span they should have planned for her to leave at some point during the show but it was sloppily handled and premature.

My own view is that Kes should have featured as a recurring character up until Year of Hell since her premature departure creates a paradox. The Gift could have been worked out during or just after YoH. During would have been fine for me, notwithstanding that she would have been sacrificing the future she saw while affected by the chroniton radiation. She could have said that she'd already experienced a full life and was happy to sacrifice herself and BOOM.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Federation Councillor

I don't even think that Jennifer Lien wanted to leave. I think the producers decided to get rid of her on their own.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Indeed and there is the rub. They had a decent character but instead of using her more optimally they exchanged her. It was nice that Kes' student, the Doctor, now became Seven's teacher but in my opinion the former relationship was more interesting than the latter.