The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Which non-sci-fi/ fantasy TV programmes do you like watching?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

My all-time favorite show is M*A*S*H. Second fave is (alas, fantasy) Buffy the Vampire Slayer. My third favorite is probably 24.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
My all-time favorite show is M*A*S*H.
I was only about five yrs old but I can remember watching the premier of the first episode. The first three seasons with Trapper are the best(to me) and I can go another couple seasons but after Frank leaves it's strictly The Alan Alda Show from then on and I lose all interest.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed Charmed for what it was, even with the 'demon of the week' syndrome. Its not really fantasy per se... unless you believe in witches. A friend of mine was a practicing Wiccan and I suppose they are close enough.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:43 AM
Vice Admiral

besides soccer i also like adult programs
Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Admiral

I used to like the show about the Canadian Mountie who had become a cop in San Francisco... Due South I think it was called. I'm enjoying Mercy which is not yet on UK TV but there are always ways round that problem .

The Simpson's are great for using at work. We have an entire unit on morality based around the Simpson's. I also watch Army Wives.

Odradek, I was probably just thinking about British and American TV, but if you want to add in non-English speaking TV, than that's fine. Though I won't know anything about it, there are others who would

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-15-2009, 02:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Due South was great as well, especially the first season. I should add in some I forgot from earlier as well like Sex and the City, 30 Rock.

There's probably quite a few more shows out there I would like but haven't had a chance to catch them properly yet.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-15-2009, 02:16 AM
Admiral

Oh I like 3rd Rock from the Sun but that's kind of sci-fi since they are aliens. I like The IT Crowd and The Big Bang Theory too

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeway72 View Post
Odradek, I was probably just thinking about British and American TV, but if you want to add in non-English speaking TV, than that's fine. Though I won't know anything about it, there are others who would
yeah, but those won't care. germans seldom care what other germans like

Old 11-15-2009, 05:18 AM
Federation Councillor

Hmm such a hard choice...
Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howlin' Wolf View Post
I was only about five yrs old but I can remember watching the premier of the first episode. The first three seasons with Trapper are the best(to me) and I can go another couple seasons but after Frank leaves it's strictly The Alan Alda Show from then on and I lose all interest.
Indeed, lots of folks seemed to feel that way once the remaining crew got on board... (Col. Potter, BJ, Winchester).

I used to like watching the show as a kid, but I got a major appreciation for it when I was in a touring band. One of my favorite pasttimes was to watch M*A*S*H* on FX during the day (when they'd run marathons). Generally, I preferred to sleep in during the day before getting up at night to do a show, but when I saw M*A*S*H* was playing on FX for about four hours a day, I got up and caught every episode I could. Somehow, it made my day complete.

I never got to see all the episodes of M*A*S*H* until I got the Martinis and Medicine box set a couple years ago(the M*A*S*H* movie, all 11 seasons, and the finale "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen".) While I could see Alda's influence in the latter eps, I still found them greatly entertaining. M*A*S*H did start out as a comedy-drama, but then became more dramatically focused as the years went on, with still plenty of good laughs. (It was a comedrama, then it became a dramedy. )

The theme song always sets the mood for me with the show....and I'll have to say, I shed quite a few tears, as well as had some good belly laughs in some of the latter episodes.

My favorite characters were Maj. Hot Lips Hoolihan (she started out as a by-the-book uptight hardass, but as she got to know the 4077th better, she lightened up, and became a real angel of mercy, and a good friend.), and Maj. Winchester (a blueblood pompous *** when you first meet him, but he had a STRONG sense of right and wrong, and a considerable sense of humility. When he was wrong, he was man enough to admit it, and do whatever it took to make it right.)

On a side note, one of the most surreal moments for me was watching the movie "The Cat from Outer Space" (Walt Disney, 1978). It was cool seeing McClean Stevenson and Harry Morgan in the same movie together, but to see BOTH of the commanding officers of the 4077th sharing a scene in that movie.....priceless. And actually, that movie had quite a few folks who had guest roles on M*A*S*H* as well.