The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Which Prequel do You Prefer?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Quote:
I'm being half sarcastic,
So, are you being sarc-? or -astic?
Nah, I'm middle of the road: arcastic
Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Vice Admiral

what does gushing mean

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 11-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Admiral

gush
–verb (used without object)
1. to flow out or issue suddenly, copiously, or forcibly, as a fluid from confinement: Water gushed from the broken pipe.
2. to express oneself extravagantly or emotionally; talk effusively: She gushed with pride over her new grandchild.
3. to have a sudden, copious flow, as of blood or tears.

http://dictionary.reference.com/

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsrcks View Post
Why does it matter prime vs alternate like what's the big deal
The irony here is that the Alterverse will become the Prime universe, in the sense that it will be the main platform from which stories ensue in the upcoming sequels and adaptations for television. The difference is this J.J.'s AlterTRek will not expand our knowledge of what cme before TOS the way ENTERPRISE did, it will not explain "how things came to be the way they are" in TOS, TNG, etc. J.J. and co. get to make up their own rules as they go along, instead of honoring the Trek legacy and fans by following Trek's rules and fictional history, so it is fun for them, but not for fans like me.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Captain

STAR TREK ENTERPRISE!!!! would be my choice! I loved the movie, but if I had to choose between the two, Enterprise is my favorite by far.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Vice Admiral

you're like a Trek teacher always has to be restrictions and what can and can't be done,

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 11-15-2009, 09:16 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Both Star Trek Movie and the pilot for ENTERPRISE were different approaches to the same problem. Both were attempts to return Star Trek to its root origins. One attempts to do this directly by telling an origin story for the NCC-1701Enterprise crew with new actors interpreting the roles in an Alternate Universe. The other goes back earlier to tell the story of the founding of the Federation by focussing on the crew the first Starship named "Enterprise" and its crew. Both Star Trek Movie and the pilot for ENTERPRISE draw their inspiration from TOS of Star Trek, as opposed to the TNG universe. Both also appear to be willing to violate Star Trek canon to some degree, one does so by ignoring it and placing all events in an alternate reality, the other by creating a temporal "Cold War" where future factions of time travelers are battling it out in the past, changing pre-established Trek history. Which approach do you prefer and why? Let me just say I know there are some who even will disagree with the basic premise of this post, noted.
I know this was probably already discussed in another thread, but what exactly did ENT change in Trek pre-established history?

Was first contact with the Klingons ever specifically dated in TOS or some other series or movie?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
The irony here is that the Alterverse will become the Prime universe, in the sense that it will be the main platform from which stories ensue in the upcoming sequels and adaptations for television. The difference is this J.J.'s AlterTRek will not expand our knowledge of what cme before TOS the way ENTERPRISE did, it will not explain "how things came to be the way they are" in TOS, TNG, etc. J.J. and co. get to make up their own rules as they go along, instead of honoring the Trek legacy and fans by following Trek's rules and fictional history, so it is fun for them, but not for fans like me.
One could say he took a lesson from James Kirk and cheated on the test to get the result he wanted.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Was first contact with the Klingons ever specifically dated in TOS or some other series or movie?
In TNG, Picard said that "centuries ago" first contact with the Klingons was "disastrous" and lead to "decades of war" with the Federation. ENT does not exactly violate this, as Earth and Qo'noS aren't really friends in the 22nd-Century (and it seems likely their relationship deteriorated further after the Federation was formed), so nothing's truly broken here, IMO...
Old 11-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I know this was probably already discussed in another thread, but what exactly did ENT change in Trek pre-established history?

I thought first contact with the Klingons was speeded up due to the Temporal Cold War (TCW), others have mentioned first contact with the Ferengi, or the Borg, but this was already changed by First Contact.