The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Movie Idea for "Star Trek" (Thanks, CNN!)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

We had that with Sybok...
TheTrekkie, I can't remember the book, it's been too long. But it had to do with the Romulan commander who fell in love with Spock, if I remember correctly.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/11/l...eam/index.html

I read this article and then started thinking, "What if this thing did what it was supposed to do, but then it started a cascade of events that ultimately would lead to the destruction of the planet? The panic, chaos, fear, uncertainty...Oh, just get everyone aboard a starship! Oh, wait...We don't have those."
I think 2012 is about to accomplish that this weekend, it might be seen to be 'borrowing'.

Quote:
So, what would happen if a super-tech experiment went wrong on a distant Federation outpost, but the pending disaster could effect millions of lives in habiting a nearby system? The movie could show Starfleet's best at work: Scientists & explorers, the cautious and the thrill-seekers working together.

Whaddya think? What ideas do you have? Or, what do you think about this article and the LHC?
I think that if they added an element such as they did in 'The Masterpiece Society' where there's a little rub at the end about what proved the greater danger then maybe.

The article itself is a good read - not that I understand the technicals of it all. Although at least they point out that the chances of the LHC destroying the Earth were always rather minimal!!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Ensign

If you're going to have a 'Doomsday Weapon' as the main threat in the next movie, why not have something along the lines of a Genesis/Red Matter combo being seiezed and used by the Klingons (Therefore getting them back into Trek as the main villains again) to ressurect a Doomsday Machine !!

Possible ??
Old 11-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC_1701A View Post
Sounds similar to what happened in TUC with Praxis. Guess they must have found a way to solve it offscreen though since Klingons were still living on Qo'nos in TNG.
I think the Federation helped the Klingons to rescue Qo'nos' atmosphere. But the Klingons had to sign the Khitomer treaty.

However some feared the Federation could misuse their gained dominance, didn't want to accept the lossed strength and being dependent on someone else resp. and therefore wanted the Klingons to react with war and expansionism instead.

An other possibility is that the Klingons evacuated and named an other planet Qo'nos.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 11-13-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
We had that with Sybok...
TheTrekkie, I can't remember the book, it's been too long. But it had to do with the Romulan commander who fell in love with Spock, if I remember correctly.
True. But in that case Sybok met something. In this case I would think they met nothing at all nor found any extinct species. Covered it up. And decided to sue anyone who tries to reveal the truth.

Kirk and the gang are on a mission to expose the truth. To counter them the Scientologist lawyers demand the ship. I kinda have the image of the SNL skit of Ent being chased and taken over by NBC.

Hey that might work also. Enterprise vs CBS.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus of Megadeus View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/11/l...eam/index.html

I read this article and then started thinking, "What if this thing did what it was supposed to do, but then it started a cascade of events that ultimately would lead to the destruction of the planet? The panic, chaos, fear, uncertainty...Oh, just get everyone aboard a starship! Oh, wait...We don't have those."

So, what would happen if a super-tech experiment went wrong on a distant Federation outpost, but the pending disaster could effect millions of lives in habiting a nearby system? The movie could show Starfleet's best at work: Scientists & explorers, the cautious and the thrill-seekers working together.

Whaddya think? What ideas do you have? Or, what do you think about this article and the LHC?
Hmmm, interesting....building on that....the accidental development of the "Doomsday" machine?
Old 11-14-2009, 03:12 AM
Captain

Wow! Everyone has such interesting (and some very funny) thoughts on this topic! Great comments by all! You know, I never thought about the Omega molecule. Didn't they cover that on Voyager, too?

Southern Spockette, that's a great concept. These scientist in some distant galaxy or time, in order to combat the Borg, create what was to be a simple planetary defense system, but then--OOPS! The PDS goes "Galactus" and starts eating planets!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:14 AM
Federation Councillor

I hope they don't do Omega, personally. It was just another 'does whatever we want it to' thing, like the maligned Red Matter.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 11-14-2009, 03:54 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I hope they don't do Omega, personally. It was just another 'does whatever we want it to' thing, like the maligned Red Matter.