The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why Star Trek XI is best!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2009, 03:00 AM
Commander

In Germany many critics and film maker often assume "deepness" and entertainment don't belong to each other. And therefore you either have dumb entertainment or dead serious, long-suffering, "deep" German productions.

But many American productions like e.g. Star Trek proved them wrong, that you can entertain and though have some "deepness" in your movies/series. It would be very sad if they turned away from these roots.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:09 AM
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, the long-run effects of German idealism.
Not that I mind indie or art movies, but there are quite some boring ones.

That conflict is indeed just in the heads of some people, before Hamlet picks up Yorick' skull and contemplates mortality there are first some grotesquely funny moments.
The best pieces of art and entertainment are about many things at once.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:13 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new Star Trek Universe!! But I see no reason to abandon the Original. I have no problem loving both. It's not like I have to choose between one or the other.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Yeah, the long-run effects of German idealism.
Not that I mind indie or art movies, but there are quite some boring ones.
And you have dozends of examples for the oposite in your own past.

Even a philosopher like Nietzsche packed his ideas with "Thus spoke Zarathusa" in an - compared to pure philosphical works - entertaining, almost poetic story.
Not to mention Schiller or Goethe everyone learns at school, who not only created nice plays for the theatres, but also commented on profound matters, wanted to educate the audience ...

Unfortunatelly that conflict in some heads is in my opinion one of the reasons Science Fiction has such a hard standing and therefore you have almost no modern Scifi productions in Germany, except of parodies and a few book authors.

Quote:
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new Star Trek Universe!! But I see no reason to abandon the Original. I have no problem loving both. It's not like I have to choose between one or the other.
And nobody forces you to chose.
I also like Star Trek & Star Wars.
I eat vegetables & meat.
I am a very, very peaceful person & learned Karate

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 11-13-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

I like the UFP and the Terran Empire...

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps I should clarify. What I mean to say is that I am the anti "Saint" or "Zim", in that whereas those people prefer the original series and canon in general, I prefer the new movie. I am just sick and tired of seeing the TOS ship blow up the Star Trek XI ship and then fly off going "HAHA!" in countless stupid youtube videos. I'm also sick of fans griping about every little thing about this new movie. I've had enough, and I'm seriously tempted to throw away all my toys and DVDs of Prime Universe material. I just think it's time someone took a stand against the so-called "purists". This is a Star Trek XI forum. It should be about Star Trek XI, and fans of Star Trek XI. And I don't think people should go about biting the hand that feeds them.

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 11-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
Perhaps I should clarify. What I mean to say is that I am the anti "Saint" or "Zim", in that whereas those people prefer the original series and canon in general, I prefer the new movie. I am just sick and tired of seeing the TOS ship blow up the Star Trek XI ship and then fly off going "HAHA!" in countless stupid youtube videos. I'm also sick of fans griping about every little thing about this new movie. I've had enough, and I'm seriously tempted to throw away all my toys and DVDs of Prime Universe material. I just think it's time someone took a stand against the so-called "purists". This is a Star Trek XI forum. It should be about Star Trek XI, and fans of Star Trek XI. And I don't think people should go about biting the hand that feeds them.
Hahahahah! Them's fightin' werds

Anyhoo, people have been taking a stand against the so-called "purists" like me since this forum started. All you have to do is read the threads. Hatred, degradation, insults, sarcasm, etc. are all we "purists" or "canonists" ever get on this forum. I do, however appreciate those who can actually discuss these matters in a civilized manner without resulting to insults. Unfortunately, those of us who prefer the prime universe and the continuity thereof are sadly in the minority. And I, personally, love to see the old, antique, antiquated, obsolete TOS Enterprise beat the ever lovin' crapsicles out of the Fuglyprise. It always brings a smile to my face. Then I'll go check out Deg3D's or Vektor's updated version of my favorite starship and smile some more. There will always be two sides to this coin. That's what happens when you mess with a franchise that has 43 years and 700+ hours of history and continuity, however flawed it may be. There will always be those of us who are "old school" Trekkies and others who embrace the new frontier made possible by the Abramsverse. I fall into the former category. I will never accept NuTrek as true Star Trek. But that's me. If you like it, so be it and more power to ya.

Oh yeah, I like the term "Anti-Zim". In order for someone to be anti-something, that something must be a pretty formidable obstacle to overcome. And I'm certainly an immovable object on this particular subject. Makes me feel kinda special.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 11-13-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Admiral

What would you classify as an expert?

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Hahahahah! Them's fightin' werds

Anyhoo, people have been taking a stand against the so-called "purists" like me since this forum started. All you have to do is read the threads. Hatred, degradation, insults, sarcasm, etc. are all we "purists" or "canonists" ever get on this forum. I do, however appreciate those who can actually discuss these matters in a civilized manner without resulting to insults. Unfortunately, those of us who prefer the prime universe and the continuity thereof are sadly in the minority. And I, personally, love to see the old, antique, antiquated, obsolete TOS Enterprise beat the ever lovin' crapsicles out of the Fuglyprise. It always brings a smile to my face. Then I'll go check out Deg3D's or Vektor's updated version of my favorite starship and smile some more. There will always be two sides to this coin. That's what happens when you mess with a franchise that has 43 years and 700+ hours of history and continuity, however flawed it may be. There will always be those of us who are "old school" Trekkies and others who embrace the new frontier made possible by the Abramsverse. I fall into the former category. I will never accept NuTrek as true Star Trek. But that's me. If you like it, so be it and more power to ya.

Oh yeah, I like the term "Anti-Zim". In order for someone to be anti-something, that something must be a pretty formidable obstacle to overcome. And I'm certainly an immovable object on this particular subject. Makes me feel kinda special.
I have never felt that way about you Zim. I like and respect you alot dude.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I have never felt that way about you Zim. I like and respect you alot dude.
I feel the same about you Zardoz. I thoroughly enjoy discussing things with you. You are one of the most civilized, respectful, and pleasant contributors to this fourm. And I greatly appreciate and respect that. It's not as bad as it was a few months ago, but for a while there, I was catching a lot of crap over my opinions of JJA and the Abramsverse. It has slacked off quite a bit, though. Which is nice. So let us continue!