The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why Star Trek XI is best!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default Why Star Trek XI is best!

I hope I'm not alone here, but I am sick and tired of everyone wanting to hold onto the remains of a dead franchise and spitting venom at the people who were gracious enough to bring it back to life. It began with the stupid youtube videos pitting an aging 1960's Enterprise against the new state-of-the-art 2009 Enterprise, and having the old 60's ship win EVERY FRICKIN' TIME. So I decided to start a thread where people who thought this new movie was superior to every other form of Star Trek ever created could unite and have their say. I have discovered that the old Star Trek (Prime universe) is dead to me, and the new movie is about the only form of Star Trek that I really care about anymore. I find that the new Enterprise, the new props, the new cast, crew, sets, starships, space stations, planets, costumes, EVERYTHING that was in this movie is all that I henceforth regard as canon. So for all you canon-freaks out there, you can keep the corpse of the old Star Trek. I'm going to go with the new Star Trek, and I'm going where no one has gone before...into a new frontier. Now who is with me?

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 11-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Vice Admiral

I agree with you

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy

Last edited by starwarsrcks : 03-14-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Captain

I agree that folk should really have an open mind and enjoy this telling of Star Trek. The producers of the film went as far as incluing in the film itself that this is an alternative timeline, so those, say, more "orthodox" can still have comfort that the adventures of the Shatner Continuum still exist. However, I have an open mind and respect those views of the "Orthodox Fans" because its something they--and we all--love. I would just be careful in belittling their passion and views. I'm sure that is not your intent. Just be careful--not because they are a fiesty bunch (and, they can be), but because it's just not cool. Being open-minded about Star Trek TOS goes both ways. Personal example: A local TV station used to show Star Trek: Remastered. Now they don't show it at all. I'm totally bummed about that, because it was TOS with updated effects (which sometimes worked, and sometimes didn't, due to the pacing involved in a 1960's TV show).

I am with you, and happy, happy, happy that Star Trek is now fresh and formost in the minds of movie-goers and making so money for Paramount that they won't be stingy with the purse. The Blu-Ray and DVD sales are going to smash records!

Last edited by Dominus of Megadeus : 11-13-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Commander

I have no problem with the New Universe concept.

The people should come over the Prime Universe and be happy that Star Trek continues. The alternative to a reboot probably would have been the death of the franchise, not the continuation of the Prime Universe.
And even if you don't like STXI, it gives the franchise a future and maybe some of the following productions that become possible by STXI's success can suit your taste better.

However Star Trek XI is not the best. It is entertaining and it gives Star Trek a new future, but it is too superficial to be the best.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post

However Star Trek XI is not the best. It is entertaining and it gives Star Trek a new future, but it is too superficial to be the best.
I agree. There is no reason why people can't like both. TOS was excellent for it's time. Most people like at least one or two of TNG era tv shows and movies. You can't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Yes the new movie revitalised a flagging franchise but it didn't have the philosophy of Star Trek, IMO. It doesn't mean that it can't improve and build from there. Maybe it had to be a space adventure flick to reel the audiences in. I await STXII

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Commander

STXI was needed, new modern production methods had be brought into the Star Trek franchise (the mostly statical production methods of former productions had to be overcome), STXI finally was a ST movie that didn't feel like a very long TV episode, it was a movie that brought back the 'fire', the enthusiasm, that made Star Trek 'cool' again.

It was a necessary new beginning and in oposite to other prequels or reboots it found a good and innovative bridge between old and new.
But it "only" was a beginning, now after you got back the fire, after you made Star Trek 'hot' again and made Paramount realise how much potential Star Trek still has, you have to build on the new fundament and bring in more than just coolness. Now Star Trek is cool again, in the next movie you have to make the next step, the next development and make it cool & relevant/intelligent.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 11-13-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Archer View Post
I hope I'm not alone here, but I am sick and tired of everyone wanting to hold onto the remains of a dead franchise and spitting venom at the people who were gracious enough to bring it back to life.
Gracious? The studio decided to make a cash cow out of Trek, they hired some folks and they did not just work for just love and hot air. Grace is not involved, $$$ are.
And if the franchise really was dead (I don't wanna count how often it has been dead before), JJA et al. are friggin' necromancers.

I cannot fathom how any Trek movie no matter how good it is can be better than all the other 500h of Trek, but that's perhaps because I am more of a TV Trek guy.

Quote:
Now Star Trek is cool again, in the next movie you have to make the next step, the next development and make it cool & relevant/intelligent.
I don't think that this will happen, the production and writing team are not into that kind of non-pop, "elitist" movies.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I don't think that this will happen, the production and writing team are not into that kind of non-pop, "elitist" movies.
I don't expect an "elitist" movie, but you can be entertaining and though have some a little bit more profound scenes. That always was the way of Star Trek (except of TNG times maybe), be entertaining and additionally have a small social message or philosphical/moral theme.

Even if JJA & Co continue their path, anytime there will be a post-JJA time when Paramount will be willing to continue a profitable new Star Trek franchise and new authors have the possibility to pack their thoughts in the new mainstream Trek.
That's the key that devides good from bad authors. The good authors use the entertaining dress as plattform to sell something else in-between. (like Roddenberry did it by using the mainstream theme "waggon train to the stars" to pack his ideas of a better world in-between or like Simpsons e.g. regularely uses his comedian theme to comment on social matters)

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 11-13-2009 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:51 AM
Federation Councillor

I like both.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:56 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
I don't expect an "elitist" movie, but you can be entertaining and though have some a little bit more profound scenes. That always was the way of Star Trek (except of TNG times maybe), be entertaining and additionally have a small social message or philosphical/moral theme.

Even if JJA & Co continue their path, anytime there will be a post-JJA time when Paramount will be willing to continue a profitable new Star Trek franchise and new authors have the possibility to pack their thoughts in the new mainstream Trek.
That's the key that devides good from bad authors. The good authors use the entertaining dress as plattform to sell something else in-between. (like Roddenberry did it by using the mainstream theme "waggon train to the stars" to pack his ideas of a better world in it or like Simpsons e.g. regularely does it)
Precisely, many of the superhero movies of the last years have shown that you can make blockbusters which are about something. Simply give the main characters a real choice about something that matters, then you approach the grandeur of TWOK or TUC.

Not that I mind a pure adventure spectacle, if that's what they want and what they are best at they should do it. I actually believe that some artifical "deepness" injected into the next Trek movie just in order to satisfy certain fans will not work as it wouldn't be authentic.