The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Problems With "V"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Commander

Default Problems With "V"

PLEASE EXCUSE THE RANT! It's been two episodes already and I don't really get why the Visitors are supposed to be the bad guys. Sure, there's the Reptilian skin, the snakey nature of how they hide their identities with a human appearance, but can you really blame them? Look at human history for a sampling of how we treat people that look different from us. What have they done for humanity? Cured the sick and created a sense of oneness among humans. In exchange for acceptance, trust-sounds reasonable. So their leader doesn't like being asked tough questions, who does? They monitor phone calls, TV programming, so does the government. They have moles in our government and society, foreign governments still spy also, and so do domestic security agencies. They dislike protestors and resistance fighters, so do corporations. I guess my point here is I really don't find these Visitors all that alien or menacing, despite the creepy music. They haven't blown up major cities and taken what they want like humans have in the past. What have they really done that makes them baddies any worse than the baddies in a non-alien world? The show hasn't effectively made the case that these Visitors are bad guys, or any worse than the existing bad guys in our world, IMO.

Last edited by chator : 11-10-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Have you seen the original V?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagaditH View Post

He's a Peace Ambassador. You can relax though I've already outed him to the resistance.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagaditH View Post
Yes. And I think the original V did a better job of presenting these aliens as baddies than the current show does. I know this show is sticking pretty close to the original, but I just don't find these Visitors all that bad, or evil, or whatever they are supposed to be. This could seriously imperil the show, as they need to be evil or menacing for the audience to root for the heroes in the show, and for the proper tension and excitment to exist where the audience cares to see the Visitors get trashed. Am I alone in feeling this, or do others agree with me?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
Yes. And I think the original V did a better job of presenting these aliens as baddies than the current show does. I know this show is sticking pretty close to the original, but I just don't find these Visitors all that bad, or evil, or whatever they are supposed to be. This could seriously imperil the show, as they need to be evil or menacing for the audience to root for the heroes in the show, and for the proper tension and excitment to exist where the audience cares to see the Visitors get trashed. Am I alone in feeling this, or do others agree with me?
I haven't been watching the new one and know very little about it. Who knows they might be drawing parallels to the human race the first few episodes so they can really blindside you later on.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
PLEASE EXCUSE THE RANT! It's been two episodes already and I don't really get why the Visitors are supposed to be the bad guys. Sure, there's the Reptilian skin, the snakey nature of how they hide their identities with a human appearance, but can you really blame them? Look at human history for a sampling of how we treat people that look different from us. What have they done for humanity? Cured the sick and created a sense of oneness among humans. In exchange for acceptance, trust-sounds reasonable. So their leader doesn't like being asked tough questions, who does? They monitor phone calls, TV programming, so does the government. They have moles in our government and society, foreign governments still spy also, and so do domestic security agencies. They dislike protestors and resistance fighters, so do corporations. I guess my point here is I really don't find these Visitors all that alien or menacing, despite the creepy music. They haven't blown up major cities and taken what they want like humans have in the past. What have they really done that makes them baddies any worse than the baddies in a non-alien world? The show hasn't effectively made the case that these Visitors are bad guys, or any worse than the existing bad guys in our world, IMO.
Well, it's only two episodes in, but...

Some people want them to leave. They meet in a warehouse to stage a some sort of plan to move against them and the visitors send in their blade wielding ninja assassins to quell any uprising before it starts. That was enough to sell me on them being bad guys.

But they certainly are more political in this V than the original. The original had that political angle but it got to Gestapo-style police force alot quicker. This one seems more insidious. Killing with kindness sort of material. Never trust anyone who ends every speech with, 'we're at peace, always.'

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Federation Councillor

I'm not impressed.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Commander

Don't forget about the saying " don't trust the wolf and sheep clothing.
This V is based in New York so it will develope diffrent than the other. I am sure we will see more of what they are up to soon (remember the sleeper Cell)

Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Commander

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/v-she...0-of-audience/

More bad news for "V". That Elizabeth Mitchell is hot!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Vice Admiral

I felt like very little happened in the second episode. The first went by too damn fast and glossed over great story opportunities and the second episode didn't tell much story at all!!

episode 2

I will keep watching, but I may not return after episode 4 when V takes it's long hiatus.

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 11-12-2009 at 11:08 AM.