The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Out of all the 11 films which is your favourite and why
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gennarelli View Post
I'll actually take Star Trek III. It gave Shatner and Kelley lots of screen time and I like how it has a major climax with the Enterprise, the fight, Genesis blows up and back to Vulcan again for Nimoy's rebirth as Spock. What more could we have asked for.
3 is under rated, just wish it gave Takei and Keonig more to do, I love the entering spacedock scene myself.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

With the release of Trek XI, it is actually easier for me to now choose an actual favorite of all 11, and that is the NEW Star Trek movie. It is the movie I've waited all my Trek fan years for.

Before this movie came out, you could not get me to pick an "overall" favorite, because of the two different generations and their styles.

My favorite from TOS crew is "The Undiscovered Country" just edging out "The Wrath of Khan".

My favorite from TNG crew is "Nemesis" just edging out "First Contact".

But because the new movie has a style all its own that clearly outpaces the previous films, yes, the new Trek movie is my overall favorite.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Wrath of Khan for me.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Commander

I find it's often like trying to pick your favourite child, is impossible but some days you can relate to some better than others.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Ensign

First Contact really plays out to me what Star Trek is all about. What it is meant to be, so I'd pick that movie.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gennarelli View Post
I'll actually take Star Trek III. It gave Shatner and Kelley lots of screen time and I like how it has a major climax with the Enterprise, the fight, Genesis blows up and back to Vulcan again for Nimoy's rebirth as Spock. What more could we have asked for.
I find TSFS is highly under-rated but look at it.

Many important character moments for all the main characters, wonderful development for Kirk/McCoy after the events of TWOK and yet filled with action sequences (the destruction of the Grissom, the Spacedock entrance and escape and the destruction of the Enterprise plus the break up the Genesis planet).

It has emotion, action and comedy and none of it feels forced (once we get around the Genesis side effect) but a natural progression of TWOK. These days I rank TWOK and TSFS as joint first because they just seem so connected I can't separate them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roysten View Post
I find it's often like trying to pick your favourite child, is impossible but some days you can relate to some better than others.
That does happen as well!

Anyway out of the original TOS films I'd pick TWOK/TSFS jointly.

Out of the TNG films I'd pick FC as it has the best balance of action, comedy and drama and we witness the First Contact of mankind at the very end!

Obviously out of the new series we just have the first and Star Trek is hugely enjoyable as an adventure that's a genuine movie that stands on it's own.

However, within the overall films I would list it third after TWOK/TSFS and ahead of FC in fourth place.

The rest can be slotted in wherever because they all just don't work very well for me for various reasons.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 12-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Captain

I think that TWOK and TSFS are probably best viewed almost as one movie, which together would be my favorite because in that combination we find some of the best mix of action, dialogue, and character interaction that the TOS cast shows us.

For the TNG cast, "Contact" wouldl be it for the same reasons mentioned above.

BTW, I only count TEN Star Trek films. That thing I saw in May may as well have been Transformers 3. Great sci-fi, but not Trek for me.
I know, I know....
Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Admiral

My favorite is Trek IV, but I think the best is Trek II.

Why? Because Trek IV has everything you could want. At least for me. It's got a concept that is really out there, very much like V'ger, but it doesn't take it self seriously which is what brought down TMP in my opinion.

But Khan is a better movie I think. It's the apogee of Trek in movies. It really gets out of the sort of sigma Star Trek movies have and delivers something mostly anyone will dig. The new movie did that as well, but the writing can't compare with Khan, IMO.

Still I like the whales best.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"

Last edited by Livingston : 12-07-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Lieutenant Commander

The Voyage Home.

It probably has the most off-beat plot of any of the movies - "we are going to save the world by doing The Italian Job with whales!"

No villain!

It also probably has the least involvement of The Studio and Paramount's Wonderful Shopping List of Needful Things, which I go on about to the point of

That
...is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence. - Q
Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post

BTW, I only count TEN Star Trek films. That thing I saw in May may as well have been Transformers 3. Great sci-fi, but not Trek for me.
I know, I know....

SILENCE!!!!...... I keel you!