The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why NuTrek sucks... so far
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 04:29 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Well, different people go about expressing themselves in different ways. Online as in the real world.

You'll just have to find a way to deal with Trigger - or ignore them.
I have no problem "dealing" with trigger. I deal with people like him on a daily basis. However, I would much rather have a civilized conversation with a person with the ability to express his opinion without the need to demean others who don't agree with him. Trigger apparently doesn't have that ability.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Why is this always the counter argument?? No one ever said ALL Trek was deep or taught morals, nor did anyone say those morals were groundbreaking. The truth is, for many people, Trek DID change their life. No one is saying a TV show or movie is where people should learn morals, but for many of us, our favorite episodes of Trek do take alook into the human condition... and yes, teach a moral lesson. There are also many people that have been inspired by Trek to go into careers in science and technology. I doubt one specific episode did the trick, but then again I think you were just joking.

I agree with you in regards to not being in the '60's. I did not mind the new look of most the ships and equipment, although I think the NuEnt looked pretty damn horrible. It only needed minor tweeks. Nacelles needed to be spread further apart and should not have looked like giant boobies!! Yes... I said "boobies"!!
If I had to come up with a list of ten people, books, movies or ideas that have had the most significant impact upon my life, Trek would be on it.
Of course Trek is first and above all straightforward entertainment, but there are also a few great and even some original ideas in it. The Prime Directive would hardly appear in a political philosophy seminar, but I personally prefer something simple and yet still morally puzzling like the PD over extremes like brainless entertainment or something complicated which I don't understand.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:14 AM
Vice Admiral

Did you know that there is going to be a fan film set in the prime universe on how Kirk and Spock really met , if you check www.trekmovie.com there's news about it

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Yes... I said "boobies"!!
Mmmm... boobies.

Most interesting thing anyone's said in this thread for a while now...
Old 02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Vice Admiral

Is it because they did the movie move along fast, I would have liked more Starfleet Academy stuff because it would have been interesting,

Space is disease and dangerous wrapped in darkness and silence-Leonard Bones McCoy
Old 02-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippyDave View Post
Mmmm... boobies.

Most interesting thing anyone's said in this thread for a while now...
While I may be included in that - I tend to agree!

courtesy of Saquist
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
It doesn't need to, nor is that a very realistic reason for being "against it," unless you're against a lot of other Trek too. Let's not pretend that every installment of Star Trek had these "morals," nor let's pretend that they are groundbreaking or useful most of the time either.

Of course, there will be someone here to chime in with how Star Trek taught them so much in one episode that it turned their life around and led to their career as a leading researcher with NASA.

Right, because we're not in the 1960's anymore.
The appeal to realism in the midst of the scientific stupidity of Star Trek which was laced with just about the stupidest expressions of science and realism.

I don't mind the lessons in morality from old Trek.
It was a time when saying what was right didn't make you a conservative or bible thumper no people smart at being told they have few or no morals and we applaud the K-K-K,and gay and lesbian rallies in the same breath...

But..don't let an abortion super bowl add interrupt our all important entertainment. I'm going to call that hypocritical. because it is. Society is SO morally backwards they can't see beyond bridge of their nose.

I accept it. That's how it is. It'll only get worse.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Vice Admiral

Well TOS is the motherland, the prime, do you think without TOS there wouldn't be any renditions, I mean other Star Trek series and movies and off course there wouldn't be alternate universes so I think Star Trek 09 is like a homage, a child paying love and respect to it's mother universe and I think that is great and it doesn't erase anything you have known from the Prime universe, the mother universe. They have wiped the slate clean in Star Trek 09. What do you think of that aspect and my post.

Last edited by starwarsrcks : 02-11-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Vice Admiral

I'm not forcing anyone that doesn't like it to like it ok

Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Vice Admiral

They made it so that everyone will enjoy it and that they are not tied down to past continunity it was a prequel and reboot.