The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Why NuTrek sucks... so far
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tom Coughlin View Post
I agree, it's a good collection of people here
Agreed!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

I must give props to MrQ! Certainly made the place more lively in a day than it has been in some time.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Admiral

looks like I missed all the excitement. You go out for 3 hours.....

"Unless you have something a little bigger in your torpedo tubes, I'm not turning around!"
Old 11-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla1987 View Post
I must give props to MrQ! Certainly made the place more lively in a day than it has been in some time.
Thanks! I actually haven't posted much lately. It's amazing how much yard work and home repairs you can get done when you stay off the computer!

I have always been a fan of the TNG films, even Insurrection, so I got a little ticked when I saw the NEM bashing threads. I have heard the complaints before, so I figured I would do the same for NuTrek.

It really surprised me how much the small things and familiarity meant to me. I enjoy being able to follow the technobabble!! NuTrek gave me nothing that I crave from Trek, just the same names for places and characters. Well... I am being overly harsh. There were a number of lines that were very much in character and often times brought a smile to my face, but the movie as a whole failed to make me care about this alternate universe.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Commander

I will make a confession too. I went to see the film because i was largely curious about what J.J. would do. Although i liked some of the casting, Karl Urban and Zachary Quinto, and the realistic visual effects, i thought the writing was poor, dumbed down, the characters were "off", i didn't like how J.J. changed everything from making Delta Vega an ice planet, to blowing-up Vulcan. I wanted to see a genuine origin story for the Original crew, what i got was a half-a$$ed effort that re-writes large chunks of Trek "fictional" history. I wanted STAR TREK MOVIE to do for Trek what BATMAN BEGINS did for Batman. What the film made me realize is that I'm really a Berman Trek fan. I like TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and the TNG films. I don't think I'll watch the sequel, or care much what spin-offs are made off of this new film.

Last edited by chator : 11-09-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I think I have made clear that I am not much of a fan of ST09 but the half-reboot was a great idea IMO.
I am too lazy to rephrase my opinion and simply quote myself:

With this half-reboot they freed themselves from the shackles of continuity and yet can still use whatever they like from previous Trek. Furthermore it is a humble way to approach the franchise, they don't pretend that nothing before their movie existed.
I think the "shackles of continuity" ARE Trek... for the most part. Every movie and series has flubbed some details here and there, no big deal. Saying you can't do a movie in a known universe because there are too many knowns sounds like a good argument for NOT making a movie in that universe... period, NOT give a lame a$$ connection excuse you think will satisfy the "nerd" crowd. (I say "nerd" and I am referring to myself!)

I was all for a little bending of "canon". I really wanted to see how Kirk became a Captain. I wanted to see how the "real" crew of the 1701 (prime) came to be together. I didn't mind the redesign (although a bit ugly) of the 1701, the Apple store bridge, or the 90210 cast (I like T&A just as much as anyone), but the rest of the Trek universe was also thrown out. That is why it is Trek only in name. Prior to the movie being released I knew the movie was to take place in an alternate reality, but I figured that would be corrected somehow and we would see an actual origins story. Sadly that did not happen.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chator View Post
I will make a confession too. I went to see the film because i was largely curious about what J.J. would do. Although i liked some of the casting, Karl Urban, and the realistic visual effects, i thought the writing was poor, dumbed down, the characters were "off", i didn't like how J.J. changed everything from making Delta Vega an ice planet, to blowing-up Vulcan. I wanted to see a genuine origin story for the Original crew, what i got was a half-a$$ed effort that re-writes large chunks of Trek "fictional" history. I wanted STAR TREK MOVIE to do for Trek what BATMAN BEGINS did for Batman. What the film made me realize is that I'm really a Berman Trek fan. I like TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and the TNG films. I don't think I'll watch the sequel, or care much what spin-offs are made off of this new film.
I feel as you do
Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Vice Admiral

One more quick reason NuTrek sucked...

I absolutely HATED the Kobiyashi scene!! There is a difference between being overly confident and making it blatantly obvious you cheated. I figured Kirk's "cheat" was some computer code (up,up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, select, start comes to mind!) that would make it possible to at least win the battle. Then I figured we see some of Kirk's tactical brilliance in a hard fought victory!! Of course the big wigs at Starfleet academy would know Kirk cheated because the test was unwinnable, but at least my version would give him some damn credit as a great officer in the making, NOT just a punk.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post

I absolutely HATED the Kobiyashi scene!! There is a difference between being overly confident and making it blatantly obvious you cheated. I figured Kirk's "cheat" was some computer code (up,up, down, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, select, start comes to mind!) that would make it possible to at least win the battle. Then I figured we see some of Kirk's tactical brilliance in a hard fought victory!! Of course the big wigs at Starfleet academy would know Kirk cheated because the test was unwinnable, but at least my version would give him some damn credit as a great officer in the making, NOT just a punk.
If you get a chance read Julia Ecklar's book Kobayashi Maru. It brilliantly imagines how prime Kirk dealt with that scenario. There were a series of animated shorts based on it that i provided a link to in an earlier post. But its just best to read it.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post

I'm always amazed that people seem to think Kirk had tactical brilliance when half the time the writers had Spock make the breakthrough, or Kirk used a fairly simple advantage (bluffing, being up against an enemy unfamiliar with fighting in Space or using his fists).

Kirk was rarely a brilliant tactitian and it's perfectly clear that his Kobayashi Maru win would be nothing else than the simplest route to victory. Because that was Kirk.

He said re reprogrammed the computer - that's what he did.

And as a point of fact - there is absolutely nothing inconsistent in that scene with what we knew of it from previous information, with the addition of the long held fan belief that it was always how Spock and Kirk first encountered each other.

courtesy of Saquist