The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Battlestar Galactica the show for DS9 fans?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2008, 02:22 AM
Banned

Post Battlestar Galactica the show for DS9 fans?

I'm a DS9 fan, and was wondering whether the re-imagined Battlestar Galatcia series was a kind of medicine for those of us with withdrawal symptoms of Deep Space Nine as they are both in affect space soap operas?
What do you all think?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

No. Apples and oranges.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Federation Councillor

Bit of both.

Yes it's without question the best sci-fi series made at least since DS9 ended and I enjoy that both were complex ongoing drama's rather than stand alone story shows.

But BSG is much more than a soap opera, so I would disagree with tha terminology. It's the finest drama series since The West Wing.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

Um... I wouldn't go THAT far... "West Wing?" Really?

I think BSG is pretty subversive, considering how it insinuates that the US may be the moral equal to the Cylons, during their occupation of New Caprica, but to compare a Glen A. Larson inspired space show with seven seasons of West Wing, about the POTUS, and his staff, is kinda pushing it.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
Um... I wouldn't go THAT far... "West Wing?" Really?

I think BSG is pretty subversive, considering how it insinuates that the US may be the moral equal to the Cylons, during their occupation of New Caprica, but to compare a Glen A. Larson inspired space show with seven seasons of West Wing, about the POTUS, and his staff, is kinda pushing it.
As a non American, I'm going to pass over the implied notion that The West Wing is patriotic and BSG seeks to be the opposite. As a non-American that aspect doesn't interest me much. Which is not intended to offend anyone merely to be honest.

To begin, I stand by the comparison as examples of drama shows with large casts, multiple complex plots and storylines, high on characterisation and character development, twist heavy, where the waters can become very muddied.

BSG doesn't strike me as particularly anti-US in it's nature, but others may see it differently. Since the entire series is in many ways a 9/11 and aftermath allegory series it's not surprising that questions may be posed through the storyline of the plot. In my book, subversiveness is not necessarily a flaw.

Those questions are being asked in the present, after all. I don't know if such questions offend you or not, but on basic level they're perfectly valid. It's no surprise when you consider that on BSG the distinction between Cylon and Human is becoming increasingly blurred - it only reflects elements of our world's political climate just now, where we're encouraged to fear what's round every street corner.

However, that's only my opinion. And at the end of the day it's the kind of series that can be open to different interpretations so mine is no more right than anyone else's. But I still stand by my series comparison.

Last edited by kevin : 08-29-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Fleet Admiral

The ones who largely see the new BSG as some kind of anti-American allegory are those who have been opposed to the new show from the onset....that being those who've felt cheated by the fact that the original series did not get the continuation it deserved.

Personally, even as an American, I simply filter out any political elements the show may have. I just watch it as another TV show, and enjoy it....although I've not been able to catch the current (and final) season. I'll have to wait for the DVD.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
The ones who largely see the new BSG as some kind of anti-American allegory are those who have been opposed to the new show from the onset....that being those who've felt cheated by the fact that the original series did not get the continuation it deserved.

Personally, even as an American, I simply filter out any political elements the show may have. I just watch it as another TV show, and enjoy it....although I've not been able to catch the current (and final) season. I'll have to wait for the DVD.
Agreed! I just watch it because I enjoy it.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Agreed! I just watch it because I enjoy it.
So Say We All!