The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > James Cawley the new movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Lieutenant Commander

The New Voyages are ok...I too find them lacking in many regards. Mainly the acting.
the stories plot points also seem far fetched and forced, but the poor acting is what enhances this element IMO. The first time I saw it I was thinking it was a parody and then quickly realized it was not.

Having said that i do appreciate the effort put forth. I mean everything from a content perspective, ships, sets, effects etc are actually spot on and that is impressive for a non profit gig.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Ensign

DISCLOSURE: I am a member of the Star Trek: New Voyages production crew. I am a speaking extra in the upcoming episode, David Gerrold's Blood and Fire. I am a New Voyages forum moderator.

On behalf of all the New Voyages cast and crew, I want to thank everyone who supports us. For those of you who don't, that's okay, too. You are of course entitled to your opinions.

KIRK: Like the rest of the cast, James Cawley's performance has improved with every episode. He, more than any fan I know of, has truly earned the right to play James T. Kirk. Balancing his interpretation of the character with the "Shatner" Kirk whom we all know and love cannot be an easy thing to do, and I applaud the performances he has given us in his efforts to find that proper balance.

SPOCK: Yes, with the upcoming Blood and Fire you will be introduced to a new Mister Spock. Ben Tolpin is a professional actor, and he spent every morning in the make-up chair watching TOS, studying Leonard Nimoy's performances. I think you will all be amazed at what you witness when his debut episode is released.

McCOY: I think DeForest Kelley has to be as hard an act to follow as William Shatner. Our own "Doc John" has been criticized more than once, unfairly in my opinion, but although I have not seen any of the final B&F footage myself, I'm told that he really nails it this time.

SCOTTY: Poor Charles. I think he, more than any of the rest of the cast, has been the target of some of the worst non-constructive criticism I have read. He's taken it all in stride, and his responses, when given, have been shining examples of professionalism. Charles is not a professional actor and is not an expert at speaking in various accents. I say this because a lot of the criticism I've read is about his accent on the show. Charles has a hard task. He's giving it his all and getting better with every round. Like Mister Kelley, James Doohan is a hard act to follow. Cut Charles some slack, will ya people? <--- referring to those beyond just this forum.

SULU: Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to meet Mister Lim personally, but I have to say I think he did a great job. Sometimes, if I closed my eyes, I could have sworn I was listening to George Takei.

CHEKOV: What can I say. Andy Bray was the best. Recommended for the part by Walter Koenig himself. Having moved on in his career, he will be missed.

UHURA: As it is for Ben Tolpin as Spock, Blood and Fire is Kim Stinger's premier as Uhura. You're going to love her, every one of you.

This is not the original series, folks. It is a continuation of the original five year mission. Like Mister Abrams' new film, these New Voyages are being taken by a new cast with their own interpretations of our beloved characters.

And for those of you who criticize the look of the sets, know this. They were built in painstaking detail from the original Paramount blueprints. They're not laid out in the studio the same, but every detail you see on screen is either the same as the original series, or an extension of it that today's modern technology has allowed our gifted artists to create.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Ensign

SgtGlenn - I applaud the time and effort that have gone into the New Voyages. The earlier episodes stumbled only in their acting and trying to reference episodes from the original series too much. Koenig's episode was a head scratching unnecessary continuity rift but George Takei's episode was a relevation and surpassed some of the TOS episodes.

Can't wait to see what else the cast and crew of TNV have in store.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Ensign

@ SgtGlennSmith
Did you mean "disclaimer"? Anyway, I sometimes do not get my actual intent across as my thoughts kind of come out quickly & are short. Let me clarify in response to your post.

I'm sure Cawley has earned the right & is a great guy & I know this is his baby. STTNV seems to be really becoming something big & is getting better all the time as far as production value & press & staff including the actors. I really feel Cawley's performance comes off as an impersonation not an interpretation. I would hate to see that hold back something that continues to improve & could be big someday.
I have no problem with the actor who plays McCoy (except maybe his hair). I wonder if a talented director could pull some intensity out of him.
As for Scott. Well if he's not a pro or even an ameteur I understand & yes he would be doing an excellent job then. However, depending on where Cawley wants this thing to go, maybe he should be thanked for his valiant efforts & given a job behind the scenes & hire someone who can help move NV forward rather than hold it back. It's not his fault, he's not an actor as you said.
You speak of Lim in the past tense. Is he out? Or did I misunderstand? I thought he did an excellent job, I just didn't like his haircut.
Losing the Chekhov actor is a great loss. He was excellent & so much like Keonig it was creepy.
I'll be more specific about my comments on the sets. In some shots the bridge view screen looks small. Not bad just noticeable. Some of the lighting looks too dark. I geuss those were it. The sets do actually look pretty authentic & awesome. I geuss I just prefer the style of TNG & so on but that's my deal.
I think Cawley has stumbled upon something amazing which is clearly growing in leaps & bounds & I just don't want to see it held back because of an inability to let go.

Last edited by thecrow : 02-07-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Commander

Star Trek: New Voyages is not Canon.

To me, it is a possilbe extention, kind of a "What If" experiment created by fans of the original show.

I enjoyed World Enough and Time, dispite the less than professional acting in the series in general.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
As for criticism, HRH and I have been in a few arguments at StarTrek.com and I, for one, listen to him about as much as he believes the STNV episodes are canon, so not really at all. The man's never had a single constructive thing to say, and his only use is to instigate arguments, so he's useless.
I have never heard of you before.

Quote:
You can do whatever you want, but frankly your longtime hijacking of ENT discussion turned to "criticizing" the series nonstop has become quite old.
Nor have I heard of you.

Please people. Leave your grudges against me on StarTrek.COM
Old 02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Ensign

@ Old Darth,

In To Serve All My Days, no one actually ever said that Chekov was dead. There is a special edition of that episode coming out in a few months, "To Serve All My Days: A Night in 1969". It is designed to actually "be" an episode in the 1960's, complete with period commercials, I believe. Some points will be clarified in this version.

@ thecrow

You are correct in assuming that "Disclaimer" would have worked, but I was thinking more along the lines of "full disclosure" at the time. Anyway...

I did take your comments as constructive criticism, so no worries. I also realize you didn't comment on the actor who plays McCoy. I just included that because other people in other forums have said some things--some constructive, some not.

I did speak of John Lim in the past tense, didn't I? I should have been clearer. What I meant was that I did not have the opportunity to meet Mister Lim personally while on the set of Blood and Fire--it was crazy busy--, but I have to say I think he did a great job in Center Seat and World Enough and Time, which are the only things I've seen him in so far. Sorry for the confusion.

As for the rest of what you said, both initially and in response to my post, I take it in the constructive spirit in which you offered it. Thank you.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Lieutenant

''Disclosure'' is indeed the correct word to use. A ''disclaimer'' is denial of responsibility of something -- for example in movies when they disclaim that the characters are in some way coincidentally similar to real persons living or dead. Glenn is disclosing that he is a representative of both STNV and has worked in production -- not denying his affiliation. That's being forthright and owning up to a position that could be interpreted as biased.

For example, I disclose that Glenn is co-writing the novelization of STSOP with me, so my coming to his defense or the defense of STNV (as if either actually needs it) is my ''disclosure.''

I'll also lend my support to what ''HRH'' said -- I indeed support his statement that in a sense says, ''what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.''

Clean slate here, folks. The sad truth I learned from the StarTrek.com boards when I stopped contributing is that there is a fairly strong undertone of negativity and ''people getting personal,'' and I am just one of a large number I know who have felt this and stopped contributing to that forum as well. It was not a pleasant experience and perhaps it's changed now -- albeit too late.

Do we really want to ''trash up'' this forum as well? I think it's possible to do the opposite and show our ''true colors'' and lose the ''fan-boy'' image often associated with Star Trek fans. There are university level courses that study the Star Trek phenomenon for God's sake. Many of the most successful leaders today have Star Trek fandom in their life's journey.

Let's be civil, try to avoid blanket generalizations and trite remarks as well as ''getting personal.'' That's really contrary to not only common courtesy, but contrary to the principles of Star Trek as well. I think we're all up to this challenge.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Ensign

@ Summer Storm Pictures
That definition makes sense & I kind of thought that after I wrote that but I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Would it make sense to say that his disclosure was a disclaimer?
Old 02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
@ Summer Storm Pictures
That definition makes sense & I kind of thought that after I wrote that but I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. Would it make sense to say that his disclosure was a disclaimer?
No, no no -- my statement was not in reaction to your comment sarcastic or otherwise. Don't worry. I think it just provided a good lead-in to what was really on my mind.