The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I made a decision
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Personally, I find voting for either Obama or Hillary to be the wrong decision. One I cannot make, since I am not a Citizen.

But I will say this:

Either one of them will undoubtably raise my taxes. I don't have the reference handy, but Obama, from what I understand, actually said this openly.

I would like to see the Government live within it's means without artificially inflating those means and decreasing mine.

I would like a government that actually enforces the borders by it's own laws, while streamlining the immigration and visa processes, so that legal, trackable immigration takes place.

There are no candidates who will do this, but I firmly believe that the current Democratic candidates are not going to help matters here.

BTW, NCC-73515, I find that this forum could easily be used for political debates.

Especially since this is an "Off Topic" general discussion area.

In fact, I would argue that part of the process to bring us closer to Star Trek's future is figuring out these details, and perhaps how they could lead to us being ready for the 23rd Century.
Of which country are you a citizen?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktrek View Post
I suppose the first time America is in real danger she is just going to sit in the oval office and "cry"?
Riiiiiiite ............. because she's a woman???
I missed that before...it is a silly thing to say. Anyone think Baroness Thatcher cried when the Argies invaded the Falklands? No way. She called forth her generals, admirals and air-marshals and told them to go kick arse.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS9TREK View Post
I missed that before...it is a silly thing to say. Anyone think Baroness Thatcher cried when the Argies invaded the Falklands? No way. She called forth her generals, admirals and air-marshals and told them to go kick arse.
Besides the fact that Bill probably cries WAY more than Hillary ....... which isn't a slam against Bill ............ just a reality of what a hard *** Hillary is.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS9TREK View Post

Actually I didn't say that because she is a woman but because her public tears of late do not show her as a strong leader but a weak one. I personally don't want to see a presidential hopeful breaking out into tears, which she has done on at least two occasions that I know of recently. I don't believe it exhibits strong leadership. If the context had been at a funeral or some tragedy I would find her tears appropriate. She has used her tears to manipulate the public and people's emotions. That I don't like.

I suppose I could have worded my comment better but I was tired last night when I started this topic.

Kevin
Old 02-07-2008, 07:30 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
Personally, I find voting for either Obama or Hillary to be the wrong decision. One I cannot make, since I am not a Citizen.

But I will say this:

Either one of them will undoubtably raise my taxes. I don't have the reference handy, but Obama, from what I understand, actually said this openly.

I would like to see the Government live within it's means without artificially inflating those means and decreasing mine.

I would like a government that actually enforces the borders by it's own laws, while streamlining the immigration and visa processes, so that legal, trackable immigration takes place.

There are no candidates who will do this, but I firmly believe that the current Democratic candidates are not going to help matters here.
I fully appreciate what you are saying here and I would have to say that none of us want to have our taxes raised. To me it seems that whatever party wins will be raising taxes anyway. So, I have to look at what issues are important to me and make my best decision, which I have done.

Obama speaks to my heart and for the first time since Ronald Reagan there is a candidate running for office that makes me proud to be an American and motivates me to actually get involved in the process. Hillary does not do that for me, nor does McCain. I see McCain as just another four years of the Bush regime extended under another name.

I believe the country needs a new and fresh direction and outlook and Obama provides that in loads. Hillary is the status quo and although we will some changes if she becomes President it will be basically the Bush/Clinton dynasty carrying on business as usual.

Kevin
Old 02-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I saw "Mitt Romney" withdraw from the race today.

I thought it was one of the absurd speeches I have ever heard.

The French-bashing was laughable and his comments about Europe equally foolish.

It's a good thing he won't be president.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Lieutenant

Neither of them could possibly be as bad as the current one. My 'indecision' still stands.

"It might not be so bad. For all we know the Vorta could be gluttonous, alcoholic sex maniacs."
~Quark and Ziyal
Old 02-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Rear Admiral

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready Room View Post
vote Quimby

LOL!!!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiin View Post
Of which country are you a citizen?
United Kindom of Great Britain.

Don't get me started on socialized medicine (National Health Service in the UK).

My grandmother has been waiting almost 10 years for an "urgent" operation, pays about the same in National Insurance tax as anyone with a private plan here in the U.S., and cannot get what is needed.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
I saw "Mitt Romney" withdraw from the race today.

I thought it was one of the absurd speeches I have ever heard.

The French-bashing was laughable and his comments about Europe equally foolish.

It's a good thing he won't be president.
France has redeemed itself somewhat with Sarkozy, but it is hardly a strong supporter of the U.S.

I haven't heard or read the entire speech. What exactly did he say about France and Europe?