The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Orci on canon
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default Orci on canon

Boborci on Trekmovie.com:

As i’ve said before, Trek fans are among the most savvy in the world, and since Damon and I humbly consider ourselves fans as well, all we had to to was look at each other to know that it was going to matter A LOT.
Canon is part of the DNA of our story. If you know your Trek, your knowledge will not be wasted. If you don’t, if won’t prevent you from entering this amazing world that’s been taken care of for over forty years by the fans. What other franchise has as distinct and established phenomenon as to have a name (Trekkie, Trekker). Even mainstream media covers the Star Trek fan base. There are no SPIDERMANNERS or PIRATERS, or SUPERMANNIES.
Trek belongs to all of us. I see canon much like the constitution. It is living document, but it has some principles that are iviolable.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 02-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

That's a useful quote to pull, since it combines two facets of Orci's work in the film which fans (for now) seem insistent upon separating: this film's creators are fans of the original TREK and some measure of the wider universe (films, books, series), and plan to tell as canon-consistent story as their concept allows. Respect for canon without being slavish to the minutae of canon.

The creative team recognizes their responsibility to what exists and the fans who not only appreciate it but have kept it alive through decades, but they're also telling a new ambitious story and they must also serve the entertainment needs of their vision too. This new film must balance both of those efforts, and thus it cannot satisfy only one or the other totally -- as indeed no other project could, either.

The trick now is: fans know all about everything TREK already existing and practically nothing about this new story, so it's the fans who are having the hardest time seeing a potential balance. For now.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Boborci on Trekmovie.com:

What other franchise has as distinct and established phenomenon as to have a name (Trekkie, Trekker). Even mainstream media covers the Star Trek fan base.
Doctor Who.

And if he wants lessons on how to bring back a hugely successful sci-fi franchise, he can do worse then ask Doctor Who's executive producer Russell T. Davies.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Midshipman

I think the best shot he and Alex Kurtzman have is to play the last card: write an amazing, completely out of this world screenplay. And frankly, I think they both have the talent to do so. And have.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Lieutenant Commander

The "principles" of TOS shouldn't be violated, but the onscreen events are all open to change given the time travel angles.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Commander

The thing is: minutae is relative amongst Trek fans. Some people think missing the color of a button is an egregious offense. Others think that "James R. Kirk" and "James T. Kirk" is a non-issue. The truth is: there are 100's of different impressions on what is "true to canon." However, I'm inclined to believe that if you are one of the people who analyzes every frame of Trek, analyzes every syllable of dialogue, you will probably be alienated from this film. But really, you are allowing yourselves to be alienated by being just a bit to consumed by Trek.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS9TREK View Post
Doctor Who.

That's true, i know lots of doctors.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:52 AM
Commander

Quote:
The truth is: there are 100's of different impressions on what is "true to canon." However, I'm inclined to believe that if you are one of the people who analyzes every frame of Trek, analyzes every syllable of dialogue, you will probably be alienated from this film.
But there's a vast difference in being loyal to canon and being a slave to insignifcant details. I think the vast majority of people take canon to mean the story elements that make up Star Trek and the characters we have loved for so long---not the button sequence that was used to open Kirk's "safe" in his quarters or how the Bridge of the Enterprise is designed or even what the uniforms look like.

This film can absolutely tell a brand new story with a brand new look and new actors and still be 100% loyal to established events in Star Trek. I suspect that's exactly what will happen, too.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:53 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Doctor Who.

And if he wants lessons on how to bring back a hugely successful sci-fi franchise, he can do worse then ask Doctor Who's executive producer Russell T. Davies.
True enough; regrettably, Mr Davies is also on record as saying that American SF producers listen too much to the fans about how to make their shows, and that he doesn't want to listen to them.

The LA Times article is Paying Customers Only, but the reference is here:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/fo...p?topic=4349.0

Old 02-07-2008, 04:20 AM
Captain

Quote:
Doctor Who.

Exactly what came to my mind as well...hardcore Whovians are every bit as rabid as Trek fans.

On the music side you have Beatlemaniacs and Deadheads...