The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > New rules... Good? Bad?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Rear Admiral

It does seem different here, and I'm glad someone brought back this thread... I thought maybe it got closed! I don't think they would dare to close this thread!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:18 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It is OK because it went from ethical to political but I still wonder why some people may keep political stuff in their avatars and such a thread is closed after one day.
Perhaps we should restrict ourselves to idle chat about tribbles and gagh and ignore Kodos but that's not why I have joined this board and its high standard of discussion many people here are proud of.
I really don't see anybody becoming insulted in that topic. It transformed into a political topic, because Star Trek IS political, but it always was friendly, everyone's opinion has been accepted, everybody stayed kindly and I simply don't see any logic in closing it.

The point in creating the rule against hot topics was the problem, that some people became insulting against people of other political views. Discussing Star Trek often simply means discussing politics, because many topics of Star Trek's episodes ARE political issues.

If it went too far, why not simply move the posts about "real" politics into a separate topic and close the separate topic, but leave the Star Trek posts alive?
Old 08-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Federation Councillor

Well sadly, most political topics and such seem to typicall degrade rather rapidly.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:14 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
I really don't see anybody becoming insulted in that topic. It transformed into a political topic, because Star Trek IS political, but it always was friendly, everyone's opinion has been accepted, everybody stayed kindly and I simply don't see any logic in closing it.

The point in creating the rule against hot topics was the problem, that some people became insulting against people of other political views. Discussing Star Trek often simply means discussing politics, because many topics of Star Trek's episodes ARE political issues.

If it went too far, why not simply move the posts about "real" politics into a separate topic and close the separate topic, but leave the Star Trek posts alive?
I am with you, simple removing posts would be better but also more work-intensive. I have no problem with the "no politics" rule.
I am pissed because I wanted to start a discussion about ethical questions that were adressed in ST episodes and because of the double-standards: some folks may keep political stuff in their avatars and campaign and others may not start a discussion about Kodos the executioner and the old issue of the needs of the may and the few.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Well sadly, most political topics and such seem to typicall degrade rather rapidly.
I hope I've done better at helping to keep such topics friendlier, whereas in the past, I got a wee bit "grrr".