The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Films > Movies (I - X) > Star Trek IX: Insurrection
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Hey, Zardoz, I think KJTrek just beat me out on "kindest words spoken" about the film.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Rear Admiral

put a tribble in it.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
The "forced relocation" and "ethnic cleansing" aspects of this story were great points for Star Trek to cover.

I can't remember if I've stated this before, but just in case..... for the record, I did not find Insurrection an unenjoyable movie...it just doesn't rank very high on my Trek list.

Back to the topic....yes, "How many does it take?" is a great line for Picard. This showed the candor of the character, and his no-fear attitude in addressing a senior officer in such a manner. When it came to matters of right and wrong, rank meant nothing to Jean-Luc, and I applaud his character for that....especially considering that Picard was given the impression that the Federation Council was behind it.

Picard's faith in the Council seemed clearly shattered and thus, he removed the captain's pips from his uniform.

I also did like Riker's : "No uniform, no orders." response when Picard ordered them all to go back to their stations when he was about to leave the ship. Picard was clearly worried at that point, until Geordi clarified the group's disposition through his own personal take on the dilemma. This did show the unswerving loyalty that the crew had for Picard, as opposed to blind adherence to an Admiral, or to the perceived change in Federation policy.

Outside of the cinematic aspects I constantly refer to (and will avoid for the sake of evading the "ad nauseum" trap ) , I think one of the areas where Insurrection fell short was that we didn't really have a bad guy that most audiences could relish. The Son'a, no matter how passionately their cause seemed portrayed (especially as personified by Ru'afo and his lieutenant), probably just didn't appeal to the casual movie goer, and perhaps to many Trek fans.

In truth, I'll admit that in comparison, Shinzon's motivations in Nemesis seem rather inexplicable....and that is indeed one of the film's greatest flaws.

Respectfully,
Steve
Lovely points, Martok. Apart from the scene in the very middle and the title-giving theme we talked about, Insurrection has a lot of flaws indeed, which are less script issues but more the cinematic ones IMO.
Concerning your dislike for Work as "comic relief" character, there is probably only one scene that does not make him look cheesy: when he clashes one of those beam-tag-fly-things with his phaser rifle and says to Picard: "definitely feeling aggressive tendencies" and the Klingon theme is shortly played
I did not get either why Shinzon wanted to destroy Earth and not Romulus. One of the moments you ask yourself: "Am I dumb or is it them?"
Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Lovely points, Martok. Apart from the scene in the very middle and the title-giving theme we talked about, Insurrection has a lot of flaws indeed, which are less script issues but more the cinematic ones IMO.
Concerning your dislike for Work as "comic relief" character, there is probably only one scene that does not make him look cheesy: when he clashes one of those beam-tag-fly-things with his phaser rifle and says to Picard: "definitely feeling aggressive tendencies" and the Klingon theme is shortly played
I did not get either why Shinzon wanted to destroy Earth and not Romulus. One of the moments you ask yourself: "Am I dumb or is it them?"
Thank you, sir.

Yeah, I did get a kick out of the "definitely feeling aggressive tendencies, sir!" moment. The movie did have some good laughs, and again, they didn't seem quite as over the top as The Final Frontier.

Going to Nemesis, now here's a doozy:

Last I recall, Thomas Riker (Will Riker's twin that I forget exactly how he was created) was still left in the hands of the Cardassians, and the last we heard was that Kira Nerys gave a promise that she would find a way to get him out. Now I realize that Nerys has little to do with TNG (save that she is in the same timeline, although aboard a space station), but still.....I wonder how compelling the story would've been if Thomas Riker escaped many years of torture at the hands of the Cardassians, and sought his revenge on the Federation for forgetting about him? He probably would've made a much worthier Nemesis than Shinzon. At least Thomas would've had a proper (and back storied) motivation.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJTrek View Post
put a tribble in it.
LOL!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:26 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Hey, Zardoz, I think KJTrek just beat me out on "kindest words spoken" about the film.
I do belive you are right!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Commander

Best scene of Insurrection, that makes it worthy of being created :

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=PHEVqb...eature=related

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 08-15-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Fleet Admiral

Indeed....I'd say the best group of scenes in the film. It definitely exemplifies the belief of the crew of the Enterprise in the very thing that's the foundation of the Federation.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Thank you, sir.

Yeah, I did get a kick out of the "definitely feeling aggressive tendencies, sir!" moment. The movie did have some good laughs, and again, they didn't seem quite as over the top as The Final Frontier.

Going to Nemesis, now here's a doozy:

Last I recall, Thomas Riker (Will Riker's twin that I forget exactly how he was created) was still left in the hands of the Cardassians, and the last we heard was that Kira Nerys gave a promise that she would find a way to get him out. Now I realize that Nerys has little to do with TNG (save that she is in the same timeline, although aboard a space station), but still.....I wonder how compelling the story would've been if Thomas Riker escaped many years of torture at the hands of the Cardassians, and sought his revenge on the Federation for forgetting about him? He probably would've made a much worthier Nemesis than Shinzon. At least Thomas would've had a proper (and back storied) motivation.
I guess Frakes would have liked that, a little bit more screen time for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrekkie View Post
Best scene of Insurrection, that makes it worthy of being created :

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=PHEVqb...eature=related
I second that, Picard at his best, one can just do fast forwars afterwards
It is great because some people you talk with about this scene agree with the Admiral, that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". It makes you think how often we sacrifice other peoples lives and rights "for the greater good".
Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
It is great because some people you talk with about this scene agree with the Admiral, that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few". It makes you think how often we sacrifice other peoples lives and rights "for the greater good".
Noooooo, stop, don't make them close this topic