The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > I made a decision
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Ensign

Default I made a decision

Well, I have decided to throw my lot in with Obama. I have been a Republican most of my adult life and have voted that way with the exception of Jimmy Carter. However, I can no longer support the Republican position as it currently stands. In Texas our primaries are May 4th, I think, and I intend to vote for Obama. Hillary is way too scary for me. I also cannot understand why anyone would think that a Bush, Clinton, Bush and Clinton again dynasty is good for this country. If you have valid reasons I'd like to know! Why should two families be allowed to run the country for a quarter of a century? It makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. OK, I admit she was First Lady but that does not qualify her to be President. She also has no leadership qualities. I suppose the first time America is in real danger she is just going to sit in the oval office and "cry"? I could care less about her tears and how personal she thinks all this is. I care about a "vision" for America that is better than the one we have today and I think Obama has that vision and he believes in the "people" and not the politicians. Change begins with me and change begins with you, and if enough of us "get" what Obama is saying we can make a difference in this country.

Now, that said, let me say that even though I do not want to vote for McCain in November he will be getting my vote if it means defeating Hillary. I'm very encouraged by the advances Obama has made. In polls only a few weeks back the news media was telling us he had NO chance but now look where he is! Running neck and neck with Hillary. The Clintons do not play nice and their tactics are unscrupulous but I think Obama can overtake her. Just today it was announced that she was having to "lend" (of course expecting full restitution) $5 Million of her own money to her campaign. Obama does not have the deep pockets of Hillary but guess what? He has raised almost that much in 24 hours just from those who believe in him. Last month in 31 days his supporters raised $32 Million dollars. No big corporations like Hillary just common people like you and me!

If you have not listened to Obama and heard what he has to say then please go to barackobama.com and check out the Media section and listen to his speeches. He is one who can motivate and make you proud once again to be an American.

If you find yourself that you cannot support Hillary I would ask you to please consider donating even just $25.00 to his campaign. He needs money to pay for advertising in order to overcome Hillary. Every little bit helps!

I believe and think that Obama has what it takes to be a GREAT President. He genuinely cares for the people. He has not sold out to Washington politics and he has INTEGRITY.

If this Republican can find hope in a Democrat than I know others can also! A vote for Obama is a vote for hope and change. We can do this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsrgY...content/hqblog

Kevin
Old 02-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Ensign

Well, in 24, there were two Palmer brothers in presidency almost right after another (only Keeler and Logan were in between), and the people liked the show ... so if Hillary can be at least as good as Bill was before the people elected him to President, she really stands a good chance. However, I'm not American and I don't have enuff info to really form my opinion on someone particular in this presidency election. Meow.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eris View Post
However, I'm not American and I don't have enuff info to really form my opinion on someone particular in this presidency election. Meow.
Yea! I think you're right in that! You have no idea to what extent the Clintons will go to have power in this country. They are every bit as bad, and maybe worse, than the Bush's. I don't believe for one minute that Hillary cares about "me" and my family but I know without a doubt that Obama does. She cares about Hillary and that is all. A vote for Clinton is basically a vote to carry on the same regime we have lived under for 20 years now. It truly is time for a CHANGE like none other in American history.

Kevin
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I find it interesting that someone would use a 24 referrence in support of Hillary when it seems like the Palmers share more policy and behavior traits with Obama. I understand you're trying to counter the family dynasty argument but they were both only in office for one term each and Wayne was David's chief of staff, a position of more importance than First Lady in terms of day-to-day operations. In terms of personality I think Hillary lines up better with Keeler - willing to play traditional political games but with a reasonable amount of sober second thought. The Palmers were more idealistic and refusing to sink to the level of playing political games. Admittedly Wayne was more than willing when chief of staff but he became more like his brother when he had the office.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Should a Trek forum be used for political debates?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 02-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

hmmm. that is a hard question to answer. if it creates a rift between the members, don't. But everyone should know that everyone has their own opinions and it is not our right to change it or insult it.

just my tow cents, vote Quimby
Old 02-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
I apologize if you don't think it's appropriate but this is the "off topic" discussion area and politics is a huge issue this year in my country.

Also, politics is a huge part of Star Trek. Many political issues are taken up in a "veiled" way in Star Trek. Does that mean we should not discuss them either?

I'm not trying to start an argument but honest conversation never hurt anyone as far as I can tell. If you don't like discussing politics then avoid the discussion. It's as simple as that.

Kevin
Old 02-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC-73515 View Post
Why not? Anyone who doesn't like political threads should simply not open them.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktrek View Post
I suppose the first time America is in real danger she is just going to sit in the oval office and "cry"?

Riiiiiiite ............. because she's a woman???
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Commander

Personally, I find voting for either Obama or Hillary to be the wrong decision. One I cannot make, since I am not a Citizen.

But I will say this:

Either one of them will undoubtably raise my taxes. I don't have the reference handy, but Obama, from what I understand, actually said this openly.

I would like to see the Government live within it's means without artificially inflating those means and decreasing mine.

I would like a government that actually enforces the borders by it's own laws, while streamlining the immigration and visa processes, so that legal, trackable immigration takes place.

There are no candidates who will do this, but I firmly believe that the current Democratic candidates are not going to help matters here.

BTW, NCC-73515, I find that this forum could easily be used for political debates.

Especially since this is an "Off Topic" general discussion area.

In fact, I would argue that part of the process to bring us closer to Star Trek's future is figuring out these details, and perhaps how they could lead to us being ready for the 23rd Century.