The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > For Xbox 360....Mass Effect
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Default For Xbox 360....Mass Effect

I'm writing about a title that's actually a few months old, but I just got this thing like a week ago....and it's well worth the money.

For those of you who own an Xbox 360, and love good science fiction stories, you should get the game Mass Effect. It's made by the same folks who made Jade Empire (although I've never played that one) and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords.

Mass Effect is a third person action/adventure RPG with real-time action instead of that turn based crap.

But it's not all bang-bang shoot 'em up. There's actually exploration and diplomacy in this game as well. Things you do, or say, can shape the outcome of the game, and shape your character's disposition. (You either gravitate towards paragon, or renegade, depending on your actions, or what you say.) I figure something like this might appeal to the hardcore Trek fans here because of the very nature of the game.

You customize your main character (make it a man or a woman, adjust the physical features, and select the character's background) and then off you go. Eventually, you become the commander of a jointly Terran/Alien designed starship called the Normandy, an experimental frigate with some of the most advanced techology created for the Alliance.

There's a LOT of information about the alien races, Earth, the ships and tech, political structures, religion, history of this particular universe that you can read through, and it's pretty richly detailed.

This game is part Babylon 5 (your home base is a massive space construct called The Citadel, built by an ancient alien race called the Protheans, and it is home to many alien races with embassies, shops, council chambers, etc.) Just like Babylon 5, all manner of diplomacy, shady business dealings, commerce, and crime are hubbed through here. But your adventures are not confined to the Citadel. As I said, you eventually become commander of the Normandy, and your adventures take you across the galaxy.

Whether you disembark at a spaceport, or conduct ground missions on alien planets, you always have another two crewmates with you...sometimes they're alien, sometimes they're human. It depends on whom you select.

You gain experience, currency, and equipment as you play through your missions or conduct your dealings. If you land on an alien planet, you have the convenience of travel in the Mako, an armored and armed personnel carrier armed with a rail cannon, a chain gun, and equipped with a deflector shield. If you are in combat, you can also zoom in on your enemies with the gunsight for more accurate weapons fire placement. The vehicle also has jumpjets which lift it several feet off the ground for short bursts.

Some planets have hostile environments that can do your character and his/her party damage if they stay out in it for too long.

You and your team can leave the Mako to investigate crash debris, anomalies, buildings, etc, and recover items of import, or items that can be used in future missions.

You're constantly upgrading your weapons, armor and abilities throughout this game, just like a traditional RPG. Depending on what you pick, your character may also have "biotic" powers. (Kinda like the Force, only not "created by life".) Or you can just be a straight up soldier that doesn't use that stuff. There are a lot of possibilities.

And as I said, there's exploration and diplomacy in this game. It's almost a sandbox type game where you can do just about anything you want, go anywhere you want. Not quite as sandboxed as, say, Grand Theft Auto IV, but definitely enough to offer lots of flexibility. You can pick up side quests...do nice things for folks (or mean things if you're feeling rogue-ish enough)...deal with ambassadors and diplomats.

I can't say enough good about this title. It really has a good, rich, science fiction trapping, a great story, cool graphics, and fun action.

When I beat this game, I will go through it again, and this time, become the renegade of the galaxy.

Xbox 360 fans...this game is a must-have.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Vice Admiral

Great game Martok.
I have it on 360, but i have heard that pc version is better
Old 08-20-2008, 01:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrek79 View Post
Great game Martok.
I have it on 360, but i have heard that pc version is better
Yeah, I think the gaming mags have all said that the PC version has improvements made to it. I almost bought that version, but opted for the 360 version instead.

Right now, I've just finished a LOT of diplomatic business back at the Citadel, and rescued a chairman from a group of biotic extremists.

Although I relish the game right now as a paragon potential, I am anxious to start my next round as a ruthless renegade.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Vice Admiral

I dont exactly remember that part you are playing, but iam stuck.
I cant defeat the main villain's woman and her agents in the lab.If you are passed that, any help will be appreciated