The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Original Series > de kelley!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampris View Post
The fact that DeForest Kelley is dead is the one thing I regret most about not getting into star Trek sooner. By all accounts he was a wonderful person, and I can only imagine what it would have been like to see him on-stage or even meet him. I'll never know what it was like.

The loss to Star Trek IS huge. (And Mr. Urban has some awfully big shoes to fill...)

I know what you mean. I got into Star Trek way too late...
Old 05-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Ensign

I think Deforest Kelley gave the single best performance of any actor in any incarnation of Star Trek. His character was the human heart of Star Trek.

His performances were never showy and he never deliberately stole a scene. But his presence and his gentle charm made him Star Trek's soul. Star Trek can have new producers, new actors to play Kirk, Spock, whoever. But the toughest job in the new Star Trek will be actually be Karl Urban's!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Lieutenant

I like De Forest Kelley's acting. He did McCoy very well.

"Spock...comment"
"Very bad poetry, Captain."
"A more useful comment, Mr. Spock."

I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I have simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar. (Spock)
Old 08-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I think Deforest Kelley gave the single best performance of any actor in any incarnation of Star Trek. His character was the human heart of Star Trek.

His performances were never showy and he never deliberately stole a scene. But his presence and his gentle charm made him Star Trek's soul. Star Trek can have new producers, new actors to play Kirk, Spock, whoever. But the toughest job in the new Star Trek will be actually be Karl Urban's!
That's so true! DeForest Kelley was a terrific actor. Could you imagine anyone else playing Dr. McCoy?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

While I agree that no one will replace De in the role, I'm looking forward to seeing Urban tackle the part a great deal. I think he'll pleasantly surprise many fans.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Oh, I'm very excited about Karl Urban as McCoy...but that doesn't mean I love Kelley less! He's MY McCoy....but I understand that the future demands other McCoys.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-18-2008, 04:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocks1girl View Post
does anyone remember anything about his death.. im not sure i was even alive when it happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Seven View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeForest_Kelley

I didn't know his wife passed away in 2004.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Jackson DeForest Kelley (January 20, 1920 – June 11, 1999) was an American actor known for his starring role as Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy of the USS Enterprise in the television series Star Trek and six of its subsequent movies, as well as an elderly Admiral Dr. Leonard McCoy in the Star Trek: The Next Generation pilot, Encounter at Farpoint. Shy by his own admission, Kelley was the only cast member of the original Star Trek series program never to have written or published an autobiography.
if you're only eight or nine, i'd wonder why you're on this site.....