The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What Choice Was There?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Woulfe's Avatar
Woulfe Woulfe is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: 3rd Rock From The Sun
Posts: 8
Default

Don't forget Technobabble up the wahzoo !

God if I ever here another line of technobabble in my life it'll be too soon.

- W -
* blah *
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Ethaelmar's Avatar
Ethaelmar Ethaelmar is offline
Midshipman
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal View Post
Oh my.
Struck a nerve did we?
No, Wal, you didn't. Mine was simply a suggestion. If you are strong enough to criticize, then you must be educated and strong enough to do something about it, right?
Quote:
Because, ya'know, you, like, speak for everyone, ya'know.
Hmmm, methinks I struck the nerve.
Quote:
Ya know what? I don't have to study culinary school in France in order to dislike escargo.
You are absolutely right, and I agree with you 100%. However, those who don't like Escargot won't eat it, and those who don't like what's been done with Star Trek shouldn't watch it.

Any other wise analogies, now that you've taken my previous words out of context and decided to bash me for it?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 PM
sir num nums sir num nums is offline
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sherwood, AR
Posts: 2,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woulfe View Post
Don't forget Technobabble up the wahzoo !

God if I ever here another line of technobabble in my life it'll be too soon.

- W -
* blah *

Technobabble....

So, if I re-route the secondary power relay through the third intermix chamber of the primary communication systems, and then infuse the gel packs on decks 3 - 10 on the starboard side while tapping in to life support on Deck 15 and 16 and allow a steady flow of nutrients for 5 minutes as the warp core provides the needed heat, we should be able to make this pot of coffee.

Plan English...

Turn the coffe pot on and wait 5 minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-05-2008, 02:37 PM
wal's Avatar
wal wal is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaelmar View Post
However, those who don't like Escargot won't eat it, and those who don't like what's been done with Star Trek shouldn't watch it.
And I didn't.
And a lot of other people didn't.
And it got cancelled.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Spock2015's Avatar
Spock2015 Spock2015 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 46
Default

Quote:
Technobabble....

So, if I re-route the secondary power relay through the third intermix chamber of the primary communication systems, and then infuse the gel packs on decks 3 - 10 on the starboard side while tapping in to life support on Deck 15 and 16 and allow a steady flow of nutrients for 5 minutes as the warp core provides the needed heat, we should be able to make this pot of coffee.

Plan English...

Turn the coffe pot on and wait 5 minutes.
Lol your point is well taken.... It did seem in the later incarnations, they spent alot of time explaining a problem, especially in situations where they simply lacked the time. As I must confess, I do prefer to be precise, there are times when I find Mr. Scott's methods of explaination preferable. "Cap'n... She's gonna blow"

I like technobabble, but only in moderation. Even Spock used layman's terms.
__________________
"Because she feels... I don't... All I know is logic."
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-05-2008, 03:20 PM
jevans64's Avatar
jevans64 jevans64 is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 116
Default

Writers. This is what has me worried about this new movie. Have you noticed most of Orci and Kurtzman's work lately? They pen a lot of dialog that would appeal to the younger audience. I doubt there will be much Technobabble or any other dialog suitable for those with high IQs. I'm pretty sure they could do better but appealing to a younger crowd is what pays the bills now.

While I liked most of the BermaTrek even I couldn't stomach These Are The Voyages.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-05-2008, 03:24 PM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

"He's Dead, Jim" is about as blunt a technical term as I've heard on Star Trek.

Technological consistency is good, but it should be clear what is actually going on.

The Original Series and the movies achieved this balance nicely.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM
wedestroymyths wedestroymyths is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post
Writers. This is what has me worried about this new movie. Have you noticed most of Orci and Kurtzman's work lately? They pen a lot of dialog that would appeal to the younger audience. I doubt there will be much Technobabble or any other dialog suitable for those with high IQs. I'm pretty sure they could do better but appealing to a younger crowd is what pays the bills now.

I can see it now...the Enterprise is shaking, we hear a brief clip of that 50 Cent song that everyone uses as a ring tone, and Kirk pulls a phone from his pocket. It's a text message from Scotty:

"She gone 2 blow. g2g "

ah...those younguns.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-05-2008, 09:40 PM
_Q_'s Avatar
_Q_ _Q_ is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Q Continuum
Posts: 33
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedestroymyths View Post
I can see it now...the Enterprise is shaking, we hear a brief clip of that 50 Cent song that everyone uses as a ring tone, and Kirk pulls a phone from his pocket. It's a text message from Scotty:

"She gone 2 blow. g2g "

ah...those younguns.


That wins the internet! Man, screw my day, you just made my life.


I should probably be red-shirted for this, but I kinda want that to happen, now. I'd go and see the movie a second, third and fourth time too if that happened. lol.
__________________
Why are there six pedals if there are only four directions!?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Oregon_Coast_Trekkie's Avatar
Oregon_Coast_Trekkie Oregon_Coast_Trekkie is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,271
Default

I've been reading all these posts in here and there are so many things to address:

Change in canon - It's been said that little changes can be ok, but major changes are unjustified. The only question is when dealing with Trekkies is: What is a major change? To some, the font face on the hull is a major change, whereas I could care less about something like that. However, my lackluster attitude about the font on the hull will make me "not a real fan" of Star Trek, according to some. Heck, the fact that I like all of Trek's incarnations makes me "not a real fan" to some.

Another thing we need to remember: TOS wasn't popular during it's original tv run. In fact, if you remember, it took begging and pleading to even get a 3RD season. Even for the 60's, most people thought it was cheese. Even though I like TOS, I fully recognize it's cheesiness.

If this movie is to be successful, it can't look like 60's tv show. Sorry, but that's reality.

The big point of making movies is to make money, and JJ is going to need to make a movie that will make the most money possible and draw the widest possible audience. (If you think Gene Roddenberry wasnt trying to make moeny, you're a fool. I mean, he did pen lyrics to the shows theme in order to receive more residuals) Unfortunately, that might mean alienating the canon Nazi's. It's 2008, not 1968, times have changed, society has changed, tv and movies have changed. Star Trek needs to evolve and I think Abrams is trying to do that.

And it's true, "canon" is whatever has made it to the screen. So the Star Trek encycolpedia is NOT canon (also written so Gene could make money).
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.