The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > need sleep help
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default need sleep help

every morning, I'm woken up by my daughter around 6:30 -7:00 AM. We'll both get up (my wife and I), feed her, change her and stuff.

About an hour later, I'm overwhelmed with excessive sleepiness and crawl back into bed (when I can) and sleep until about noon or sometimes 1 PM. It's pretty disturbing that I can't shake the sleepiness and I should be able to function if I get up at 7 AM.

I looked it up but I'm prone to self-diagnosis and I get more and more convinced that I have what affliction matches the symptoms.

So far, I've come up with hypersomnia but I don't know if it's accurate.

I'd really like to be able to get up and stay up for the day so any help would be appreciated.

Oh, I should mention that I do get a full night's sleep and that it used to happen in the early nineties for some reason. It could be that my physical activity is almost next to nothing now that I'm not working and just around the house being a stay-at-home father.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Vice Admiral

Check Out This Site: www.webmd.com

Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Try counting shuttlecrafts.

Seriously, getting enough sleep is serious business. Hope you get yours..err, sleep I mean.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Vice Admiral

If you're already getting a full night sleep, it could be the no-physical-activity thing, or it could be depression. Instead of crawling back into bed, have a cup of coffee and do some low-impact exercises or yoga. Then take a cool shower and I promise you you'll be wide awake and feel better too.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Listen to jerhanner...she is wise. Don't get back into bed!

Probably your internal clock is off from the family norm and you'd be most comfortable staying up until 3am and sleeping to noon...but you don't get that luxury because you are a parent...so, you have to take action to fight your natural instincts.

I will add that it's perfectly acceptable to expect the critter who woke you to entertain you for awhile...so, once you get the little princess freshened up, do stuff with her. Sit her up and play games with her. Take her for a walk. She woke you, she should do her share to make up for it.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPQ View Post
every morning, I'm woken up by my daughter around 6:30 -7:00 AM. We'll both get up (my wife and I), feed her, change her and stuff.

About an hour later, I'm overwhelmed with excessive sleepiness and crawl back into bed (when I can) and sleep until about noon or sometimes 1 PM. It's pretty disturbing that I can't shake the sleepiness and I should be able to function if I get up at 7 AM.

I looked it up but I'm prone to self-diagnosis and I get more and more convinced that I have what affliction matches the symptoms.

So far, I've come up with hypersomnia but I don't know if it's accurate.

I'd really like to be able to get up and stay up for the day so any help would be appreciated.

Oh, I should mention that I do get a full night's sleep and that it used to happen in the early nineties for some reason. It could be that my physical activity is almost next to nothing now that I'm not working and just around the house being a stay-at-home father.
welcome to parenthood. I do the same sometimes, but in the past week I have not slept much

Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Admiral

The good news is, when they get to be in their early teens they want to sleep to 2, 3 in the faternoon....of course, they also stay up until dawn, but at least my daughter seems to understand that she doesn't get to wake us up so she uses earphones.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:49 PM
Midshipman

Another possibility could be Sleep Apnea. Ask the wife if you snore, if you do, it's a good indicator you're not getting enuf rest at night.

What happens is you start to sleep, the little opener and closer thingy in your throat closes up, you snore, or 'snarkle' in an attempt to breathe, and you wake up.

I was diagnosed over a year ago and I've been resting just fine, I've lost weight and feel pretty darn good when I get up.

HTH

Rob

Old 08-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Ensign

Its a good idea to see a Doc,...A good checkup is needed to elminate things like Diabeties/Thyriod for example.