The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > More Renakes To Be Piled On Us In The Next Few Years!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Well I haven't been 31 in some time, but I know a 20-something guy I work with you has seen every Bergman movie.

"The Apratment" was not the best Polanski movie, but Shelley Winters is gerat in it.

North By Northwest for my money isn't as good as Vertigo.

Which "Brining Up Baby" are you refering to? I know of 3 films with that title.
"Apt" was a Billy Wilder movie, but it probably would have been better if it hadn't been made in the early 60's and waited for Polanski to make it in the early 70's.

I love Polanski's "Chinatown", "it about the future Mr Gits",and "she's mine too Evelyn", and lots of other great creepy moments for John Huston!

The archtype "Bringing up Baby" is the 1930's one with Cary Grant and Hepburn. Grant has his famous line, "I guess I'm going all gay! " - and this pic was made shortly after the studio pressured him to move out of the house he shared with Randolf Scott - they were rather close it seems.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
But for decades we had original ideas and moives...but now it a remake or adaptaion of a comic.
Well, this does gloss over a film history of older sequels, serials and tons of adaptations of novels (GONE WITH THE WIND, etc. etc.).

Of course now is the era we're adapting graphic novels and comics, because this is the generation which grew up on them as an artform vs. the prior generation who grew up in the attitude that comics were pulp trash for kids.

But I'd kindly argue that adapting Frank Miller's 300 graphic novel is little different than adapting GONE WITH THE WIND -- just the storytelling is vastly different. But an adaptation of existing material is no more or less original from one source to the next. In fact, I'll bet you a lot more new, original material had to be created to turn 300 into a feature film than for GWTW.

How many remakes have been made of CLEOPATRA, or BEN HUR, various biblical stories? I'll agree the ratio may well have increased in today's marketplace, but let's not say that remakes and sequels and adaptations are a new trend today either.

In any case: as noted there are plenty of original films released, so if you want to see more of them tomorrow... go see more of them today. On the other hand, put $500 million in WB's pocket for THE DARK KNIGHT, and it's hard to argue with WB greenlighting a third Batfilm. They're just following demand, and dollars are ballots in that race.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-08-2008, 02:49 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Well, this does gloss over a film history of older sequels, serials and tons of adaptations of novels (GONE WITH THE WIND, etc. etc.).

Of course now is the era we're adapting graphic novels and comics, because this is the generation which grew up on them as an artform vs. the prior generation who grew up in the attitude that comics were pulp trash for kids.

But I'd kindly argue that adapting Frank Miller's 300 graphic novel is little different than adapting GONE WITH THE WIND -- just the storytelling is vastly different. But an adaptation of existing material is no more or less original from one source to the next. In fact, I'll bet you a lot more new, original material had to be created to turn 300 into a feature film than for GWTW.

How many remakes have been made of CLEOPATRA, or BEN HUR, various biblical stories? I'll agree the ratio may well have increased in today's marketplace, but let's not say that remakes and sequels and adaptations are a new trend today either.

In any case: as noted there are plenty of original films released, so if you want to see more of them tomorrow... go see more of them today. On the other hand, put $500 million in WB's pocket for THE DARK KNIGHT, and it's hard to argue with WB greenlighting a third Batfilm. They're just following demand, and dollars are ballots in that race.
I don't disagree, but look at the 50's-80's, lots of original ideas in film, and yes novels and Biblical epics came to the screen too. But compare that with the last 15 years in Anerican cinema.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:54 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusapartner View Post
"Apt" was a Billy Wilder movie, but it probably would have been better if it hadn't been made in the early 60's and waited for Polanski to make it in the early 70's.

The Apartment starred Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine - it was a dark comedy. I couldn't find any other movie with that title on IMDB. Either way, it doesn't need to be remade. It would be VERY dated by now.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
The Apartment starred Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine - it was a dark comedy. I couldn't find any other movie with that title on IMDB. Either way, it doesn't need to be remade. It would be VERY dated by now.
You forgot the clasic "Party At Jerhanner's Apartment."
Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Fleet Admiral

I'll agree that THE APARTMENT doesn't need to be remade because it's a classic on its own -- all due to the writing and performances, which can't be duplicated.

I can't even imagine Polanski wanting to make THE APARTMENT, not to mention he'd have made it in a totally wrong decade for the story.

As for the 50s-60s, I seem to recall that many of the standout films were also based on Broadway musicals -- more adaptations. Point is, you'd find a ton of non-original films in ANY recent decade... one of the reasons why the Academy created the 'Best Writing, Adapted' category for Oscars... in 1920.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I'll agree that THE APARTMENT doesn't need to be remade because it's a classic on its own -- all due to the writing and performances, which can't be duplicated.

I can't even imagine Polanski wanting to make THE APARTMENT, not to mention he'd have made it in a totally wrong decade for the story.

As for the 50s-60s, I seem to recall that many of the standout films were also based on Broadway musicals -- more adaptations. Point is, you'd find a ton of non-original films in ANY recent decade... one of the reasons why the Academy created the 'Best Writing, Adapted' category for Oscars... in 1920.
I agree, so let's encurage Hollywood that we want more original films.

What's next..

Hong Kong Phooey-The Movie
The Baretta Movie
My Mother The Car-The Next Genration??