The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Your response to a (speculative) reboot
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How would you respond to a major timeline shift for Trek 11?
Forget the movie happened and strike it from Trek canon a la 'Threshold' from VOY 10 27.78%
Accept the change as Trek heads in a new direction 26 72.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Midshipman

You know, i m not really a fan of those rebooted films. Just mention Batman Begins and all the other ones. It seems that no one has the courage to create new stories after Nemesis. This is a phenomenon i dont like. It would be cool to maybe create a totally new crew in the future. Nevertheless i m a big star trek fan and i m looking forward to XI, just to know how the film is and what it is about, but i would like actions after Nemesis.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

As Picard once said:
"Let's see what's out there..."
Trek finally gets to wear a new set of clothes and we should support the franchise if we want to see it again. Given the trailer, anything is possible and the doors of Trek lore are once again, open
Old 02-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantMikey View Post
  • I'd love to see them maintain the existing continuity, and just fill in the gaps. It was a five year mission, and the original series was canceled after only three seasons. Then TMP showed up years after their mission was completed; Kirk had been promoted to Admiral, Spock was off on Vulcan, McCoy was retired (I think), and that whiney idiot Decker was going to be Captain of the Enterprise. There's tons of material yet to explore. The problem with trying to shoehorn new movies into existing historical canon is that you have to be very careful that you don't inadvertently contradict any of the canon that covers time that has gone on before (that is, the canon established by movies and series that cover the future time frame). You don't want to create a time paradox in the canon!
  • On the other hand, it'd be nice to see a re-imagining of the universe. A fresh perspective on the Trekverse from new eyes. From a purely selfish point of view, what would the universe look like if it was more industrialized, not so squeaky clean, if there was more danger, more intrigue, bigger battles, and so forth? What if the technology were more advanced, more aliens were actually present on the ship, and the interpersonal conflicts were more pronounced? What if the issues that were addressed were more relevant to our times? And what if the stories were freed from the baggage of forty+ years of historical canon so that they could go in any direction that the writers needed to take them in? Oh, the possibilities!
The question I have with your second thought is if they are re-imagining Trek, then why are they going to do so with the same core characters of TOS? We already love these characters and are so enriched in their history and adventures it just is a major letdown if they rewrite their story. Again, it depends on what the movie will look like, but I don't want to see a new cast redoing 40+ years of scripts.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready Room View Post
As Picard once said:
"Let's see what's out there..."
Trek finally gets to wear a new set of clothes and we should support the franchise if we want to see it again. Given the trailer, anything is possible and the doors of Trek lore are once again, open
Absolutely, despite all my concerns, I am ultimately thrilled to have new Trek again and hope it carries us into the future.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Commander

I'm up for a reboot, and if there are changes, I'm not going to fret about it.

However, it might be a good idea to give an example of what the poster of this thread thinks of as a "major change." You're dealing with Trekkies here. At Trekmovie.com, you had people calling for Abram's head because the font on the hull was different. Is font change major or minor? Please clarify...
Old 02-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
I'm up for a reboot, and if there are changes, I'm not going to fret about it.

However, it might be a good idea to give an example of what the poster of this thread thinks of as a "major change." You're dealing with Trekkies here. At Trekmovie.com, you had people calling for Abram's head because the font on the hull was different. Is font change major or minor? Please clarify...
Non-aestetic changes, really. But my original post is generally referring to a plot change in terms of a reboot or serious continuity error/change.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Ensign

I think there should be a third option:
  • Consider the new timeline a divergent reality/universe that doesn't preclude the continued existence of the current one.

And that would be my vote - if it were an option.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
It needs it, plus its not really a reboot, more a alternate universe
An alternate universe or timeline is not a bad idea, it would open up all kinds of new stories.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

There really isn't any other reason to have a rumored story like this unless you want to end timeline A ( existing Trek ) and continue on with a timeline B ( Abrams Trek ).
Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Captain

Not sure how you think we don't know if there will be a major change. The subject has been addressed and we have been assured that it will not.