The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Your response to a (speculative) reboot
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How would you respond to a major timeline shift for Trek 11?
Forget the movie happened and strike it from Trek canon a la 'Threshold' from VOY 10 27.78%
Accept the change as Trek heads in a new direction 26 72.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Default Your response to a (speculative) reboot

Now I realize that we do not know the basic premise of the movie yet, but if major canonical violations are made or there is a major change in the timeline as we know it or the new movie brings about some sort of alternate reality be it through time travel or irreverance to canon, what will your thoughts be? Remember, I am talking in terms of some sort of major change in our Trek universe and I have faith this will not happen, but at this point we don't know...

I would have to wait and see as most of us would, but I'm just looking for initial reactions.

Last edited by Pxer : 02-04-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Lieutenant

If the movie has a good story and stands on it's own merits while keeping the 'spirit' of Trek, it'll work for me.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Lieutenant

Do I think Abrams is going to change the Trek timeline as we know it? No, but can he have an interesting movie that involves time travel, alternative timelines, and a happy ending that we all will enjoy? Yes.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I don t get the whole reboot idea wasnt that what Enterprise was suppost to do.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Lieutenant

It needs it, plus its not really a reboot, more a alternate universe

HardyCofE
Old 02-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yeah, maybe the word Retcon will better apply to the film as we begin to learn more.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Midshipman

I hope the new movie won't create a timeline A (containing all of Trek until now and the beginning of Star Trek) and timeline B (created at the end of Star Trek). I don't mind alternate timelines as long as at the movie's end the original timeline is restored. There's so many gaps in the present timeline that holds a huge amount of opportunities of being explored that I don't see why a new timeline needs to be created.

Last edited by CaptainMackenzieCalhoun : 02-04-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Ensign

I think I will have to see the movie first before I can sufficiently describe how I will feel if it is a total reboot.

In general, I have no problem whatsoever with the direction Abrams is taking this movie. I am willing to give him, Orci and Kurtzman a chance to "do their thing".

I also look forward to seeing how this group of actors portrays the characters.

Characters from various genres are portrayed by different people in different ways all the time. As much as I sometimes dislike change, sometimes change isn't always bad. So, we will see how this all turns out...whatever they are calling it these days (i.e. reboot, re-imaging, quazi-something or another).
Old 02-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
It needs it, plus its not really a reboot, more a alternate universe
Actually, an alternate universe can be seen as a reboot!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:00 PM
Ensign

Default Not really sure

I'm of two minds about a reboot.
  • I'd love to see them maintain the existing continuity, and just fill in the gaps. It was a five year mission, and the original series was canceled after only three seasons. Then TMP showed up years after their mission was completed; Kirk had been promoted to Admiral, Spock was off on Vulcan, McCoy was retired (I think), and that whiney idiot Decker was going to be Captain of the Enterprise. There's tons of material yet to explore. The problem with trying to shoehorn new movies into existing historical canon is that you have to be very careful that you don't inadvertently contradict any of the canon that covers time that has gone on before (that is, the canon established by movies and series that cover the future time frame). You don't want to create a time paradox in the canon!
  • On the other hand, it'd be nice to see a re-imagining of the universe. A fresh perspective on the Trekverse from new eyes. From a purely selfish point of view, what would the universe look like if it was more industrialized, not so squeaky clean, if there was more danger, more intrigue, bigger battles, and so forth? What if the technology were more advanced, more aliens were actually present on the ship, and the interpersonal conflicts were more pronounced? What if the issues that were addressed were more relevant to our times? And what if the stories were freed from the baggage of forty+ years of historical canon so that they could go in any direction that the writers needed to take them in? Oh, the possibilities!
The danger, of course, is that if you change it too much, it's not Trek anymore. You'd have to be extremely careful to maintain the integrity of the characters and the ship itself.
So I don't know what I'd prefer. I'd like to know what happened during all those missing years. On the other hand, I'd like to give the writers all the freedom they need. I just don't know.