The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What Choice Was There?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiii View Post
Since I've never actually seen it, I cant comment on the shows content, but I think I recall hearing that there was threat of cancellation of BSG several times. Is it still running or has it been cancelled? Even if it was only threats...that's not a shining example of how "reboot syndrome" helps a fanchise.
BSG is still runing, and it's final season is scheduled to be shown either at the end of March or the beginning of April.

There are always rumors of this or that. I take them with a pinch of salt.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Ensign

It is a risk rebooting the franchise, I would agree, however, I am sure all of you could think of a series or franchise that failed, but could have thrived had risks been taken...

As one former captain of the Enterprise maintained... "Risk is part of the game, if you want to sit in that chair" In this case, the Director's chair.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Ensign

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfleet Officer View Post
I don't want a reboot/remake but a 're-energizing' of the franchise
Same here. I just want it to rock the whole freaking world. AND IT WILL.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyplop View Post
IMO- Trek was done and it was undone by Berman and his systematic approach to breaking down the basic laws of the Trek universe. This has been debated over and over and I feel he peaked with DS9 and dived with subsequent incarnations.
I always thought that Berman had very little to do with DS9??? Hince, why I thought it was so good!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyplop View Post
IMO- Trek was done and it was undone by Berman and his systematic approach to breaking down the basic laws of the Trek universe. This has been debated over and over and I feel he peaked with DS9 and dived with subsequent incarnations. Enterprise had glimpses of where Trek could have gone if the production team had the bravery and backing to do it but we know where that ended up.

Cancellation.

BSG showed that a re-boot/re-imagine was possible if done well - so why would this not work for Trek?

Here's the heresy part of my hypothesis - this movie will be a genesis moment for Trek - it's a chance to bury the baggage that Trek carries and invigorate the fan base while bringing in new friends. If it means losing a few fans who can't cope then fair enough but this is going to be a massive mainstream cinema event and the success this could bring will re-invent the franchise.

Is JJ the 'Great Bird of the Galaxy' for the 21st century?

He could just be......
Ya know, B & B are responsible for Trek to be sure... but lets not forget the writers who actually wrote the crap. Yes, those guys in teh picket lines right now wanting more compensation.

As for BSG's popularity and success... BSG isn't good because it was a re-boot, it's good in spite of being a re-boot.

Regardless of the concept, it all starts at the word processor, or the pen and paper. If BSG was poorly written then it would have tanked- again, not because it was a reboot but regardless of its re-invention.

Nemesis would have been better if it was written better.
Same goes for Insurrection.
And Enterprise.
And Voyager.

If the other titles had of been done well, then there would be no cause for re-invention... especially if the re-invention was as poorly done as the cancelled original.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Ensign

I just want DS9 back
Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Midshipman

Everyone wants to bash these shows, such as Nemesis, Insurrection, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, but when you look at each of them as a separate entertainment experience rather than a small part of the whole of the Star Trek universe, I feel they're really quite well done.

What's funny to me is that people across the internet -and I'm sure this started as a fad- want to bash Berman for screwing up Star Trek, but I have to say that's awefully dog gone short-sighted. Why was Berman involved in TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, and nearly every one of the movies if Gene felt he wasn't good enough to do the job.

Give me a list of what Berman did that was ACTUALLY wrong, not functionally, but how he ruined Star Trek? Didn't he expand, like Mr. Abrams is perhaps attempting to, the Star Trek universe out of the monster-of-the-week syndrome and into more sensible Captains and crew who were not, necessarily, invincible and used their brains to solve problems rather than, "Uggh, tuk tuk, me Kirk, you target!"?

I don't know the other half of B&B, but what did these people do that made them unsuccessful, ignorant, or so totally wrong in your eyes that is indefensible?
Old 02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
I don't know the other half of B&B, but what did these people do that made them unsuccessful, ignorant, or so totally wrong in your eyes that is indefensible?
Weak characters, weak dialogue and wishy-washy plots.

Like I said- don't leave the writers out of the equation.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Midshipman

Okay, then, go do it better. Can you? If not, then please explore why you are complaining about it?

Frankly, I think all you said was poppycock, Wal. I enjoyed the character's, the plots, the stories, and took them for their individuality rather than lumping them under crap.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaelmar View Post
Okay, then, go do it better. Can you? If not, then please explore why you are complaining about it?
Oh my.
Struck a nerve did we?
Here... allow me to elaborate:

A) Weak characters,
B) Weak dialogue
and
C) Wishy-washy plots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaelmar View Post
Frankly, I think all you said was poppycock, Wal. I enjoyed the character's, the plots, the stories, and took them for their individuality rather than lumping them under crap.
Because, ya'know, you, like, speak for everyone, ya'know.

Ya know what? I don't have to study culinary school in France in order to dislike escargo.