The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What Choice Was There?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Midshipman

From what I've read of JJ and his attitudes/opinions/feelings etc., he seems to be pouring his heart and soul into this.......so at the very worst, I can see this 'reboot' or whatever you want to call it performing on the same level as maybe Generations or Insurrection......in other words, there is no way in hell this can turn into a Berman-sized flop.

At the best, this will thoroughly outdo First Contact and hang up there with The Wrath of Khan (in which I hope people will compare JJ to Nick Meyer! )
Old 02-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaelmar View Post
if this movie begins the introduction of some new ideas no one's thought of before, but also that fit within the definitions of the franchise, I'm all for it.
This is a great point. In fact, if Star Trek doesn't introduce new ideas and concepts but, rather, only focuses on hitting well-established notes of the past, then it is setting itself up for failure.

However, I think we're going to be in for a lot of surprises.

As for canon and the franchise's "definitions," I don't mind if they stretch things a bit as long as it makes logical sense within the context of the story they're trying to tell.

Besides, with TOS there's still a lot of gray area that could be filled in. I think a lot of fans (and I don't mean you, Ethaelmar) take the Star Trek Encyclopedia and the Star Trek Chronology to be canon. While they are both fine works, they also contain a lot of conjecture, particularly about Kirk and co.

As long as we allow them some literary license, there's plenty of room for J.J. Abrams and his team to tell new, exciting stories in this timeframe and keep the franchise moving forward.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:01 AM
Rear Admiral

Good point... and remember, it's just a sci-fi series, not an autobiography.

lol I get what you are saying, and even though thanks to the go-tards at st.com forum, the word CANON now makes my eye twitch, I agree just remember what was already done and not making huge mistakes would be nice.

Kirk was born in North Dakota right? Sounds good, go with it. ....things like that.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
Well, BSG was a reboot in form of a mini series that did very well. Then a weekly show was created based off of the mini series, and did great for about 2 seasons. At some point they lost focus, and nearly lost their viewers, and muddled through season 3. Now this March will start season 4, the final season.

So, BSG is it's own good example of how a restart can work, and fail if the focus is lost.

but, ST:11 is not a reboot.
See there I disagree with that, it is not a total reboot but it is a kick up the arse for the franchise. A breath of fresh air from JJ, something I think it sorely needs. I can only hope that it works.

HardyCofE
Old 02-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Rear Admiral

I'm confused... I did not say it was a reboot or a total reboot.

But, I AGREE with what you say though my Green Power Ranger Mortal Kombat fighting Jem Hadar friend
Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 AM
Midshipman

Call it what you like but I've a feeling what's coming will have a feel and quality UNLIKE anything we've seen since ST:TMP hit the big screen. The difference between the 60's TV show and what was put up on the silver screen by Robert Wise was tangiable - what you've seen up to now compared to what Abrams is doing will be a similar leap forward. Otherwise what's the point? He knows this.

For those of you with short memories - the hype around the TMP movie was huge. The hype around this will be BIGGER and it's beginning now.

Which Star Trek film has had this level of marketing and hype around it a year before it came out? Websites - cryptic shots of corridors - obtuse angles of the ship being built - and pages on another site debating a blurred camera phone image of a bridge console.

Too many Star Trek fans think Star Trek is their dirty little secret but this film - IMO - is going to change all that. Get with the program or get out of the way..!!

HUGE I TELL YOU - HUGE...!!

Last edited by qwertyplop : 02-04-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyplop View Post
Too many Star Trek fans think Star Trek is their dirty little secret but this film - IMO - is going to change all that. Get with the program or get out of the way..!!
But, but, but, I NEED my dirty little secret... my Trek... ALLL MIINNNNNNEEEEE... muwahahahhahaha.

In all seriousness, can we please stop the canon-lover bashing? Everyone has their right to be involved in their own little way they find appealing to their sense and sensibility. Though I agree they can sometimes be overzealous, it is as much out of their love for Trek as what each of us does. To sit here and bash them is going to make them feel left out, unwanted, and then we won't get the opinions from the fringeworthy folks for their feelings, concerns, desires, and all of us may miss out on a point that would sorely need to be remembered.

All of that being said, from what I've read across the internet, I think Mr. Abrams and crew will do just fine, and what we'll see in December will be, at least, able to be added to the overall Star Trek encyclopedia. In fact, from what I've read, I wouldn't doubt that this Trek will have the biggest opening weekend since Science Fiction, as a genre, hit the big screen.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaelmar View Post
But, but, but, I NEED my dirty little secret... my Trek... ALLL MIINNNNNNEEEEE... muwahahahhahaha.

In all seriousness, can we please stop the canon-lover bashing? Everyone has their right to be involved in their own little way they find appealing to their sense and sensibility. Though I agree they can sometimes be overzealous, it is as much out of their love for Trek as what each of us does. To sit here and bash them is going to make them feel left out, unwanted, and then we won't get the opinions from the fringeworthy folks for their feelings, concerns, desires, and all of us may miss out on a point that would sorely need to be remembered.

All of that being said, from what I've read across the internet, I think Mr. Abrams and crew will do just fine, and what we'll see in December will be, at least, able to be added to the overall Star Trek encyclopedia. In fact, from what I've read, I wouldn't doubt that this Trek will have the biggest opening weekend since Science Fiction, as a genre, hit the big screen.
Definately not bashing canon.

But these folks have held Trek back IMO - they are the most vocal and insist that whatever their vision of Trek is - it is this that must be laid down and filmed.

Trek at it's best is forward thinking and broad in scope - I sometimes see these fans as the fundamentalist side of Trek dogma and that unless it conforms to whatever they think Gene was getting at - it's not Trek.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Rear Admiral

I agree...

There are those that live by Trek everyday, which is fine.

But... People do have to stop and remember it is all fantasy, and wearing your Starfleet uniform everyday is just a little freaky ok...

It's like those people that get hooked on WoW and play for days and days thinking THEY must save everything. While in the real world they are fired from their job, their wife left them weeks ago, and they have not showered, used the bathroom or eaten in days.

WAKE UP!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
But... People do have to stop and remember it is all fantasy...
Well, the people and the ships, yes those are fantasy. However, there are a lot of advances taking place, and Star Trek is, indeed, becoming a reality, bit by bit. The stories of Trek have almost always been based off happenstance in the real world.

In my opinion, all of this works together to justify the way some people feel so extraordinarily strongly about Trek. However, I do agree that playing games, or doing anything, to excess, is not good for a person, even when the thing being done to excess is supposed to be toward an individual's good.

I have a 3rd season Next Generation uniform top I purchased in Ansbach, Germany, and it's wrapped in plastic, has my one rank pip on it, and my communicator pin is here in my desk drawer -too heavy to leave on the uniform, lest the fabric is stretched-; however, I've not worn that uniform top in nearly ten years, no longer have pants or boots to go with it, and I'm uncertain I'll wear that top again until I have money to go to a convention.