The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > German Teaser Trailer
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 03:21 AM
Midshipman

The "coming soon" bit in the German teaser was a bit too much for me. For shame, misleading people like that.... *sigh*

Boxing Day is *not* coming soon.

But I don't mind the dubbed voice-over. It wasn't the same thing, but it was cool. I'll see the original version anyway, as I'll be working in England by then.

And seeing the Ent on the big screen was so much cooler than on the computer. I could really feel the vibe this time.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
That's why I stick to the english audio when watching DVDs
Me too!

And I will watch the movie in english, too!

But anyway, I heard Orci say, that the trailers in the different countries would have a "Bezug" (damn, what was the word....reference, of course!!!) to their own history and stuff like that, because many people complaint, that the trailer was to much based on american history - and Star Trek should be an international movie.

Does anyone know sth. about that?
Old 02-03-2008, 06:49 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef* View Post
I'm stuck with the original voices of the actors and don't care for the german voices. I hope I will get a theater which shows the original here in Germany.
Yeah, I always go to frankfurt, they show all movies in the original version!
Old 02-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Ensign

Hab grad den Link mir angeguckt (sry, that I am not speaking english, I am too lazy right now...), find ich ja schon lustig (und eigentlich gut), dass die ausgerechnet für den größten Nicht-englischen Markt den Trailer nur am Ende übersetzen, und für die Fanzmänner, Spanier, etc. extra alles auf frz, spanisch, etc. machen....
Old 02-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Ensign

Quote:
find ich ja schon lustig (und eigentlich gut), dass die ausgerechnet für den größten Nicht-englischen Markt den Trailer nur am Ende übersetzen, und für die Fanzmänner, Spanier, etc. extra alles auf frz, spanisch, etc. machen....
I was really interested in what quotes they would have choosen for the trailer. And now I'm a bit disappointed, that they didn't really change anything. That makes us somewhat less important than the other countries... especially if we are really the biggest non- english- speaking market, I would have expected something better than translating one sentence.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saavik View Post
I was really interested in what quotes they would have choosen for the trailer. And now I'm a bit disappointed, that they didn't really change anything. That makes us somewhat less important than the other countries... especially if we are really the biggest non- english- speaking market, I would have expected something better than translating one sentence.
I don't see why that makes Germany seem less important. As far as I know Russia is the only country that got totally different quotes. All the other countries just got the trailer translated. Why the German one has just one sentence translated? IMHO this presents Germany in a rather POSITIVE light; as a country where many people are well-versed in the English language. And really; would you have want them to translate something iconic like Kennedy's speech? That'd just sound strange ...
Beyond the rim of the starlight | My love is wandring in star flight | I know he'll find | In star clustered reaches | Love, strange love | A starwoman teaches | I know his journey ends never | His Star Trek will go on forever | But tell him while | He wanders his starry sea | Remember | Remember me
Old 02-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Ensign

Quote:
All the other countries just got the trailer translated.
I'm happy, that they finally realize, that our English is good enough to understand it. And I of course don't want those speeches to be translated. But: According to the comments on trekmovie.com there were a several other languages that got other quotes... and not only a translation of the original speeches. And that's what's bothering me: The trailer is US- related, not Country- related like the other trailers... It's as if they put less effort in adapting it. That the trailer is more in English than in German doesn't bother me.

Last edited by Saavik : 02-03-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saavik View Post
I'm happy, that they finally realize, that our English is good enough to understand it. And I of course don't want those speeches to be translated. But: According to the comments on trekmovie.com there were a several other languages that got other quotes... and not only a translation of the original speeches. And that's what's bothering me: The trailer is US- related, not Country- related like the other trailers... It's as if they put less effort in adapting it. That the trailer is more in English than in German doesn't bother me.
No, this is not true:

From TrekMovie.com

Quote:
The trailers are fundamentally the same with the audio translated into local languages. This means that the original clips from NASA in the 60s along with Nimoy’s “space the final frontier” are in the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand versions. However, the Spanish, Italian, French, German and Russian versions all have the titles and the audio in the local languages. At least in the case of the Russian, it appears that the NASA clips have been replaced with those from Russia’s space history.
Beyond the rim of the starlight | My love is wandring in star flight | I know he'll find | In star clustered reaches | Love, strange love | A starwoman teaches | I know his journey ends never | His Star Trek will go on forever | But tell him while | He wanders his starry sea | Remember | Remember me
Old 02-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Ensign

@ Fidelo1985: Du sagtest das in Frankfurt die Orignalversion gezeigt wird!
Das wäre ja echt klasse da ich Weihnachten sowieso in Frankfurt/Bad Homburg verbringen wollte. Kannst du mir dann bitte auch noch sagen in welchem Kinos das wäre, das wäre echt sehr nett!!!
So now back to english:
I've no problems with the fact that the speeches in the trailer are only translated into German. I'm glad that they finaly realized that not everybody in Germany could understand English as well as German.
The movie is produced in the Staates so its logical that the speeches and quots are out of their history!
If the movie were produced in Germany we would also speeches of our own history.
So I don't see a problem in that!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:13 AM
Ensign

That's just so typical for Germany.

First they don't bother going into the archives and tring to find some speeches from Einstein, Reiter, von Braun etc. and second they don't want to specify the release date.

Just to remind my German friends in the forum: Remember how the Nemesis Release was postponed in Germany a week before because of dubbing-issues?

And still they didn't manage to get the damn thing onto the German teaser site. What the frak is Paramount thinking? This is supposed to be the second largest market for Trek and they are doing things sloppy AGAIN.

TrekWar (International), Star Trek: The Journey (German)