The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > video conversion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Lieutenant Commander

ummm, "no compression" (?)

Han shot first
Even numbered Star Trek movies are better
HAL dosed Bowman
Old 05-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Uncompressed AVI can become quite large. When I was editing the Trek XI teaser, I kept an uncompressed version of it on my hard drive in 1920x800 at a 32bit colour depth. In total, the 1m, 14s clip took up about 13.8GB.

Uncompressed will work well enough for editing in some apps assuming you've got the disk space to spare, but probably not Windows Movie Maker. I'm not too familiar with hte program they recommended, however, I'm sure it must be able to convert to DV-AVI. That might have a seperate listing, or it might be somewhere under the AVI option in a section where you can choose the type of compression you want to use.

Vegas Movie Studio or Vegas Movie Studio Platinum are good consumer-level editing programs.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron : 05-20-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I use the Cinepak Codec by Radius; works fine with MM2, and gives a good final quality on my animations.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Check this out...see if it looks good.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:01 PM
Commander

I find Cinepak to be an ok codec when working with AVI but if you really want the most brought out in your picture quality H264 or H263 are of course the best ways to go,,even for SD footage....of course these codecs can be rather demanding on a system and are not AVI codecs...personally I think if you have a camera that only exports to MOV I would get software that works with the MOV format..too many conversions will give you unnecessary quality loss, and windows movie maker is not exactly the most comprehensive tool for video editing. Depending on what your doing it may be easier to invest in a program that operates with the format your camera is using.

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoskal View Post
...Depending on what your doing it may be easier to invest in a program that operates with the format your camera is using.
Judging from the initial post, I think 'free' is the operative word here...

(*Grin*)

(P.S. MPQ: If you are still having problems, PM me, and I'll give you my e-mail; I can convert your files for you post-haste until you work out your own conversion system...)

Old 05-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post
Judging from the initial post, I think 'free' is the operative word here...

(*Grin*)

(P.S. MPQ: If you are still having problems, PM me, and I'll give you my e-mail; I can convert your files for you post-haste until you work out your own conversion system...)
As much as I enjoy FREE stuff, I'm just saying the free option is not always the best option. Especially if your going through three or four conversions to get to your final product....MOV to AVI to DVD lets say. If you can do it for free great! but you have to weigh your choices.

-Free Enterprise
Old 05-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Federation Councillor

Pinnicle has been good to me for DVD authoring.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Fleet Admiral

I use a proggie I downloaded called "Total Video Converter". It is a program that has a trial period of (IIRC) about 45 days. After that, you have to buy it to continue usage. During the trial period, any videos you convert will have a small watermark embedded in the video. It wasn't expensive to buy though. (I think, around $40.) After purchase, watermarks will not appear in any future videos/audios you convert.

Now THIS program will actually convert just about anything you can think of into anything else.

It will even convert .flv files (YouTube and the like) and .gif files into actual, edit-capable video files (and vice versa). It will also extract audio from video sources, and convert them to mp3, ac3, ogg, wav, acc.

It will allow you to convert videos for PC, PSP, iPod, cellphone, Zune, PMP, PDA, etc. Also it has burning tools for DVD/SVCD/VCD, and Audio CD.

It will support reading the following formats:

VIDEO: Real Video, mpg4, 3Gp, 3g2, Mpeg1, Mpeg 2 PS, Mpeg2 TS, Ms ASF, Ms AVI, Macromedia Flash (.flv), Apple Quicktime, FLIC, Gif, DV, Matroska, ogm, and formats that Dx9 Directshow can open.

AUDIO: AAC, Audio CD, MP2, MP3, Ms WAV, Ms WMA, Real Audio, OGG, Amr audio, AC3, SUN AU format, FLAC, Macromedia Flash embedded audio (.swf), and audio formats that Dx9 Directshow can run.

It will also read certain videogame formats:

Technologies format (.4xm), Playstation STR, Id RoQ as in Quake III, Jedi Knight 2, and some other games, Interplay's format for some computer games, the multimedia format in Wing Commander III, Sega FILM/CPK used in Sega Saturn format games, Westwood Studios games formats VQA/AUD, .cin files in Quake II, Sierra VMD, .sol Sierra Online files, Electronic Arts Multimedia Matroska, EA games that use WVE and UV2 extensions, and the Nullsoft Video format.

It will GENERATE the following file formats:

MP4, 3gp, 3g2, Game PSP, iPod video, mpg, NTSC/PAL DVD mpeg, NTSC/PAL SVCD mpeg, NTSC/PAL VCD mpeg, Ms Mpeg4 avi, DivX avi, Xvid avi, H264 avi, Mjpeg avi, HuffYUV avi, .swf video, .flv video, .gif animations, mpeg 4 mov (.mov), Apple Quicktime, Flic format, DV, ASF, Ericsson mobile, KODAK DC, Samsung L55W, Casio Z600, and WMV for Zune and Xbox 360.

It will GENERATE the following audio formats:

mp2, mp3, WAV, WMA, OGG, Amr Audio, Amr-WB, AC3, Sun AU, MP4 audio, AAC, FLAC, Audio CD, MMF.

Yeah, this thing is pretty versatile.

Now, I also have a consumer level movie editor, Magix Movie Edit Pro 10 (and I ended up getting MEP 12 as well).

Movie Edit Pro will generate many types of formats. It won't read .flv, or animated .gif files, nor will it generate them, but it is still very powerful. It also has chroma-keying (bluescreen, greenscreen, blackscreen, whitescreen, and Alpha capabilities.) It comes with tons of tools for easy editing, and I use it religiously. (You can even create those opening text crawls just like in Star Wars, which I'm sure many commercial movie editors can do now.) I could go on and on about what all MEP10 and MEP 12 could do. Now, if I could just afford Adobe After Effects, I would have the capabilities to generate all the kinds of visual FX I want.

If I may wax tangential for just a moment:

I do mini Visual FX movies. They're not Lucasfilm quality, but they are really fun to make (albeit time consuming). I use a combination of PhotoShop, ImageReady, and MEP10 or 12.

If you'd like to see what I've done, this is my most ambitious mini movie to date (like I said, it ain't Lucasfilm quality, but lots of folks really liked it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7zG8-ZbB12c

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old 05-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPQ View Post
My camera only takes .qt or .MOV video and my computer's movie maker can't read.

Are there any good free video converters out there?
Just do a google for Quicktime Alternative.. it is a Codec that plugs into Windows Media Player that allows Media Player to play MOV and QT files

Get the Lite package that does not have Media Player 6 in it (Media player 6 interferes with Media Player 9 and higher)

Once you have Quicktime Alternative installed, Windows Movie Maker will be able to convert the movie without a problem.