The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Guns!!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
You are right about the majority of people, what you said applies but I have a friend who does driving tests for the Ontario government and he has told me some interesting stories of people he obviously didn't pass because they where really dangerous behind the wheel. Some of these folks where on their 6th or more attempts. They can't legally stop people from trying over and over again but at least they can refuse to license them. I'm know I'm glad my buddy is there to stop those folks after the stories he told me.
That is funny. Some people are just not good drivers, or gun owners.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Vice Admiral

I wanted to bring this thread back into "the daylight". I hope Pestulance reads this entire thread. I must be one of the most "conservatives" on this board when it comes to this subject.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

I'll listen to the "it's in the Constitution" argument for unregulated gun ownership the day the same people touting it stop raping the Constitution. Simple as that.

Nutcase hawk republicans will gut the document when it suits them, (when they get to torture people, or tap their phones) but suddenly, when you ask that people be required to learn responsible gun ownership, the squeal like stuck pigs!

Hypocrites!

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post
I'll listen to the "it's in the Constitution" argument for unregulated gun ownership the day the same people touting it stop raping the Constitution. Simple as that.

Nutcase hawk republicans will gut the document when it suits them, (when they get to torture people, or tap their phones) but suddenly, when you ask that people be required to learn responsible gun ownership, the squeal like stuck pigs!

Hypocrites!
I know what you mean. When I was 18 I registered as a Republican. Over the years I became more and more of an Independant. I am for responsible gun ownership. I think I went over that alot in this thread. I just hate when people blame guns and NOT the criminals for crimes.

I am "liberal" on other subjects, such as same sex marriage. I believe if the religious institutions want to use the word "marriage" as meaning "a man and woman", I say fine. But when it comes to government I believe any loving couple should be able to make the same commitment to one another with EQUAL RIGHTS under the law. I am a mix of both sides splashed with a little middle of the road thinking.

By the way...in the "bush be gone" thread I was NOT defending the administration's unwarranted wiretapping as some may have believed. I was trying to point out the literal differences of invasions of privacy.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanWriter45 View Post

Hypocrites!
There's a couple of threads touching on 'Constitutional Issues' - I've decided to take them all on in one, hopefully-coherent thread. You may want to 'pop in' to give some feedback...

Old 05-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'd offer than many people who would be labeled "anti-gun" are all for RESPONSIBLE gun ownership and licensing... they just don't see policies which either require or encourage that practice. In a sense, the debate is much more about policies than it is the "issue".

I think both sides would find a good deal of common ground, if both extremes would lay down the rhetoric tossed at each other and calmly discuss rational gun ownership policies.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 05-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I'd offer than many people who would be labeled "anti-gun" are all for RESPONSIBLE gun ownership and licensing... they just don't see policies which either require or encourage that practice. In a sense, the debate is much more about policies than it is the "issue".

I think both sides would find a good deal of common ground, if both extremes would lay down the rhetoric tossed at each other and calmly discuss rational gun ownership policies.
Well said, sir. Well said.

(just don't take my M-4 away from me if I ever get one and I will be happy!)